IGNORED

I am so frustrated and want to quit golf

golftlist
Note: This thread is 2375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Kevinwelland said:

I finally made up my mind and stopped for good last weekend. I have been playing for a year. I took lessons,practiced,you name it. But my scores were nothing short of horrendous. My worse was 208 on a par 72 (Yes I can hear you all laughing) worst score on a par 4 was 23...Mark Twain was right when he said golf is a good walk spoiled. Anyway I'm out for good. It just isn't worth the pain....

I'm not laughing, I'm in awe! 208 could be a world record?

Seriously, just take a break from it. You'll come back wanting to do it at some point.

5 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

KW,

I made the same decision last year..no regrets whatsoever...my attitude towards all things is far better..I took lessons also for 18 months, and practiced most days...in the end, I just accepted that some people like myself, have no ability to swing a club..and never will...as well, some of us dont have the temperment for playing lousy golf and enjoying it...there are always plenty of other things to take up ones time..

This is what I thought as well, but I play okay now and enjoy the game.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I'm not laughing, I'm in awe! 208 could be a world record?

haha.. I think that first summer I did a few 120's. 208 is a lot. One (1) piece of advice I never followed, which I should have followed, is not to keep score in the beginning. If you reach 10 strokes just pick up and move to the next hole. 

This game is not for everyone. Just like playing music, or owning firearms.. or riding a motorcycle. I think some personalities do much better with golf than others. My father and my wife for example, cannot play golf. They are too temperamental, too impatient.. and they will be the first ones to say it.

3 hours ago, Kevinwelland said:

I finally made up my mind and stopped for good last weekend. I have been playing for a year. I took lessons,practiced,you name it. But my scores were nothing short of horrendous. My worse was 208 on a par 72 (Yes I can hear you all laughing) worst score on a par 4 was 23...Mark Twain was right when he said golf is a good walk spoiled. Anyway I'm out for good. It just isn't worth the pain....

You must be exhausted from keeping score!!

1 hour ago, Hiway1tele said:

KW,

I made the same decision last year..no regrets whatsoever...my attitude towards all things is far better..I took lessons also for 18 months, and practiced most days...in the end, I just accepted that some people like myself, have no ability to swing a club..and never will...as well, some of us dont have the temperment for playing lousy golf and enjoying it...there are always plenty of other things to take up ones time..

By and large playing golf involves hitting the ball. You can still do that at the range. Highly recommended for folks who are starting out or shooting upwards of 150. All the fun and none of the consequence..

Vishal S.

Then I can hit a basket full of Crap shots...which I did many times..and then walk away just as frustrated if not more so..the required proper Striking of the ball isnt obviously in my swing technique...

2 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

Then I can hit a basket full of Crap shots...which I did many times..and then walk away just as frustrated if not more so..the required proper Striking of the ball isnt obviously in my swing technique...

This sounds like a challenge for @iacas, please post a video.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

This sounds like a challenge for @iacas, please post a video.

I seriously doubt it...2 pro's, and 18 months with a Lead Golf Instructor at GolfTec failed to do anything for me...you cant teach ability..its that simple..there is a reason some of us are +30 index's and never get better..

1 minute ago, Hiway1tele said:

I seriously doubt it...2 pro's, and 18 months with a Lead Golf Instructor at GolfTec failed to do anything for me...you cant teach ability..its that simple..there is a reason some of us are +30 index's and never get better..

Yeah, that's pretty good already.

Did you play any "other" sports? I'm guessing you play Guitar?

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, that's pretty good already.

Did you play any "other" sports? I'm guessing you play Guitar?

I played Basketball reasonably good as a younger adult...I play a lil at Guitar as a hobby, something to do with the few hrs each week I used to spend trying to play Golf...:)..

18 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

What do you have to lose? Its free and takes very little time/effort to post a video of your swing. 

What were the main pieces of your swing that you were working on your your GolfTec instructor?

Do you know how many putts you average per round, your GIR %, etc.?

In your opinion what area do you struggle with the most? Is it getting the ball in play off the tee, approach shots towards the green, putting?

Why not just pick one thing at a time to work on? 

Also, have you considered playing from a shorter set of tees to help build confidence while you are working on different aspects of your game?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

3 minutes ago, klineka said:

What do you have to lose? Its free and takes very little time/effort to post a video of your swing. 

What were the main pieces of your swing that you were working on your your GolfTec instructor?

Do you know how many putts you average per round, your GIR %, etc.?

In your opinion what area do you struggle with the most? Is it getting the ball in play off the tee, approach shots towards the green, putting?

Why not just pick one thing at a time to work on? 

Also, have you considered playing from a shorter set of tees to help build confidence while you are working on different aspects of your game?

My Short game was good...The longer clubs swing was the issue...and I did play a shorter course and shorter tees...but I have been out of it for over a year, so its not an issue...

But thanks for the interest..

@Kevinwelland and @Hiway1tele - nothing wrong from walking away from this game. It's ridiculously difficult. I've been at it for several years now and have recently come to the conclusion that any real improvement is outside my ability and means. Once that mindset kicks in, the game becomes more enjoyable and less frustrating (for me). Today, it took about 4 or 5 holes  to get past the unrealistic expectations I often experience. The bad shots became just part of the round I endure while waiting to hit the few good ones. It ceased becoming a life or death situation and I was glad I played.

In a way, I envy your ability to walk away. I think about how much of the last 6 years of my life I've wasted working towards goals. All that time, I could have just enjoyed the game for what it is, or found a better hobby. Of course, I wouldn't have known my limits had I not put 100% in as I did.

In the end, it's about whether or not we can enjoy "bad" golf. There are worse players than us out there having fun - just as there have been much, much better players who've quit.

Jon

4 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

@Kevinwelland and @Hiway1tele - nothing wrong from walking away from this game. It's ridiculously difficult. I've been at it for several years now and have recently come to the conclusion that any real improvement is outside my ability and means. Once that mindset kicks in, the game becomes more enjoyable and less frustrating (for me). Today, it took about 4 or 5 holes  to get past the unrealistic expectations I often experience. The bad shots became just part of the round I endure while waiting to hit the few good ones. It ceased becoming a life or death situation and I was glad I played.

In a way, I envy your ability to walk away. I think about how much of the last 6 years of my life I've wasted working towards goals. All that time, I could have just enjoyed the game for what it is, or found a better hobby. Of course, I wouldn't have known my limits had I not put 100% in as I did.

In the end, it's about whether or not we can enjoy "bad" golf. There are worse players than us out there having fun - just as there have been much, much better players who've quit.

Your totally Correct, Jon..It all comes down to a person having the Temperment to enjoy playing lousy golf..after spending the money on nearly 2years of lessons off and on, and giving the game more hours than I can count, and getting nowhere, I walked away from it...My Hats off to you for being able to go out and just play, and take it all in stride...unfortunately for me, Frustration and temper wins that battle...

5 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

My Hats off to you for being able to go out and just play, and take it all in stride..

Don't get me wrong, I've had to replace a few clubs shafts and putters in the last couple of years.... it gets expensive. Then, of course, there's the self-deprecation... yeah, that's not neurotic or anything. There's a reason I've gone back to playing solo rounds.

The whole "taking it in stride" is a serious work in progress.

Jon

Golf is supposed to be fun. Walk in with no goals and expectations and it will be much more enjoyable. Playing a round hole by hole is a work in progress. Every shot is a work in progress.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Don't get me wrong, I've had to replace a few clubs shafts and putters in the last couple of years.... it gets expensive. Then, of course, there's the self-deprecation... yeah, that's not neurotic or anything. There's a reason I've gone back to playing solo rounds.

The whole "taking it in stride" is a serious work in progress.

Jon,

Been there , done that also..have broken my share of clubs against inanimate objects..thats another reason I gave it up...

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Golf is supposed to be fun. Walk in with no goals and expectations and it will be much more enjoyable. Playing a round hole by hole is a work in progress. Every shot is a work in progress.

Lihu,

Not all of us find it fun...if I did, I'd still be playing...I am happy for those of you that play well enough to enjoy it..

34 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

Jon,

Been there , done that also..have broken my share of clubs against inanimate objects..thats another reason I gave it up...

Lihu,

Not all of us find it fun...if I did, I'd still be playing...I am happy for those of you that play well enough to enjoy it..

I have a distant cousin who tried it and even forced me to go to the driving range a few times long before I was into playing. I found it stupid and not worth my time, but did it just to keep him company. He never got the hang of it, quit then 6 years later my kids got into it and my archery range virtually shut down so I started playing golf with them.

My cousin hates it just like you, and I started out thinking this is the dumbest activity ever made but now enjoy it.

You never know what’s in your future, just take a break from it. We’ll be here, or, at least some of us. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!