IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

5 hours ago, dkolo said:

Your swing looks great! Way better than mine! You've got the centered turn I'm only beginning to work on.

Dude, you're on crack (:-$) but thank you. 

5 hours ago, dkolo said:

Only thing that really pops out is what @RandallT also mentioned: that your head seems to be turning a bunch at the very top of the backswing. I have that happen sometimes in drills when I'm more focused on a takeaway thought instead of impact, but try to stay looking at the ball as much as you can. 

Yeah, I was looking back at the video I took back in November when I last played and my head doesn't move that much or as much as in these videos.  I think part of the reason for the head movement is that in the drill (before the camera was filming in 3 out of 4 of these videos) I was bringing the club back and I would move my head back to check the position of my wrist and that I was laying my club shaft down at the top of my back swing and I might have subconsciously moved it when I would do the full swing, even at slow speeds.  

Then again, my head may move slightly because the swing path of my back swing is such that my lead bicep seems to nudge my head slightly before or at A4 and I've never really figured out how to have it not do that and still feel in control of my swing and not feel completely uncomfortable.  

567dfafd3690b_topofbackswing.jpg.4625e70

Both.jpg.30323129906de3943e2f5ab3e90aed2

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"I would keep a steady head, but my pythons, they're just too big!"

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

13 minutes ago, dkolo said:

"I would keep a steady head, but my pythons, they're just too big!"

They are! 

(or I'm just doing something wrong, haha).

Nah, I updated my previous post to insert a FO view from the last time I played and as you can see, there is a slight movement.  I've been told that a slight head movement isn't the worst thing so I don't concern myself that much with it at this point in the swing.

• Upvote 1

Christian

• 3 months later...

After taking the winter off, I come back to a brutal driver swing (although all of my swings have always been pretty brutal).  This season has started with my ball flight either being straight draw or an overdone push draw.  I went to the range today and tried to correct the issue and get back to the basics.  However, by the end of the range session, I went from straight drawing and over doing the push draws to spraying the ball all over the place with a bunch of different ball flights.  Here are a couple with the driver that I took towards the end.  I thought I had the settings of the camera set to 240 PFS but I didn't. :-(

On the bright side, I'm more consistent in making much better contact with my fairway woods.  I watched a youtube video and in it they said to concentrate on starting the downswing by shifting the weight forward.  So, that's the thought I have in my head when swinging a fairway wood.

Christian

Well you look like a golfer strong build and such,but looks like you lack the basics. I would listen to the instructor and start with the grip and stance and alignment first. Don't put the cart before the horse your in a great position to ingrain terrible habits or improve rapidly.

Once you get the basics down hit irons on a tee only say 5 iron. With your new proper setup and grip hit shots 35% of full distance over and over again in the air to a mini target. This may be boring but it's the only way to start. You should get your desired shot flight at that low speed without fatal errors that ingrain bad muscle memory. Think proper takeaway,mini weight shift then followthtough. This swing has motion it's turns to about 60% and finishes fully. Don't do this like a robot think of it as a big chip with wrist action. This is your new practice routine with all your irons. ditch the woods thinking I can smack it! you will improve way 10x faster this way until you move to the next level in your progress.

''Here is a nice visual''

images (1).jpg

8 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

After taking the winter off, I come back to a brutal driver swing (although all of my swings have always been pretty brutal).  This season has started with my ball flight either being straight draw or an overdone push draw.  I went to the range today and tried to correct the issue and get back to the basics.  However, by the end of the range session, I went from straight drawing and over doing the push draws to spraying the ball all over the place with a bunch of different ball flights.  Here are a couple with the driver that I took towards the end.  I thought I had the settings of the camera set to 240 PFS but I didn't. :-(

On the bright side, I'm more consistent in making much better contact with my fairway woods.  I watched a youtube video and in it they said to concentrate on starting the downswing by shifting the weight forward.  So, that's the thought I have in my head when swinging a fairway wood.

Slow your practice down a bit. If you haven't hit balls or swung the club much, you need to focus on getting your sequence timing back. It is hard to do that at full speed. Try 25 -50% swing speeds and focus on the centered turn, weight shift forward, flat left arm at impact, etc. 

Also, if you hit a lot of full swing shots, you are probably tired at the end of the session, so ignore the ball flight on those.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Slow your practice down a bit. If you haven't hit balls or swung the club much, you need to focus on getting your sequence timing back. It is hard to do that at full speed. Try 25 -50% swing speeds and focus on the centered turn, weight shift forward, flat left arm at impact, etc. 

Also, if you hit a lot of full swing shots, you are probably tired at the end of the session, so ignore the ball flight on those.

Thanks for the reset, @boogielicious.  

Yeah, should def have done slower swings and focusing on getting to the positions I want to be at by the time I get to certain points in the swing.

Christian

• 5 weeks later...

A few swings from the range today.  For some reason, the 7I DTL wasn't on my camera when I got home.  

It seems I forgot how to get my weight forward with the 7 iron and that I forgot how to make a decent swing with the driver. :drool:

I think the only thing I did somewhat decent that I was concentrating on was keeping a steady head and not let it jump forward on the follow through.  That said, I guess not practicing leads to a really ugly swing.  Predictably, the resulting shots were nothing to write home about. 

Christian

How's the ball flight, looks like your coming from the inside nicely, are you seeing a lot of push draws these days?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

1 hour ago, Abu3baid said:

How's the ball flight, looks like your coming from the inside nicely, are you seeing a lot of push draws these days?

Thanks!  At least I'm doing something right, haha.

The majority of the time my ball flight is either a push draw or a straight draw with a few straight pushes or straight shots.  I guess the takeaway from that is that I'm super inconsistent with my club face at impact as it relates to target.

But not being able to plan what kind of shot you'll hit with any regularly hurts.  On Sunday, my second shot of the day, I hit my 3W and hit a straight draw OB about 100-150 feet left of target.  I re-hit and this time I only hit it 50 feet left of target - in play.

Christian

11 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Thanks!  At least I'm doing something right, haha.

The majority of the time my ball flight is either a push draw or a straight draw with a few straight pushes or straight shots.  I guess the takeaway from that is that I'm super inconsistent with my club face at impact as it relates to target.

But not being able to plan what kind of shot you'll hit with any regularly hurts.  On Sunday, my second shot of the day, I hit my 3W and hit a straight draw OB about 100-150 feet left of target.  I re-hit and this time I only hit it 50 feet left of target - in play.

Pshaw....that's nothing....I can hit one twice that far off line.

Colin P.

Just now, colin007 said:

Pshaw....that's nothing....I can hit one twice that far off line.

Obviously playing with you had a back affect on me since in those swings, I'm flipping the club like you.  :blink:

Christian

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

Obviously playing with you had a back affect on me since in those swings, I'm flipping the club like you.  :blink:

Flipping? Didn't I give you a lesson on flighting short irons on the par 3s? Lol....

Colin P.

8 hours ago, colin007 said:

Flipping? Didn't I give you a lesson on flighting short irons on the par 3s? Lol....

I must be doing it wrong - the ball is going way too far.  I flighted my 60 degree wedge 105 yards.  I know I've been going to the gym but I don't think I should increase my distances that much!  Haha. 

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd post a video demonstrating what my Evolvr instructor has me working on.

This drill I'm trying to get my shoulders level or, at most, having my front shoulder be 10° higher than my trail shoulder at A6 while also having the clubhead be behind my hands when viewed DTL.  He said that I should start my backswing, pause at A4, then pause again at A6, and then hit the shot.  I sent him this video and he said that I should go slower and that after my pause at A6, that as I hit the shot, the clubhead goes in front of my hands but that my front shoulder is roughly borderline 10° above my trail shoulder.  I used my phone to videotape this (thanks @colin007 for filming!) but will likely do the next video for my instructor using my regular camera so as to increase the FPS.

Anyway, here are the videos.

Christian

Hey no prob bro!

Those videos look like the vids of you trying the flighted shot, not any drill. Did you post the right ones?

Colin P.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, colin007 said:

Those videos look like the vids of you trying the flighted shot, not any drill. Did you post the right ones?

Yeah, I don't see any drills going on there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets