IGNORED

How do you become an Assistant Pro at a Golf Course?

LSXG8GT
Note: This thread is 3836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for the life lessons but I really don't need it. I can come up with the same list you did and all the hard schooling and work to go with it. The basis of my whole question is of what is the road leading to a career in golf, AKA being a Golf Professional somewhere. Unfortunately by the rules of the PGA, you have to be an Assistant Pro first. I don't really know what the salary of a Club Pro is, but if rewarding enough, then yes I would consider going for it. Obviously that's a huge thing to consider, but I would take the pay cut to take that road if I had to, because to me it's like going back to school for another degree again... Been there, been broke, done that, made it through.

Since posting my question of "How do I become an Assistant Pro,"  all I've gotten back is why I shouldn't be one because I'm an engineer and I do well enough, so therefore don't chase something I might really want to do... Some guys just think a little differently I guess.

Thanks.

I can see your point that maybe some of us ventured off topic and didn't answer your question, but at the same time I don't see how your current salary factors into the information that you thought we might need to help you out? If you post on an internet forum that you are toying with the idea of leaving 6 figures to be an assistant golf pro, then you have to expect to get some responses like this. That doesn't mean they're right or wrong, it's still up to you to do whatever makes you happy.

I have no clue to the route of becoming an assistant pro, so I'm of no help to you. However, I would think going to a local country club or course and asking the current pro how to do it would be a good start.

• Upvote 1

On the PGA of America website, there is a tab that lists the steps that one can take to become a PGA member. On the question of pay: in the early 90's, I was an assistant superintendent at a course in NC. I was sharing an apartment with the #1 assistant pro at the course. We figured that based on the ammount of hours he worked, on his salary, he made less per hour than the lowest paid member of the golf course crew.

On the PGA of America website, there is a tab that lists the steps that one can take to become a PGA member. On the question of pay: in the early 90's, I was an assistant superintendent at a course in NC. I was sharing an apartment with the #1 assistant pro at the course. We figured that based on the ammount of hours he worked, on his salary, he made less per hour than the lowest paid member of the golf course crew.

Ouch, well that sucks. I guess I should have said and enforced "if it's worth it" in my original post since some guys are taking it as "Hey, I'm gunna quit my good paying job and become an Assistant Pro instead." I really thought the assistants made more. Still not sure how much the average Course Pro rakes in but sounds lower than hoped. Oh well.

I totally agree with you, unless he lacked other skills like engineering. Btw Tmac20, based on your avatar, I mistook you for a middle aged man. Sorry...

That's David Feherty! :-P

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont have anything to add of substance as I have never been a golf pro but I will say this.... Go for it if that makes you happy, best of luck buddy! I traveled a similar path in my early-mid 20's. I have a degree and was making roughly 70k a year but every day was a drag and felt unsatisfied if nothing else. I left to try my hand as a fly fishing guide. Different industry but a lot of parallels there. I went from making a nice, comfortable wage to comparitively peanuts. I learned the business from the ground up and guess what, I survived... Happily. Money is indeed not everything. I dont think I ever topped $25k a year doing it but the seven years I did so, I never worked a day. I had a blast. Now I am in my mid 30's with a home, a wife and a family and back in the profession I got my degree for. No regrets and I never wonder "what if". So with all of that, I say, if you want to, do it! Do it while you are young and have relatively few responsibilities. You can always get back into engineering later. Better than taking the what ifs to your grave. Best of luck!

I'm currently in the process of becoming an assistant pro.  I passed the PAT test with flying colors, which is valid for 2 yrs.  There's a rules test that will be good for 6months i think, and the background check thats good for a year.  With all those and working 36hrs at a course per week labeled as an assistant pro, you can apply to enter the apprenticeship program.  Being an assistant pro is just a label saying you want to be in the program or u are in the program.  I'm not expecting a huge paycheck, but its free golf and doing what I love to do.  I currently work minimum wage and live happily, so I'm fine with doing the program.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Get out! Get out NOW!. I'm also a mechanical engineer who has been working in manufacturing for 34 years, making north of 6 figures, and I'm trapped. Trapped, I tell you. Get out before you get married. Before you have kids. Before you buy a house. You'll be trapped like me. You'll work in this drudge of a job and miss out on following your passion.

Wait a minute...

Now the kids are through college, the house is payed off, I can afford to buy whatever golf equipment I want and go on golf trips whenever I want (within reason of course, and with HER permission). Since I don't play golf very well, quite possibly it was a good move to remain a mill grunt and make the good bucks.

But that is my life story. Your mileage may vary.

Follow your dream.

Thanks for the life lessons but I really don't need it. I can come up with the same list you did and all the hard schooling and work to go with it.

You posted on an internet forum asking for life advice.

I would want this job as well. My plan is for a degree as a mech eng or ind eng but would love to work in the golf industry. My dad dosnt recommend it because of how much they make but heck, all my money would go to golf anyway!

I realize grass is greener on the other side and blah blah blah....but goddamn what I'd give to be making 100k a year :-P

With the amount of money and freedom, I'd travel in my free time and play ALL OVER the world. I'd consider it experience. After that you can most likely afford an early retirement and THEN become an assistant pro. You'll be doing what you love but also have all the luxuries that your 100k a year job has given you.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• Administrator

Also remember that most people who work in the golf industry end up hating golf.

That's not true. They just never get to play it anymore.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's just plain crazy stupid talk................

Hey, I'm a college grad/engineer making XXX....but I want to quit so I can work the register at the local golf shop for near minimum wage.   Go ahead...do it..if it makes you happy.  LOL...fn goofball..

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I work as an Engineer too. I quite enjoy it at the moment.

My opinion is that if you do something every day, as a job, I think you will invariably get tired of doing it. This may well include golf! In my experience the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Do you want to risk losing your passion for golf?

On the money front, when you have a house and a family, I think you will be most pleased to have money. It may seem like you don't need it now. Besides on your wage with some planning you could retire pretty early and play golf whenever you feel like it.

But if you really think it will make you happy then go for it!!

Pretty much.  This is why I was in no hurry to blast through college and start the grind.

The most money I've ever made in a year was about 35 K and I felt like I could live like a king.  The sad thing is that's not even a lot of money (imo) and I wouldn't settle for that much today.  But going from 100 K to 25-30 K or whatever... I think you would be in for a bit of a rude awakening.  I'm with you 200% that it's important to do something you at least somewhat enjoy for a living but if I were in your (OP) position I would test the waters from my current job so I didn't end up screwing myself.

To answer your question more directly, just call up a few pros and ask how they got their job.  If you're sincere I'm sure they would be glad to give you some advice.  Just don't come across like you're trying to steal their job.

I noticed you are from Massachusetts. What part?. if you stay in the northeast you will get layed off every winter. If you  truly want ot do it I say go for it but, do your homework and realize unless you land in a top notch club as a first assistant you will be poor for awhile.

Do you know who Assistant Pros are most jealous of? Guys who are 27 making 100K+ a year that can play anywhere at anytime they want.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

That's just plain crazy stupid talk................ Hey, I'm a college grad/engineer making XXX....but I want to quit so I can work the register at the local golf shop for near minimum wage.   Go ahead...do it..if it makes you happy.  LOL...fn goofball..

You are a cold, heartless man...... .....who speaks the truth! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!