IGNORED

Good General Numbers for Hips/Torso at A7

iacas
Note: This thread is 3804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Hips: 40° open

Torso: 25° open

Note that the lead shoulder being down and in front can make the shoulders look more closed (and be more closed) than the torso; i.e. shoulder measurements are often about 10-15° or so.

That is all. :)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Erik, can we get a TL:DR for this one, please?

Sure, here: open up while getting your arms down in sequence.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What in the world is a7 mean?

http://thesandtrap.com/a/big-list-of-golf-terminology A1: Address A2: Club shaft parallel to the ground on the takeaway A3: Lead arm parallel to the ground on the takeaway A4: Top of backswing A5: Lead arm parallel to the ground on the downswing A6: Club shaft parallel to ground on the downswing A7: Impact A8: Club shaft parallel to ground on follow-through. A9: Right arm parallel to ground on follow-through. A10: Finish

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I had my hips 99* open and my coach said that was good. What am I missing

If you really were 99° open, your hips would be pointing left of your target at impact.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

[quote name="nick1998bunker" url="/t/70580/good-general-numbers-for-hips-torso-at-a7#post_908612"]I had my hips 99* open and my coach said that was good. What am I missing[/quote] How do U do that? Must be very very flexible.. Either u lateral shift, or pivot.. I think for us older guys, lateral shift with slight turn is efficient

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

I see a lot of this at pre impact... But than I see the other too ( belt buckle facing target.. No turn until later) .. Must come down to swing style.. Maybe huge pivot is needed for some guys who don't want to be stuck.. Others ( one planers) require less of a turn and more bump.. Not sure, maybe I'm dead wrong.. Don't bear me up for asking

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

[quote name="Mr. Desmond" url="/t/70580/good-general-numbers-for-hips-torso-at-a7#post_908639"]If you study here, you should lack confusion... [/quote] I'm trying, I was just happy to be on a open forum.. U live and learn

I have no hip turn.. I see this a lot too.. My belt buckle faces the target.. So I guess what is wrong what is right? This might help a lot of us.. Is it a conscious move? Or one that is a reaction to an action? Or do u need to practice the pivot like a mad man in order to make it automatic?[ any qualified advice would be appreciated

No its just syncing up the correct turn rates. If you constantly have trouble with your hips getting way ahead, try to speed up the rate, or start your arms down sooner in the downswing. If your arms have dropped to quick, then you need to work on speeding up your hips, maybe feel that delay at the top of the swing, the slight pause, is my best guess on how to combat that. For me, I don't pause, when i am finishing my shoulder turn i am trying to drop my arms. I got a pretty aggressive and quick hip turn, so I need to speed up and start my arms earlier.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Still confusing.. I guess what is a proper body pivot look like? How much do you turn? ( how far left) .. I see guys on tour that goat hump ( Phil mickelson) and some don't... What is acceptable? What isn't? This is one part of the swing that is so vague.. Again I have read over a million different answers on this, and in one on one lessons. I was told to just swing left, or feel right shoulder is even with the ball at impact.. Personally, the pivot will fix 90% of our swing issues..IMO.

This qualifies as a " chicken or the egg" quote that they discussed in docf all the time

[video]http://youtu.be/lrQpbUpCHsY[/video] Try the above

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

[U][/U][quote name="Mr. Desmond" url="/t/70580/good-general-numbers-for-hips-torso-at-a7#post_908705"][URL]http://youtu.be/lrQpbUpCHsY[/URL] Try the above[/quote].. Never has these questions, until I started filming my swing.. Used to just judge how I was doing by ball flight.. Camera is the devil. :) . Will drive u to the nut house

Note: This thread is 3804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!