Jump to content
Lihu

My Swing (Lihu)

795 posts / 54368 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

That range is only about 250 yards maximum distance. This is a 235-yard shot:

Untitled.jpg

I'm not sure I'd trust any signs at that range.

Check that bin distance outside the range...keep that line going another few ticks 266 is the marker from the mats where you drew it

But I’m usually on the right side mats...

11 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Don't think I've ever seen a driving range with a dogleg right...

It’s a double range. The Elite membership lets you hit off grass every day not just Wednesday’s...

Hitting the other way of course, with the wind the poor guys like me hit into the wind a bit... 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Check that bin distance outside the range...keep that line going another few ticks 266 is the marker from the mats where you drew it

Nope.

Untitled.jpg

That's 266 and it's all the way to the fence.

@Lihu, when I helped you before a commercial, you averaged 175 yards with your driver. After your "lesson" (mostly setup stuff, one swing thought to help your path), you got to about 235.

I think you're conning yourself here.

Bear in mind I don't really care. I can only know what I measured on Google Earth. I can only wonder what "fairway" you're talking about when there's no "fairways" to hit across for your long-driving friend. Whatever. I don't really care.

But… I do believe it can be helpful to people to maybe consider whether they're tricking themselves.

Also, I've found the Mevo to be VERY accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nope.

Untitled.jpg

That's 266 and it's all the way to the fence.

@Lihu, when I helped you before a commercial, you averaged 175 yards with your driver. After your "lesson" (mostly setup stuff, one swing thought to help your path), you got to about 235.

I think you're conning yourself here.

Bear in mind I don't really care. I can only know what I measured on Google Earth. I can only wonder what "fairway" you're talking about when there's no "fairways" to hit across for your long-driving friend. Whatever. I don't really care.

But… I do believe it can be helpful to people to maybe consider whether they're tricking themselves.

Also, I've found the Mevo to be VERY accurate.

Nope, 175 wasn’t me. Try 218 to 238 carry on your XL.

20 yards 2 strikes only... you’re confusing me with another Asian dude 😂😂😂

8i averages 142 carry with a few 165 shots and duffs to 120 which you averaged in...

And my driver had an X200 steel shaft in it. You’re conning everyone else 😂😂😂

Wrong Asian dude, did Kim really get out to 235? Nice!

Edited by Lihu
Oops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Nope, 175 wasn’t me. Try 218 to 238 carry on your XL.

100% wrong. I looked at the FlightScope data not that long ago.

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

8i averages 142 carry with a few 165 shots and duffs to 120 which you averaged in...

I didn't measure you hitting an 8I. Only the driver. You gained almost 60 yards on average (seven or eight tee shots averaged 175, then five at the end averaged 234).

You didn't hit an 8I that I measured on the FlightScope.

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

And my driver had an X200 steel shaft in it. You’re conning everyone else 😂😂😂

WTF are you even talking about?

You're conning yourself, and I'm done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Btw, you could draw that line starting at the mats where everyone hits every day except on Wednesday... then you’d be about right.

Just now, iacas said:

100% wrong. I looked at the FlightScope data not that long ago.

I didn't measure you hitting an 8I. Only the driver. You gained almost 60 yards on average (seven or eight tee shots averaged 175, then five at the end averaged 234).

You didn't hit an 8I that I measured on the FlightScope.

I'm done. You're just lying now.

Nope, that was R Kim, not me. He owns the Ferrari, I own a Subaru :-D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

With the Mevo sitting 12 feet behind the tee. Here are my readings.

The highlighted shot hit the bin 266 yards away about 8 seconds after my shot... “ponnnng” 😂

D5FC8909-D815-4079-9679-161A1DC69B21.thumb.png.f778108a0ae86e70e500286c465e5330.png

 

One of the other players (A low single digit player) saw my first 3 readings and was like “How can I hit farther than you?” He got on my Mevo and his best swings were 80mph with a carry up to 190. We could see his balls landing clearly past the 212 yard hill marked at 212 and ranged within a yard to the flag. I told them the Mevo is great for tracking improvement and such but not very accurate at all.

My Canadian ex-pro long drive friend was swearing he was hitting the balls perfectly and never saw any drive above 306 yards even though his shots were landing 360 yards into one or two the fairways behind the fence over water. The way we could tell was people dispersing at their second shots.

Yeah, going to go with my Mevo not being accurate in absolute terms... 😁

Still like using it though. Every now and then some cocky hitter goes to my range I’ll ask him if he wants to get “Mevoed” only to look disappointed he only hits 10-20% shorter than he thought! And swears he has an over 100mph swing speed only to see 90mph 😂😂😂

These were with my shiny new M6... Loving it!

Very light prevailing breeze into our faces... 68F 700 feet

I've not used a Mevo, but from what I can tell, it's pretty accurate.  If you're getting high 130's ball speed, it sounds about right.  You're not going to be carrying the ball much past 230 max without some high launch knuckle balls. 

That said, if you're swinging around 100 mph, you should be getting at least 145 mph ball speed.  I wouldn't want to get much less than 1.45 smash factor; otherwise, that's pretty poor striking to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, ncates00 said:

I've not used a Mevo, but from what I can tell, it's pretty accurate.  If you're getting high 130's ball speed, it sounds about right.  You're not going to be carrying the ball much past 230 max without some high launch knuckle balls. 

That said, if you're swinging around 100 mph, you should be getting at least 145 mph ball speed.  I wouldn't want to get much less than 1.45 smash factor; otherwise, that's pretty poor striking to be honest.

Just confirmed 104 CHS the cold range balls are 5% less bouncy in summer... and much worse in winter. Went to a Foresight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Lihu said:

Just confirmed 104 CHS the cold range balls are 5% less bouncy in summer... and much worse in winter. Went to a Foresight.

Unless you had your club dotted for the gc2+hmt or gcquad, Foresight doesn't measure club head speed directly (it extrapolates from the ball data), but it does directly measure ball speed, launch angle, start line, sidespin, and backspin.  Even with a dotted up club plus gc2/htm or gcquad, Foresight reads club head speed slightly higher than Trackman; I think I read somewhere that the respective units read the head at different points in the swing or something.

However, assuming 104 is correct, you should hit a few "gamer" balls and see what happens.  Range balls will not see as much ball speed as your gamer ball; but, we won't be talking like 10 or 15 mph extra ball speed here, unless the ball has gone completely to crap.  Therefore, what I said about ball speed still remains--you need to be in the mid 140s at the minimum at that club head speed; if not, you need to resolve your striking.  That's the beauty of launch monitors--you can write down your "ranges" for ball speed and check them each time you practice to ensure that you're striking it well.  Just be sure not to count those dread hooks and pull hooks; it is very easy to see your ball speed numbers jump up and get too excited haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/24/2020 at 4:49 AM, ncates00 said:

Unless you had your club dotted for the gc2+hmt or gcquad, Foresight doesn't measure club head speed directly (it extrapolates from the ball data), but it does directly measure ball speed, launch angle, start line, sidespin, and backspin.  Even with a dotted up club plus gc2/htm or gcquad, Foresight reads club head speed slightly higher than Trackman; I think I read somewhere that the respective units read the head at different points in the swing or something.

However, assuming 104 is correct, you should hit a few "gamer" balls and see what happens.  Range balls will not see as much ball speed as your gamer ball; but, we won't be talking like 10 or 15 mph extra ball speed here, unless the ball has gone completely to crap.  Therefore, what I said about ball speed still remains--you need to be in the mid 140s at the minimum at that club head speed; if not, you need to resolve your striking.  That's the beauty of launch monitors--you can write down your "ranges" for ball speed and check them each time you practice to ensure that you're striking it well.  Just be sure not to count those dread hooks and pull hooks; it is very easy to see your ball speed numbers jump up and get too excited haha.

Yup, full setup. Tested on a Quad, same results. The problem could have been my running out of dots and not putting them on the cold range balls. SF seemed to go up a bit after using them but still not over 1.45. But I’m sure someone will say it makes no difference. No big deal though.

I'm kind of past being worried about my SS these days. I’m just enjoying the game regardless of my either “perceived to be self imagined” swing speed or what others “theorize my swing speed to be” 😂😂😂

Thanks for posting though.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yup, full setup. Tested on a Quad, same results. The problem could have been my running out of dots and not putting them on the cold range balls. SF seemed to go up a bit after using them but still not over 1.45. But I’m sure someone will say it makes no difference. No big deal though.

I'm kind of past being worried about my SS these days. I’m just enjoying the game regardless of my either “perceived to be self imagined” swing speed or what others “theorize my swing speed to be” 😂😂😂

Thanks for posting though.

Cheers!

Dots don’t go on the ball for quad. They go on the club head. 

Worry about ball speed. Who cares what your SS is? It is what it is and you can work to improve it. Work on increasing your ball speed to get everything out of what you have. Your SS is either 1) not as high as you think or 2) you’re striking it so bad that it doesn’t matter. Either way, focus on ball speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Dots don’t go on the ball for quad. They go on the club head. 

Worry about ball speed. Who cares what your SS is? It is what it is and you can work to improve it. Work on increasing your ball speed to get everything out of what you have. Your SS is either 1) not as high as you think or 2) you’re striking it so bad that it doesn’t matter. Either way, focus on ball speed. 

Dots on my Mevo.. of course...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Lihu said:

Dots on my Mevo.. of course...

What I said remains.  You either 1) think you swing faster than you really do or 2) strike the golf ball really bad.  Judging by the purported 101-104 ball speed but yet only 130s ball speed, I'm going with #2.  My club head speed is in the low 100s, yet I still get 150s ball speed on good strikes.  My all time max is 162; I'm not a fast player by any means. 

Blaming the cold weather isn't doing you any favors.  If you'll recall, I suggested that you use some gamer balls, instead of range balls, indoors on a Foresight.  Haven't heard whether you have tried that.  But again, as I have stated a few times, quit worrying about club head speed--focus on improving your ball speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/9/2020 at 2:49 AM, Lihu said:

Yup, full setup. Tested on a Quad, same results. The problem could have been my running out of dots and not putting them on the cold range balls. SF seemed to go up a bit after using them but still not over 1.45. But I’m sure someone will say it makes no difference. No big deal though.

😂😂😂

Foresight measures swing speed higher than trackman and flightscope. A 1.45 smash factor on the GC4 equals to about 1.51-1.52 smash factor on Trackman. Most likely your swing speed is a lot lower than you think it is. You can see my trackman stats in the photo below.

IMG-20200212-WA0000.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My carry distances are well into the 250-255 range on Foresight. It’s possible my SS is only 95 or something like that but it said 104...I doubt my SF is that good either.

1 hour ago, Konsta said:

Foresight measures swing speed higher than trackman and flightscope. A 1.45 smash factor on the GC4 equals to about 1.51-1.52 smash factor on Trackman. Most likely your swing speed is a lot lower than you think it is. You can see my trackman stats in the photo below.

IMG-20200212-WA0000.jpg

 

I just need to make sure I use a taller tee, as @Shindig and I found out this last weekend 😂

I was hitting duck hooks and spinny slices with my driver until I teed up higher. Hit the last drive 260 into a headwind, and two holes earlier over 280 which stayed on the fairway thanks to a side wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Lihu said:

I just need to make sure I use a taller tee, as @Shindig and I found out this last weekend 😂

I was hitting duck hooks and spinny slices with my driver until I teed up higher. Hit the last drive 260 into a headwind, and two holes earlier over 280 which stayed on the fairway thanks to a side wind.

Well, I wasn't going to tell you tee height when I wasn't hitting it well.  But those last two drives... you know the LSW chapter about driving, and that includes a higher tee height than you used the first 16 holes. 

Worth noting that I'm not entirely sure I know how to hit a tee shot on a windy day other than "hit it and allow that the wind will stop it at some point."  But that's not the topic for your swing thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Thanks for the input @boogielicious.   I've seen, but not in detail, the COVID drills,  I'll take a closer look at them.  You also mentioned the "Towel Drill", is this what you are referring to? It was posted by @mvmac a few years back on TST.
    • No one started out being a "scratch" golfer...……  Be the kind of person you would want to play along with...... I prefer to play with people that are better than me - I find that tends to make me play better.
    • I’d love to see a picture of the MacGregor chipper, if you get a chance. The argument against chippers seems to have a couple of main themes. First, “It’s a single purpose club that takes up one of the 14 slots allowed by the Rules.” True, but we carry two other single purpose clubs and I don’t see a movement to start putting with a driver, even thought the lofts are similar. The other, “Real golfers don’t carry chippers!”, seems to imply some kind of group consensus of what a club set is supposed to consist of; but I gave up trying to run with the pack in my 50’s. 😊
    • No guesses as to whether it'll survive, but I would think whether it does or not, streaming is going to be more prevalent. Despite the problems with Peacock and the USO, maybe they're going to broadcast some tournaments via Peacock? I don't see the COVID situation changing drastically anytime soon and with the uptick in people golfing, you'd figure there would be a chance to capitalize on that but that's not happening AFAIK.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...