IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

Maverick (1994) - Long putt for a Birdie

Just a total nostalgic movie for me. Just a movie I always really enjoyed watching. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the past month or so, on many nights, I have gotten tired a lot earlier than I used to, and some of those nights I don't have the energy to do much except watch a movie.  Last night was one such night and I watched Out of Office.  I still don't know what to make of this movie.  I enjoyed it for the most part;  it had some very funny moments and has a cast I really like.  And of course if I have the opportunity to see a new movie that Milana Vayntrub is in, I will very likely watch it.  A year or so ago I think it was, I watched the surprisingly not bad at all Werewolves Within for that reason.  

Anyway, the movie had some very funny moments and only briefly brought back some bad memories.  I give it a par.  It did what it was supposed to do and did it well.  Par is a good score.   It hit a tee shot that got into play and settled where it could be advanced to the green.  The second shot settled on the green.  The first putt wandered and settled on the edge of the range where you should make with high frequency, and then it made that putt. 

I'm not super eager to watch it again and I do recommend it to others.  I might watch it again if it comes up in conversation and it makes sense to sit down with a friend to watch it and they haven't seen it.  Basically I'm saying it isn't spectacular, but I'm glad I watched it.   But I still don't know what to make of it. 

For those who don't want to look it up, other great cast members include Ken Jeong, Leslie Jones, Jay Pharoah, and Jason Alexander. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Shindig said:

Last night was one such night and I watched Out of Office.  I still don't know what to make of this movie.  I enjoyed it for the most part;  it had some very funny moments and has a cast I really like.  And of course if I have the opportunity to see a new movie that Milana Vayntrub is in, I will very likely watch it.  A year or so ago I think it was, I watched the surprisingly not bad at all Werewolves Within for that reason.

I watched this movie and was too embarrassed to post about it here. Double bogey. The kindest thing I can say about it is that it was "thin."

Never looked like a par, but snuck in a bogey by making a ten-foot putt.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Mississippi Masala. Eagle. 1990s movie that is hard to find, streaming or otherwise, restored to 4K maybe even HDR the colors do pop, on Criterion Channel. Denzel is soooo young here, this is like his 4th or 5th movie, and you can see the charisma coming off the screen as well as his chemistry with Sarita Choudhury. Wish I had my head as straight as the lead couple at that age despite their inexperience. And more movies like this were made. Interracial relationships can be difficult and not many are depicted with delicate nuance on screen.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Finally watched X, so many people were recommending it to me. Birdie. Not a horror genre fan but have watched a few,  on the other hand have never watched any of the Texas Chainsaw Massacres so no reference to compare it to. It went places I didn't expect to go and now I'm versed in terms like grindhouse and final girl. Will definitely see Pearl when I get a chance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

The Highwaymen, a movie with Costner and Harrelson about the ambush and killing of Bonnie and Clyde. It really helps to know the background of who the people are and all that stuff, but I thought it was pretty well done, all told. I give it a par. Not spectacular, but very good.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 10/15/2022 at 3:36 AM, iacas said:

The Highwaymen, a movie with Costner and Harrelson about the ambush and killing of Bonnie and Clyde. It really helps to know the background of who the people are and all that stuff, but I thought it was pretty well done, all told. I give it a par. Not spectacular, but very good.

Yeah, I feel like movie kind of expects you to know real life story to enjoy movie properly. Pretty good nevertheless!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Luckiest Girl Alive, birdie. Better than I thought it would be. I'm not going to pretend I can relate to the main character, but I think the acting felt honest and real, mixed with the tragedy/horror of a school shooting. It was a strong message.

I loved the last scene, too.

Barbarians - Birdie. Funnier than I expected. Better watched without knowing anything going in. And in a theater. Which makes it hard to say anything about it other than worst Airbnb ever.

Tár - Birdie. If you don't follow classical music, the first hour is gonna bore you. Unless you're a big Cate Blanchett fan. Reviews will say it's about cancel culture. Other reviews will say it's not about cancel culture. Kind of both. Tries to have it both ways.

Decision to Leave - Eagle. Shades of Hitchcock, Vertigo, namely. With a modern smartphone smartwatch virtual spin, a lot happens and you'll be trying to catch up.

Steve

On 10/30/2022 at 10:01 PM, iacas said:

mixed with the tragedy/horror of a school shooting.

Haven't seen this, will put it on my list. Have you seen We Need to Talk About Kevin? I thought it was a strong movie about school violence (I won't say any more) from the perspective of the family.

• Administrator

I watched From Scratch starring Zoe Saldaña (on Netflix) (based on this book). It's an eight-episode mini series. I consider it more of a LONG movie than a TV show.

I give it a birdie. It's not my typical type of film, but I'm really glad I watched it. It feels very real. The families, even though they're not quite like my own, are perfect in their imperfections, and how they're working together  while not always getting along together. It's a good story, a sad story, and again… just very real.

Big fan of Zoe.

• Administrator

All the Old Knives, birdie. I like thrillers, particularly if you can't quite guess what the twists are, and though this one didn't quite get to that point, it's got good pacing, good flashback usage, etc. I don't entirely love the acting, but it was no worse than competent, and didn't detract from the story.

Absolutely no need for a re-watch, but good to see once.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is off topic, but I like podcasts or videos of how movies were made or interesting stories behind the making of movies. One of my favorite podcasts is The Rewatchables. 

This video, where James Cameron goes over some of his iconic films is fascinating. His mind for detail is amazing. He has directed some of my favorite movies of all time. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator

I downloaded that and will watch it later. Thanks @saevel25.

Just got back from seeing Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

I will give it a tap in Par. It was slow in some parts, but I get why due to having to introduce a new main character for the Black Panther series. So, they needed to continue with the overall story arch of the Black Panther series, but also give the main character more background. Then they needed to add in new backstory for the next entity/plot device added to the Marvel Universe. So at 161 minutes, you can feel the movie is that long. Besides that, the characters were good, and had great chemistry. I like new plot they added to the Marvel Universe. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Top Gun: Maverick. Yes, I just only now saw it (and not in a theater: I haven't gone to one of those in ages)! 

I give it a birdie from long range. The flying sequences are really cool and the storyline makes some nice callbacks to the original Top Gun, from the bike ride along the plane taking off (without a helmet, of course!), the low fly-over, the buzzing of the aircraft carrier, the volley ball scene, the bar fight, "Balls of Fire" on the piano, Tom Cruise running,  the story of Iceman (paralleling Val Kilmer's) ,etc...  All the cliches and corniness are there, including the politically correct casting (1 black, 1 latino, 1 women in the top 6), but I really enjoyed the movie anyway, even on the smaller TV screen.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I was hoping to watch The Abyss on one of my many streaming services, but couldn't find it, so I had to settle for Leviathan instead.  I'll generously give it a bogey. 

Also watched The Mist again.  That ending is still a kick in the nads.

Corey