IGNORED

My Swing (RandallT)

RandallT
Note: This thread is 2387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just reviewed the past year of this thread (after an offline chat with an anonymous friend here), and whew- the negativity I am projecting! Just wanted to clarify that I'm staying optimistic, even if this piece is kicking my butt for now.

In truth, I was a bit cocky and thought it'd be somewhat easy to get through some of these issues identified, but I remain undeterred. I'll focus on some highlights in the coming posts, not to delude myself or the audience- but to keep it a lighter tone here!

All is good, and I'll maintain course. Tomorrow I'll grab some video of my drills and post here. I just did a few more drills in the mirror, and it sure feels easy! Ha. The more I do them, the more easily I can do them, so I do think it's just a matter of time. I just need to stay focused and do what's asked of me, more accurately.

My next submission to the instructor will hopefully validate that I'm hitting a decent A5 and A6, with a shallower club (and without my right knee buckling in toward the ball). I'm hoping I can do it at some speed soon, but surely my slow motion drills should be getting pretty close now to where they need to be. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I may be wrong here, but I would say maybe it would benefit you to play more actual golf. Not saying to do in instead of practicing, but maybe in addition to? Sometimes we can get so focused on trying to hit specific positions in the swing that we aren't able to actually just swing the club freely. At least I know that happens to me once in awhile. That's why I'm trying to keep a good balance of practice + play. When I'm out playing a solo round I spend time hitting extra shots trying to make sure I make good swings or correct what I did on the previous swing if it was bad. It also allows me to practice real world shortgame shots from different lies that I can't replicate at the range. This is just my opinion and experience, so take with a grain of salt.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

10 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I may be wrong here, but I would say maybe it would benefit you to play more actual golf. Not saying to do in instead of practicing, but maybe in addition to? Sometimes we can get so focused on trying to hit specific positions in the swing that we aren't able to actually just swing the club freely. At least I know that happens to me once in awhile. That's why I'm trying to keep a good balance of practice + play. When I'm out playing a solo round I spend time hitting extra shots trying to make sure I make good swings or correct what I did on the previous swing if it was bad. It also allows me to practice real world shortgame shots from different lies that I can't replicate at the range. This is just my opinion and experience, so take with a grain of salt.

I hear you. I've been trying to do one round per week, but missed last week because of some stuff that came up at the last second. My thought is that I'd use those rounds as a checkpoint to see if I could bring the new motions to the course, as I feel I just revert back to my natural tendencies when I play with a group of people. Occasionally I'll be on my own, and I can experiment on the course, and that's productive- but the feel of those rounds is very different than when I have partners.

I might be able to bump up to twice per week, but I question if that's the best use of my time to achieve my goal of getting rid of my flaws that lead to inconsistency. I've played my entire life steep, early extension, etc. If I play more, sure- I can compensate better and get better at keeping the ball in play with that swing. I'm just wondering if that actually slows my progress in the long run. I get that the goal is to play REAL rounds, not practice, but if I can get a better diagonal sweet spot path, I truly think my golf will be a TON more satisfying on the course, and I'll be dying to ramp up my playing time then

Believe me, I'm aching to play more, but I want it to be good golf and I've got the time to get this right.

This video was just bumped up in another thread, and when the video is on the split-screen of Erik, I can REALLY identify with the right frame swing: the right elbow, the left arm stuck against the body, the early extension, the steepness to get there.

Since the video is all about where the club comes from and where it is heading, I am confident if I can get the club to A6 from a better (shallower) position at A5, then I won't feel the need to make all those same compensations to get to impact. The frequent result (big pushes, occasional hooks) described in that video for the Erik's swing in the right frame matches the shots I'm hitting.

I think this matches what my instructor is telling me, so I know what I need to do. Looking forward to a good range session today! 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

14 hours ago, RandallT said:

Just reviewed the past year of this thread (after an offline chat with an anonymous friend here), and whew- the negativity I am projecting! Just wanted to clarify that I'm staying optimistic, even if this piece is kicking my butt for now.

I don't think it's been particularly negative!  There are a few swing threads I'll sort of "keep up" with, because it's encouraging for me to see better players having to work hard to get certain pieces, and it's helpful to see HOW they practice to do it.

I think it's great that you're using it as a "diary", posting both success and struggles, and I've never thought it was overly negative.

58 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Believe me, I'm aching to play more, but I want it to be good golf and I've got the time to get this right.

Sounds like we need to organize an outing somewhere between DC and Pittsburgh... ;-)

- John

2 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Sounds like we need to organize an outing somewhere between DC and Pittsburgh... ;-)

Absolutely! I need an organizer badge next. Steep swings vs. Shallow swings matchup. Not sure which team I'll be on by match day.

Here's a few vids from today. Haven't fully digested, but initially it looks like some improvement. First the vids, then a couple screen shots.

Still a bit closed to the target, so I need to really open up hips/shoulders at a faster rate at the top of the downswing. My right knee is jutting less toward the ball. Still some improvement there to be had with my leg/footwork, but step in right direction, I hope.

A full shot to check on things:

My finish was different! Not sure where I got that bounceback thing, like I'm posing. Hilarious.

Here's a clip finished by an ignominious toe shot. Haven't analyzed to see what happened on that contact, but it's somewhat typical of my slow swings- hard to find the ball as well compared to when I really go after it:

Snapshot comparison time (left is May 2016, right is June 2016). 

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.44.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.42.23 AM.png

Above looks flatter at A5 (but still steep), and lead arm pointing more toward target (which I think I've heard is more desirable?). Some progress perhaps.

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.45.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.42.51 AM.png

Club has moved back a bit closer to my hands, but obviously needs to be more inside my hands to be on a better plane. My left arm is not as stuck to my chest, I think- something I've worked hard on (just relaxing it and letting it separate).

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.45.13 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.43.02 AM.png

Not sure, but hips look more open. When you compare videos, in May my head was coming up and away from the ball when compared to the address position. In June, my head was moving less upward, but still quite a bit away from the ball. So some improvement perhaps.

Next step, review all notes from instructor. Compare in detail to these vids, and more of the same, focusing on differences. Submit video early next week.

My Swing

• Administrator

Looks good.

One subtle thing - if your hands go more "out" toward the golf ball, the club will tend to fall in behind it. If they go "down" too early, the club will tip out.

The former shallows. The latter steepens.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think you are making good progress @RandallT. Shallowing is going to feel really different and your body may take some time to adjust. Baby steps on this one.

Michael

Just one thing I noticed and can go along with the "hands out" piece. Make sure when you're rehearsing these swings to have the left wrist flat or even a little bowed feeling.

Your's gets cupped. Will also help the club not tip out.

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 6.41.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 6.42.22 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a derail with some family issues and travel, but hoping to get back into golf and my swing again over the next few weeks. I took video at the range today, but it was quite a regression. After a good warmup, I did some relaxed swings. Right away, I knew it'd be a tough session. Just didn't feel right over the ball. Did the drills from my instructor, reviewed some of the video, but not happy that I was hitting positions very well. Final few balls were full swings, and the swing was about as steep as ever. I should have time tomorrow to get back at it. 

At first I thought I'd next submit a video again when I made some improvement, but my thought now is just submit whatever the heck it is that I'm doing now, because something feels off.

My Swing

First videos in a while. Submitting these to my instructor. I've been doing a ton of mirror work, but I think my heart has not been it (for a variety of reasons). The season is moving fast, and I thought I'd have more time to play and practice! My goals was to get to the range 4 days/week and play at least once. Unfortunately, that only lasted a few weeks.

Thus far, 6 rounds total, and likely just 2-3days/week at the range (very little golf over the last 3 weeks, however- other than mirror work). I'll try to make a big push for the remainder of the season, as I am determined to improve my swing. If I cannot do it this season, I doubt I'll ever be able to make much change. 

Here are the raw swings. Maybe some pic comparisons in an hour or two in subsequent posts, to see if there's much change yet.

My Swing

Before (August 2015) on left. Today on right. One improvement I notice immediately is the better camera!

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.12.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.13.10 PM.png

I think the top position has improved. Trying to stop short, but most are longer than this one below. I just happened to pick a short backswing, I think.

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.13.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.13.54 PM.png

Less steepness at A5. Although it still looks steep, if I draw the line from the club, it pretty much goes through the ball- not visually though. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.14.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.14.22 PM.png

Interestingly at A6, I seem to have lost most of my improvement, and the club doesn't stay inside the hands. My A6 hasn't changed much at all, but my right elbow is further in front of me, perhaps.

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.14.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.14.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.15.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.15.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.16.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.16.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.16.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.17.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.17.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.17.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.18.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.18.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.18.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.18.36 PM.png

Face on, I don't see much difference at all, frankly.  

Contact-wise, I played much better last year. By August 2015, I was shooting mid 80s. This year, so far, I've shot mostly mid90s, with a couple 100+ rounds. Once I shot an 87, I think (on a familiar course). The shots feel so much weaker, and more right this year. But honestly, I haven't played on the course much this year to get into a groove and the courses were quite wet when I did. 

The plan this year is to play once per week through the summer and continue hard work on the swing. This was my year to focus on getting more consistent contact, and my hope is that a more fundamentally sound swing will help with that. The problem is: I have played my whole life with a crappy swing that I was used to. It may take a while to get consistent contact with a new swing, right?

My Swing

I think the after is MUCH better. Particularly this one.

45 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.15.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-29 at 1.15.15 PM.png

Michael

mchepp is right -- that particular picture is leaps and bounds better.

It does take time to get consistent with a new move, even if the new move is more fundamentally sound than your old ingrained one. 

I don't have any particular advice to give, except for a small word of encouragement: Improvement in golf, much like weight loss, is by no means a steady line in one direction. It's ups and downs overtime to be in a better place than you were XYZ many months ago. Don't lose heart! 

Andrew M.

57 minutes ago, amoline said:

mchepp is right -- that particular picture is leaps and bounds better.

It does take time to get consistent with a new move, even if the new move is more fundamentally sound than your old ingrained one. 

I don't have any particular advice to give, except for a small word of encouragement: Improvement in golf, much like weight loss, is by no means a steady line in one direction. It's ups and downs overtime to be in a better place than you were XYZ many months ago. Don't lose heart! 

4 hours ago, mchepp said:

Thanks, guys! I just did some more mirror work after reviewing my last lesson and reviewing the above. I've figured it all out now! :-D Tomorrow, I'm sure my swing will be perfect! (How many times have we all said that the night before going back out to try out what you think is a breakthrough)

But yah, I do realize low and steady is where it's at, and I try not to get too discouraged with lack of progress week to week or month to month with how the swing looks. Even if I can't make the changes my instructor tells me each time, I think at a minimum, I'm solidifying gains from the past year that I think will pay off once I get out on the course regularly. I'm just always stunned with how hard it is to change the swing- I never thought it would be this hard (despite everyone telling me it was this hard!).

My Swing

• Administrator
7 hours ago, mchepp said:

Ditto.

And the FO are much better, too.

Seriously. Not blowing smoke.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit for the progress you've made. In the amount of time you've dedicated *and I use that word very specifically because you've demonstrated immense dedication to staying focused here* to fixing this issue you've made more progress than I have in all the time I've spent trying to eradicate my flip. If I had been half as focused and consistent with my work as you have I would be much further along than I am right now. I can see pretty significant improvements in basically all those side by side pictures you have up there. Don't give up, don't get discouraged. You are getting there, and even though it seems like you've been working on it a long time, it really hasn't been all that long for such a difficult thing to change.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

9 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit for the progress you've made. In the amount of time you've dedicated *and I use that word very specifically because you've demonstrated immense dedication to staying focused here* to fixing this issue you've made more progress than I have in all the time I've spent trying to eradicate my flip. If I had been half as focused and consistent with my work as you have I would be much further along than I am right now. I can see pretty significant improvements in basically all those side by side pictures you have up there. Don't give up, don't get discouraged. You are getting there, and even though it seems like you've been working on it a long time, it really hasn't been all that long for such a difficult thing to change.

Well, this was supposed to me my season to really, really, really focus on my swing. For real this time- not like last season. Or the one before that :-)

I'm considering an Erie trip like you did, but might be tough to get free for a couple days. Your trip looks like it was a good kickstart. I think I'm nearing a point where direct one-on-one, face-to-face instruction would go a long way.

Next chance we have to hook up at an outing or something, I'll have to tell you tales of my teen daughter who you met at our outing this past spring. Let's just say, she's a full time issue, some issue come to her, some she goes out and seeks! Argggh. Can get a dad off his golf game, that's for certain. Getting her off to a sleep-away camp later in the summer will be heaven! God help the counselors.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Ditto.

And the FO are much better, too.

Seriously. Not blowing smoke.

Great to hear. The next few weeks will give me more free time to get rolling again with daily range work perhaps (with a round per week possibly), so I'm looking forward to staying focused on what Stephan gives me to do. It has definitely been hard to get my body into new positions. I would think instructors must think "geez man, just do this, not that." Sometimes I feel like I've totally changed something, but I can't really see it in a pic or vid- and that can be trying on the soul. But I'm always impressed at the detailed eye an instructor has for spotting things in the swing- so I'll take your word for it!!

My Swing

Note: This thread is 2387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!