IGNORED

Back soreness

Stan13
Note: This thread is 3227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing/practicing a lot of golf lately and have some soreness that is nearly an injury in my upper back. My best guess is that this is due to me creating a lot of rotational torque/force in my swing to generate the power to hit a strong golf shot. I do not feel that I am trying to over swing or hit as hard as I can, it is just the pace which feels comfortable (which is still pretty aggressive). But lately I have noticed that I am having some significant soreness around my spine between my shoulder blades and is causing some intense pain for a few days.

It got to the point where I wondered if I was going to seriously injure myself. The odd thing is the way in which it hurts. If I make certain movements (ones which cause torque by my arms being extended) I have intense pain to the point where I cringe and almost am unable to do that movement. For example, I leaned over the kitchen counter to grab a bottle of water with my arms extended, and it hurt so much to lift the bottle up that I had to let go. However, other movements are just fine and I can do weight bearing exercises just fine. I was originally worried that I was causing some sort of issues in my spine, like disc related problems, but after paying attention to how and where it hurts, it more feels like it is just muscle related pain that is right next to the spine.

My question is, does anyone have suggestions on the best ways to:

1. Recover from muscle soreness

2. Work out to strengthen these muscles so I don't have soreness

I have a feeling that this might just be a break in period and that as long as I give myself some rest, the muscles will get better over time and won't be an issue. I just want to do what I can in the mean time to prevent major injury.

Thanks!

I'm no expert but if you practise a LOT make sure you warm up before and warm down after and rest In between, if your swing is aggressive and powerfull, and you rip 100 balls out frequently, without any prior stretching of the muscles, your gonna suffer eventually! I've done it myself, and I'm not even powerful!

Gaz Lee

What are some good warm-ups to do before hitting 100 balls at the range? I admit I have failed to adequately warm up, simply doing some light shoulder stretching. I feel like most of my soreness comes from my waist up.

Just some general light stretching of the back, neck, shoulders and torso for a few minutes, hit the first 10 balls nice and easy, the last 10 nice and easy, and some slow stretching when finished, it's not so bad on the course as your walking in between shots, but on a range there's no pause, so it's easy to strain ya muscles!

Gaz Lee

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely do more stretching before and after. I do feel like the issue is a little more than just stretching though. Maybe spacing my shots out more would be much better as well.

Yeah and alternate, get some easy 9&8 irons hit out in between, I've seen people drive 100 balls out non stop! grunting and moaning while they're doing it, all there muscles are tensing up and theyre red in the face! and you can hear them from the other side of the range! they're trying too hard! What's the rush, pause every now and then and loose up! Oh and keep good posture and balance!

Gaz Lee

• 1 month later...

I have been playing/practicing a lot of golf lately and have some soreness that is nearly an injury in my upper back. My best guess is that this is due to me creating a lot of rotational torque/force in my swing to generate the power to hit a strong golf shot. I do not feel that I am trying to over swing or hit as hard as I can, it is just the pace which feels comfortable (which is still pretty aggressive). But lately I have noticed that I am having some significant soreness around my spine between my shoulder blades and is causing some intense pain for a few days.

It got to the point where I wondered if I was going to seriously injure myself. The odd thing is the way in which it hurts. If I make certain movements (ones which cause torque by my arms being extended) I have intense pain to the point where I cringe and almost am unable to do that movement. For example, I leaned over the kitchen counter to grab a bottle of water with my arms extended, and it hurt so much to lift the bottle up that I had to let go. However, other movements are just fine and I can do weight bearing exercises just fine. I was originally worried that I was causing some sort of issues in my spine, like disc related problems, but after paying attention to how and where it hurts, it more feels like it is just muscle related pain that is right next to the spine.

My question is, does anyone have suggestions on the best ways to:

1. Recover from muscle soreness

2. Work out to strengthen these muscles so I don't have soreness

I have a feeling that this might just be a break in period and that as long as I give myself some rest, the muscles will get better over time and won't be an issue. I just want to do what I can in the mean time to prevent major injury.

Thanks!

Check this out, may be trying to stand too upright

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

If it's thoracic mobility, some good stuff you can do with a foam roller

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I stretch well before going out. That means I actually work up a sweat stretching. That is not extreme. You are supposed to sweat if stretching properly. Get a good massage once a month at least. If golf regularly or having more frequent problems work in a couple more massages. Work out the knots. When at home put an ice bag on the knots. Once starts getting numb leave on for 20 minutes. No more. Repeat as necessary. Sister is physical therapist. Can take this to the bank.

Is it just one side of the back or both sides? Like can you pick up a bottle of water with just your left hand and not your right. Also, is it a shooting pain down your arm, or just a sharp local pain in the back. If its a shooting pain down your arm, i would guess a nerve has been pinched. Is the pain only when you extend the arm, or lets say you try to pick up a book bag or duffle bag and throw it over your shoulder, does that cause pain? Is there pain if your posture changes, like if you slump your shoulders?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 year later...

I have experienced lower back pains so I walk an hour a day to help keep my back in shape and this helps eliminate most of my low back pain.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

You need to go see a doctor for a correct diagnosis. You may have a nerve/bone/muscle problem which could warrant significant medical treatment. Speaking only for myself, if the problem was painful enough, recurring,  and more importantly in my back, I would never look for remedy on a forum, regardless of the sport involved. Sometimes a suggestion, maybe, but not for a cure. Let the real experts guide you.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've found that sit ups (or crunches) are the best thing you can do for your back. I do 3 sets of 100 crunches before I go to the range or course. Only takes a few minutes. That burn feels great.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Before I begin at the range or on the course I do a little warm up routine. I do about 10-20 reps of all of these and start with

less motion and progress to more.

I take a longer club and hold it at the ends and raise it from chest level to over my head. Then I do squats while raising the

club overhead as I go down. I then hinge at the hips like I am going to touch my toes still with club in hands. Then I do a

rotation with the club held chest high and the lower body stable. This gets me good and warm sometime I break out in a slight sweat.

I also do some of these during my round and everyday at home. If you have any pain in any of these motions do not go into

that range till it no longer hurts. I agree with a previous post of seeing a professional if the pain is persistent and does not

respond to heat or ice. But I would see a physical therapist and not you family doctor. But I know that depends on

your insurance.

Doug

DOMS.  Delayed onset muscle soreness is a big headache for me.  Well, big body ache.  Something to do with the kind of muscle usage brings this soreness.   From Wikipedia

"The soreness is caused by eccentric exercise, that is, exercise consisting of eccentric (lengthening) contractions of the muscle. Isometric (static) exercise causes much less soreness, and concentric (shortening) exercise causes none." [1]

So i get tons of this by over stretching doing my yoga routine and i admit i'm a yoga nutcase. Maybe the golf swing, the full extension of the muscles, brings some soreness to you.  The only relief i ever found was yoga more often and less vigorous.  But less vigorous is so boring.

If you are over 40, then some back soreness is to be expected.  If it is really painful, then it could be a medical problem or maybe there is something in your swing that is causing too much pressure.  Golfers make swing changes throughout their lives to adjust to the changes of aging.

I'm 52 and I'm experiencing lower back pain on my right side and back spasms at night and first thing in the morning.  I'm right handed.  I've always had poor posture and I'm either working in front of a computer or traveling by car or plane.  I'm trying all the following and it seems to help a great deal.  I don't know which of these help the most, but I was desperate, so I'm doing a "full assault."

Stretch every day (I plan on start doing it 2x a day right after I wake and right before bedtime).  Concentrate on hamstring, hip and spinal erector.

Aerobic and strength training in the gym.  I try to get there 2-3x per week, but sometimes only make it once.  I also do the foam roller thing like in the video above.

Stay hydrated, especially while playing.  I use a sugar free electrolyte tablet for at least 1-2 bottles of water while playing.

Ibuprofen right before I play and right after

Icy Hot before I play

Ice for 20 minutes after I play.  I got an inexpensive re-usable pack with an elastic band at the drug store that's made for the back.

Analgesic pads after I ice and after I take a shower.  These are the stick-on pads that have an icy hot and pain relief component to them.

Heating pad for 20 minutes at a time if it's still sore between rounds.  And, more of the analgesic pads, if needed.

Massage once per month

And, here's a real trick, but be careful with this one.  I have a solid glass paperweight that's in the shape of a ball about the size of a tennis ball I use to stretch my spinal erectors and top of my glutes.  I do this once per week by just laying on my back and applying pressure with the ball on the tight parts of my back.  Man, it feels good.

Robert Spann

:ping: :adidas: :adams: :leupold: :nike: :srixon: :nickent:

Note: This thread is 3227 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!