IGNORED

Pants/Slacks or Shorts??

PapaBear
Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, slacks and shorts are both technically pants, so you really didn't answer the question. Unless maybe the options were, say, pants or skorts?

Skorts or shants, I am good with either.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like to be comfortable when I golf. If its 70+ and dry I'll wear shorts. If its ~50-70 I'll wear slacks. If its colder than that, its Under Armour Cold gear golf pants. SOMETIMES if its in the 70s and rainy i'll opt for pants.

I have two friends that belong to private clubs (different clubs), when I golf with them its pants...regardless of the weather.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Depends upon the temp.  If its above 60 degrees, its shorts all the way.  Below that, its slacks.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Better wear the pants while we can.

According to Nature Magazine, by 2047, the coldest temperatures on Earth will be higher than the current hottest temperatures

.......gotta love those nature magazines!   And the entire east coast as we know it will no doubt be under water due to glacial melt!  Hahaha...the statue of liberty will be up to armpits in water by that time!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Anyone who does so knowing that it isn't allowed is an idiot.   Believe it or not, there are other places in the country than New England, and we aren't all as stuffy.  We recognize that there are people in the world for whom denim is the casual wear of choice, and that it doesn't say anything at all about their personality or financial position.  I played with a US Congressman on my my home course a few years ago and he was wearing blue jeans, just like I was.  So you can look down your nose at me all you want... doesn't mean a thing.

Believe it or not, there are places in this country other than New England where people still try to avoid looking like slobs. Wearing jeans on a golf course (or any other place where wearing jeans is similarly ridiculous) may not say anything about financial status, but it sure as shit says something about the wearer's personality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Anyone who does so knowing that it isn't allowed is an idiot.

Believe it or not, there are other places in the country than New England, and we aren't all as stuffy.  We recognize that there are people in the world for whom denim is the casual wear of choice, and that it doesn't say anything at all about their personality or financial position.  I played with a US Congressman on my my home course a few years ago and he was wearing blue jeans, just like I was.  So you can look down your nose at me all you want... doesn't mean a thing.

Believe it or not, there are places in this country other than New England where people still try to avoid looking like slobs.

Wearing jeans on a golf course (or any other place where wearing jeans is similarly ridiculous) may not say anything about financial status, but it sure as shit says something about the wearer's personality.

Couple of quick questions:

What does it say about personality?

Why is it ridiculous?

Really.  Now that's is the attitude of a snob.  All it says to me is that the wearer is unpretentious and laid back.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Believe it or not, there are places in this country other than New England where people still try to avoid looking like slobs.

Wearing jeans on a golf course (or any other place where wearing jeans is similarly ridiculous) may not say anything about financial status, but it sure as shit says something about the wearer's personality.

I'm completely against jeans on the course but that makes no sense.

Wearing jeans on a golf course, when permitted, does not mean the person is a slob, it means that the person is dressing in a fashion which makes him or her comfortable. That makes good sense, dressing comfortably for an athletic activity. Speaking of saying something about an individual's personality, remember the old Billy Crystal SNL skit with Fernando: "It's better to loooooook good than to feel good"? The Fernando character was intended to be a ridiculous caricature - a dolt and an ass. Your comments make it clear that the only reason you wear pants instead of shorts or jeans is because you are highly concerned with appearances and what people will think about how you dress (i.e. you do not have a legitimate health-related reason to wear pants). When you play dress-up out on the course, does that make you feel especially proud of yourself and make you feel like you're someone more important than you really are. Are you fantasizing that you're Phancy Pants Phil Mickelson? My daughter loved to play dress-up, with her Disney Cinderella dress and she would pretend to be a princess. But she outgrew that about the time she outgrew the dress, at some point in first grade. Do your golf dress-up outfits include plus-fours so you can pretend to be Old Tom or Payne? Do you try several outfits on and spend half an hour in front of a mirror before you select one, telling yourself "I'm a Very Special Boy?" If you had just said "I prefer pants" then nobody would have given this a second thought. But when you clearly identified yourself as an irrational snob for whom appearances matter above all other things, you opened yourself up to criticism. ==================== If it's too cold to wear shorts, I usually wear a pair of relaxed-fitting khakis because they are less restrictive than jeans, particular the pockets - I generally carry 2-3 golf balls, along with tees and a ball mark repair tool in my pockets. If I'm playing a municipal course, where most people wear jeans in cooler weather, and it's cold enough to wear a jacket with pockets where I can stash my usual golf stuff, I may wear jeans, which is what I typically wear on a colder weekend day running errands or hanging out around the house.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

1st - I respect the course dress code, now matter how stodgy.  My travel bag has pants, and non-cargo shorts, just in case.

But if I have the choice. -  Cargo Shorts, every time.  I like the pockets, and comfy.

if it gets too cold for comfort, I just put my rain pants over the shorts - super comfy with a breathable liner - I took my time and spent a bit extra for my rain pants and rain top - completely worth the effort to make sure that option was done right the first time.

I also thought Golf shirts looked silly and shiny.  But then I started wearing them and was thrilled at how comfortable they are.  I am now accustomed to wearing them while playing and comfort matters for play.   Heck, I wear some of the less shiny ones at work now.  So, it's possible I'll try on golf pants someday and change my tune if they are as breathable, etc...  someday.  I don't really need  to buy pants right now, so we'll put that experiment off for a while.

Bill - 

Couple of quick questions:

What does it say about personality?

Why is it ridiculous?

I think it's a pretty good reflection on why Wise Guy posted as he did.  Enough interaction with judgmental busy bodies (wearing spats, snap hats, and Rolex's) :-P and I'd be cynical too.

Bill - 

I personally dress out of respect for whatever venue i"m attending. If we go to a restaurant in the evening, I will dress in slacks and a collared shirt. A wedding would be at least a sports-coat.

A funeral would be a tie and coat out of respect for the deceased and family.

Golf has always meant respect for the game. Although no one wears a tie anymore, I believe rules at clubs outlining collared shirts, slacks and shorts, no denim, no flipflops, reflects that respect.

I'm not a snob, as I will wear denim around the house, or when shopping etc., but if a course allows any type of dress with no bounds, it's a course that is most likely a barn yard and begging to stay afloat. I won't play it.

Just my opinion.

I've been on minimal dress code golf courses - I've found some to be trashy, some to be real gems, some to be averagee.  I've had about the same experience on dress code courses too.  There is a slight correlation, but the outliers are numerous enough that's it's dumb to make the call based on dress code.  How about that?  Clearly your experience differs,

It's a bit silly to make indirect judgements based on poorly correlated biases that use cosmetic criteria to try and assess something that can be determined directly

Play the course and talk to the people there seems to work better for me than just driving by and looking at a random player's shirt choice.

It's akin to pre-judging that random golfer as a bad player because he has a worn out set of clubs.  I think Lee Travino made a lot of cash on those people that made snap judgements on appearances too.

People's prejudices drive a lot of bad decisions, I like to imagine that we try grow out of them, instead of growing into them.

However, I would like to dress up like Payne Stewart, or even the old time golfers someday at a fancy private course sometime just to see the commentary....Plus the hats are neat.

Bill - 

Golf has always meant respect for the game. Although no one wears a tie anymore, I believe rules at clubs outlining collared shirts, slacks and shorts, no denim, no flipflops, reflects that respect.

I'm not a snob, as I will wear denim around the house, or when shopping etc., but if a course allows any type of dress with no bounds, it's a course that is most likely a barn yard and begging to stay afloat. I won't play it.

I've never worn jeans or a non-collared shirt on a course because typically they don't allow it - but can't imagine caring if anyone else does.  Further, I find it maybe a little silly - the whole dress code for a course thing.  Golf is sort of an athletic pursuit.  And slacks and a polo aren't really athletic wear anyone would think of to do other athletic pursuits.

And why does golf deserve such respect over other sports?  You could play in your church's softball league in slacks and a polo - but apparently shorts and a t-shirt suffice for baseball and God.  Golf is just a game.  A really fun one, but just a game.  I never got how it deserves some reverence over the other sports.  Golf doesn't mean "respect for the game".  It means get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes.

But since you respect it so much - I wonder why you don't wear a tie?  Or a jacket? And why you would lower yourself to play at a place where others wear shorts or go without ties? I'm not sure you are respecting the game enough.  And I'm sure you've never ridden in a cart or taken a mulligan since you are such a purist of the game.

Sounds like pomp and circumstance to me.  So does "barn yard begging to stay afloat."  Sometimes people live in the country and don't have a bunch of money and might still want to play golf.  This might be a good course for them.  And for the course.  Maybe a guy loves golf and is doing the best he can to create a course and own a business.  You don't have to play it, but I'm not sure you need to insult it.

"I'm not a snob." my ass

Obviously there are social norms for different situations and they can be somewhat arbitrary.  If I went to a nice Italian place for dinner and saw a guy wearing gym shorts and a wife beater - I'd notice it and probably have a chuckle at his expense even though his clothes functionally got him to the restaurant and back.  I'm sure there is a correlation b/t nice courses, upscale clientele, players' care of the course, etc - and dress codes.  And I'd imagine some places do that on purpose.  And I support their right to do so.  But I have always found it odd how people hang their had on reverence of the game.

• Upvote 1

I personally dress out of respect for whatever venue i"m attending. If we go to a restaurant in the evening, I will dress in slacks and a collared shirt. A wedding would be at least a sports-coat.

A funeral would be a tie and coat out of respect for the deceased and family.

Just my opinion.

Well, from this one can tell that your experience is a bit limited.  Here is my "barnyard":

and

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

That post reminded me of Kid Rock....

&

JD

:no:

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!