IGNORED

Laser Range Finders

Note:Β This thread is 3774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have had mine for just over 3 years. I bought the V2 for 299 in 2010. That is like .25 a day. Who can't afford that? I say you can't afford not to have one. Here is the thread I started back then.

I love my Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

I like the way you think. I'm going to use that excuse next time I buy something expensive :)

"You know, if I use these clubs for two years, it's like I'm paying $1 a day."

Bought a v2 w/slope for $299.00 last year, the slope feature is nice but not essential to getting accurate distances slight inclines only add 2 or 3 yards from 150 yards it's the real severe ones that it really comes in handy.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3Β  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tourΒ Β 14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I like the way you think. I'm going to use that excuse next time I buy something expensive :)

"You know, if I use these clubs for two years, it's like I'm paying $1 a day."

Better yet:

"If I buy this Maserati and drive it until I'm retired, it's not really a $2,000,000 car. It's more like a $200 a day investment in getting to work on time."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you can afford it, buy one.Β  Then when you get a bit more money, buy a Skycaddie.Β  I have both.Β  I love the Skycaddie because it has a picture layout of the hole being played.Β  It also gives you yardage to the front, middle and back of the green.Β  The laser can tell you how far it is to the flag itself, but it can't necessarily tell you how much room you have behind the flag before you are over the green.Β  I can pull up to the ball, look at the Skycaddie, shoot the flag, pull a club and execute the shot in less than 20 seconds.Β  I have heard people say that people with multiple devices take too long.Β  20 seconds is an allowable time according to the USGA.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids:Β TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thruΒ LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball:Β TM Tour Preferred XΒ or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.comΒ Β A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Just joined the Trap! Nice to be here. Timely topic about GPS/lasers as I'm just getting back into the game after seven years away and trying to figure out which direction to take. As Rick just mentioned, having the hole depiction on a gps withΒ distances to front/center/ back, hazards, layup distances, etc seems very helpful, especially on new courses. Lasers are perfect and I do plan on putting a lot of time at the range so a laser sounds like a good tool to have. Another little wrinkle is that I just got a new phone and have an iphone 4 just laying around. I was thinking of just getting the Golfshot app but am really liking the the idea of the laser, especially for the range. Now I could trade in my phone for $200Β and not pay $30 for Golfshot ($230 total) which is just about the cost of a Skycaddie. The only thing about the new SkyCaddie is that reviews on it are very mediocre. So, now that you guys are convincing me to get a laser ;-);-) , or at least seriously look at them, what is the better GPS option, ipone with Golfshot, which just about everybody seems to really like, or the SkyCaddie?

Appreciate any advice.

Just joined the Trap! Nice to be here. Timely topic about GPS/lasers as I'm just getting back into the game after seven years away and trying to figure out which direction to take. As Rick just mentioned, having the hole depiction on a gps withΒ distances to front/center/ back, hazards, layup distances, etc seems very helpful, especially on new courses. Lasers are perfect and I do plan on putting a lot of time at the range so a laser sounds like a good tool to have. Another little wrinkle is that I just got a new phone and have an iphone 4 just laying around. I was thinking of just getting the Golfshot app but am really liking the the idea of the laser, especially for the range. Now I could trade in my phone for $200Β and not pay $30 for Golfshot ($230 total) which is just about the cost of a Skycaddie. The only thing about the new SkyCaddie is that reviews on it are very mediocre. So, now that you guys are convincing me to get a laser , or at least seriously look at them, what is the better GPS option, ipone with Golfshot, which just about everybody seems to really like, or the SkyCaddie?

Appreciate any advice.

I use either GolfLogix or FreeCaddie for Android. Both free and get the job done (for me at least).

• 2 months later...

I've only had mine about a month (Bushnell Tour V2), but I love it. HIghly recommend getting a laser. I've used GPSes before too, but definitely prefer the laser.

@jamo ... it's been a few more months since you got this; would you still recommend it??

I've got a couple of GC's burning holes in my pocket (one to Amazon, one to Roger Dunns, and one to Golf Galaxy) and I'm trying to think of what I could get with each of them.Β  The rangefinder is the only thing left on my "wishlist" for golf right now, (besides an Edel putter) so I'm seriously considering it.

Yours is the "cheap" one, right?Β  $299 I think?

FWIW, I got the V2 with pinseeker a few months ago. $179 refurbished on ebay. Β  Β Here's one for $219 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-5x24-Tour-V2-Patriot-Rangefinder-Pack-201934P-/131015967547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash;=item1e8129033b

I don't know that its any easier to use than a GPS, I really liked using GPS. Β But you play tournaments, so its definitely worth it.

What I like the most is that I don't have to keep pulling out my phone. Β I feel a little less "connected" even though I still pop in my score between holes.

Dan

:tmade:Β R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14Β 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron:Β Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

@jamo ... it's been a few more months since you got this; would you still recommend it?? I've got a couple of GC's burning holes in my pocket (one to Amazon, one to Roger Dunns, and one to Golf Galaxy) and I'm trying to think of what I could get with each of them.Β  The rangefinder is the only thing left on my "wishlist" for golf right now, (besides an Edel putter) so I'm seriously considering it. Yours is the "cheap" one, right?Β  $299 I think?

The V2 should be even cheaper than that since the V3 is out now. I got the Patriot Pack too, so it included a case, a rubber cover, and a spare battery. I think they still make those for the V3, but without the rubber cover. But yeah, I like it, and am glad I bought one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

FWIW, I got the V2 with pinseeker a few months ago. $179 refurbished on ebay. Β  Β Here's one for $219Β http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-5x24-Tour-V2-Patriot-Rangefinder-Pack-201934P-/131015967547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash;=item1e8129033b

I don't know that its any easier to use than a GPS, I really liked using GPS. Β But you play tournaments, so its definitely worth it.

What I like the most is that I don't have to keep pulling out my phone. Β I feel a little less "connected" even though I still pop in my score between holes.

Right.Β  It's a combination of knowing it's legal everywhere I play (no smart phones allowed in the tournaments sometimes) and of peace of mind in knowing that it's accurate.Β  I like my phone gps app because it's pretty simple, but sometimes its off (I've stood next to a friend with the same app on the same phone and gotten drastically different readings) ... and it drains the crud out of my phone battery.

And I don't have to enter my scores as I play, I can easily put my entire score into golfshot after the round from memory anyway.

Have the Bushnell V2 with slope, I think golfsmith messed up and only charged me $299.00 I tried to tell them I didn't think that's right but they insisted so I went along. Anyways I just can't imagine playing a round without it now even on my home course I just have to know exactly what the distance is. One thing I do and everyone who has one should is always carry an extra battery it gives no warning when it gets low. The slope option will absolutely save your ass on those severe elevations I remember one hole had a 25 yard adjustment and I nailed it 5 feet from the cup I'm sure I would have either misclubbed or tried to back off on something and mess up. LOL forgot I posted earlier in this thread.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3Β  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tourΒ Β 14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

@jamoΒ ... it's been a few more months since you got this; would you still recommend it??

I've got a couple of GC's burning holes in my pocket (one to Amazon, one to Roger Dunns, and one to Golf Galaxy) and I'm trying to think of what I could get with each of them.Β  The rangefinder is the only thing left on my "wishlist" for golf right now, (besides an Edel putter) so I'm seriously considering it.

Yours is the "cheap" one, right?Β  $299 I think?

@Golfingdad , I know you were asking jamo, but I thought I'd give my input since I've had mine for quite a while now. I have the GX-1, which is Leupold's equivalent to the V2 and I love it. It gives quick, accurate readings and is simple to use. It's especially nice when the flags have prisms on them because you'll get an audible beep letting you know that you've locked in on the pin; however, the pins don't need to have the prisms for it to work. In stores, the thing runs $299, which is a good price, although you can probably find it cheaper on eBay (that's where I got mine, I paid $200). The only laser I would prefer over mine is the GX-3 as it has the red OLED display which I like, but that costs another $100. If you go the Leupold route, just make sure you stay away from the GX-2 and GX-4, as they are basically the GX-1 and GX-3 but with slope capabilities; that'll make them illegal to use in tournaments.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

Just thinking out loud here ...

I wonder if lasers provide one extra teeny, tiny bit of help due to the fact that you are training your focus on your target as you get your yardage?Β  With a GPS, you are getting a number, but you are looking down at a computer screen and have to reconcile that number to a spot on the course yourself.Β  If it says 175 to clear the "WTR ON LEFT" for example, its still up to you to determine exactly what that means.Β  Since, you know, most water hazards aren't geometrically designed, and aren't square to the fairway.

A laser, on the other hand, leaves zero doubt as to the point you are aiming for because you choose it.Β  It's in your mind, it's in your vision.Β  I can't help but think that a little bit of extra confidence comes from SEEING your target like that.

• Upvote 1

@Golfingdad, I know you were asking jamo, but I thought I'd give my input since I've had mine for quite a while now. I have the GX-1, which is Leupold's equivalent to the V2 and I love it. It gives quick, accurate readings and is simple to use. It's especially nice when the flags have prisms on them because you'll get an audible beep letting you know that you've locked in on the pin; however, the pins don't need to have the prisms for it to work. In stores, the thing runs $299, which is a good price, although you can probably find it cheaper on eBay (that's where I got mine, I paid $200). The only laser I would prefer over mine is the GX-3 as it has the red OLED display which I like, but that costs another $100. If you go the Leupold route, just make sure you stay away from the GX-2 and GX-4, as they are basically the GX-1 and GX-3 but with slope capabilities; that'll make them illegal to use in tournaments.

Thanks, I'll look at those too!Β  (I only asked jamo specifically because I remembered that he had one) :)

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into it. ;) Sometimes I'll try to shoot the pin but get a tree behind the green. As long as you're thinking you should know the number doesn't sound right. Measure twice, cut once, right? You may miss the gps when you have a blind shot, but you can always walk up, shoot the pin, and then shoot your ball and add it together.

Dan

:tmade:Β R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14Β 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron:Β Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into it. ;)

LOL ... yes I really want one!Β  But the reason why I'm leaning towards it currently is because I have the gift cards.Β  Of course, the problem is that golfgalaxy only has new v3's at $300, and I can go to ebay and get v2's, it appears, for $200 or less.

But then, what am I going to get with my gift card?? ;)

Sometimes I'll try to shoot the pin but get a tree behind the green. As long as you're thinking you should know the number doesn't sound right. Measure twice, cut once, right?

You may miss the gps when you have a blind shot, but you can always walk up, shoot the pin, and then shoot your ball and add it together.

The good news is that most courses around here, and especially the ones where the tournaments are held, usually have gps in the carts.Β  So I kind of have a built in check.

Example:Β  Last Sunday we noticed that the GPS was off by a few yards (compared to the laser that a FC had) on the first hole.Β  On the 3rd hole it showed us at about 95 yards from the pin.Β  FC shot it with his laser and said its actually 105.Β  I didn't believe him** and went ahead with the 95 number.Β  We got to the green and I noticed that the hazard behind the green (which had trees and bushes growing up higher than the flag) was pretty close to 10 yards beyond the flag so I'm thinking that is exactly what he did.

**So, a lot of the courses around here give a "to the pin" number on their GPSs in the cart.Β  Since all of the stuff for GPSs (as I understand it) is pre-mapped out, I have to assume that that number is always an estimate.Β  Like, they pre-programmed their green quadrants, and then use that number every time, even though each time they stick the hole in that quadrant it could very by several yards.Β  This particular hole had something like 95 to the flag, 100 to the back of the green, and 75 or something to the front of the green.Β  My assumption was that since the front and back of the green never move that those numbers were probably right, which is why I said I didn't trust his laser number.Β  (Not because I thought he as lying to me or anything ;))

Note:Β This thread is 3774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!