Rage - Par

Safe - Par

Seven Psychopaths - Bogey

The Boss - Par

Vigilante Diaries - Bogey

Walk of Shame - Par

History Buffs on Saving Private Ryan

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Star Trek Beyond - par.

I've long given up the movie franchise reprising the thoughtfulness you see in TOS (maybe Brian Fuller's TV show will address that) and judge it on a curve where movie makers have to cater to today's audiences and the current zeitgeist to be economically feasible. I really enjoyed the "movie event" character of the first two, the 3rd installment feels like it fell short on writing and spectacularity. Not spectacular enough for you, you say, well, I'm inured to the special effects wizardry nowadays and I've seen some of the Fast and Furious movies, it gets old after awhile.

It tried to make up for its shortcomings by catering to Trek fans, all the duet character interactions were fun, McCoy 2.0 really gets all the intonations of McCoy 1.0. And it featured, like the previous two, the Enterprise, as a character, with a little extra from an older model. Spaceships is one of the prime reasons I go to watch Star Trek and it wasn't disappointing in that respect although there's nothing new like the Enterprise coming out of warp speed, firing its phasers or coming out of the water spraying the planet's awestruck natives and then flying in atmosphere.

How many ways can you destroy the Enterprise, let me count the ways, the one in this movie was pretty epic. It's funny how movie makers want to crash daddy's car despite the Enterprise being a revered spaceship. I love you so much I want to break you. In the first movie, there's a slight mirror cracking, some panels scraped off, in the second, it takes a whole bunch of phaser blasts (some while in warp speed - oh yeah, breaking out of warp speed was pretty epic) and nearly plunges to the Earth, in the third, well, it's way worse. I think they've run out of ways to destroy the Enterprise.

So like Abrams, Greg Grunberg gets to work in both reboots of Star Wars and Star Trek, what a charmed life.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason Bourne - bogey. All of the originality is gone. Why did they not know to leave well enough alone and stop at 3? I'm gonna pretend this never happened. Rewatched the first one and it is so much better, if you're looking for a Bourne fix, go and watch the first one again. I'd say the same for Independence Day Resurgence, par, it was a total retread, but still kind of fun.

Steve

Yeah I went to Jason Bourne yesterday and I can easily say I've seen that movie 50 times before; absolutely nothing original in it what-so-ever.  It wasn't bad by any means though, I give it a par.

Went to the new Ghostbusters today and it was as bad as I was expecting.  Special effects were excellent but it was just not funny at all.  Bogey.

14 hours ago, Strandly said:

Went to the new Ghostbusters today and it was as bad as I was expecting.  Special effects were excellent but it was just not funny at all.  Bogey.

My ten year old daughter dragged me to that. I fell asleep twice.  

Corey

I change my mind. Bourne, double bogey.

Steve

Dunkirk teaser 

Steve

The Last Witch Hunter - Vin Diesel, Rose Leslie - Par

I found the movie entertaining, not the greatest movie ever but certainly not the worse.  Did i mention that it had Rose Leslie.   :banana:

rose leslie.jpg

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Le Petit Prince is on Netflix now. Watch this with your kids. Birdie. What a shame this won't make the movie theaters. 

Whoops, I stand corrected, coming to a theatre near you. 

Steve

• Administrator

This is the End.

Double bogey.

WTF?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I found Star Trek to be rather disappointing. Bogey for me. Some good acting by Bones but all in all was not that great a movie. If we have time might go check out Suicide Squad, Margot Robbie's outfit, and character alone pretty much guarantees it will be worth the money!

Anyone seen Suicide Squad yet?  My daughter liked it, but pretty much all the reviews are horrible.  Trying to decide if I want to spend the money to go.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

8 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Anyone seen Suicide Squad yet?  My daughter liked it, but pretty much all the reviews are horrible.  Trying to decide if I want to spend the money to go.

I plan on watching it. I put very little stock into reviews, myself. I've heard that the new Ghostbusters movie is being reviewed well even though most people aren't really liking it all that well. I have no intentions of watching that movie, regardless of how well it is reviewed.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

16 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I plan on watching it. I put very little stock into reviews, myself. I've heard that the new Ghostbusters movie is being reviewed well even though most people aren't really liking it all that well. I have no intentions of watching that movie, regardless of how well it is reviewed.

I haven't heard very good things about the Ghostbusters movie, I'm not going to see it either.

-Jerry

Saw Star Trek Beyond last night.  The cast was great and loved the banter between Karl Urban as Bones and Zachary Pinto as Spock.  Plus the homage to Leonard Nimoy and the rest of the original crew was a nice touch. Along with Idris Elba and Simon Pegg (who co-wrote the film) this should've been a homerun.  It was mildy entertaining but at times the story seemed forced.    

The cast banter alone almost gives this a par, but I have to say it's a bogey with the ball hanging on the lip.  I love the Star Trek Universe and will see the next one if it gets made.

-Jerry

Rogue One first trailer. Are you with me? All the way. I'm a rebel. I rebel.

The Brand New Testament. Birdie. Very funny satire on religion. 

Steve

On August 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM, jsgolfer said:

Bogey, maybe double bogey. It was so rushed. It felt like a Slideshow presentation at 3X speed. Or reading through a comic book but only seeing every 3rd panel. Now I'm not a Marvel shill, I think there's a clinical sameness to all its movies but the last couple of DC movies, the writing is relatively worse. 

Steve