IGNORED

The 14 club rule

purple drank
Note:Β This thread is 3655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have a bag that accomodates 15 clubs and am occasionally tempted, but when it comes down to it, I always get a major guilt trip & don't do it.Β Β Β Β Β  Just think how different the game would be if we could carry just one more club (I'd love to have a chipper, driving iron, left handed 7 iron to get out from near trees, etc - just can't afford the room for one)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Drop the 50 or 3H, depending on the course and conditions. You could also drop an iron depending on the course 9i or PW for example.

For me, I would go over the course map or card beforehand and map out your round.

I'd be inclined to move the 3 wood and 3H out of the bag and go to a 4 wood.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Now a 232 degree hybrid would be a very interesting club !!!:~(. Can't quite picture it :-)

22Β° typo.... #fail

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5Β° Stiff :dunlop: 15Β° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22Β° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5Β° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried the four-wedge system, but for the course-conditions here a XLob(64) is just too-shallow.

My typical league-play set-up is Putter plus Driver, 3w, 5w, 4h, 5i - 9i, PW(46), GW(50), SW(56) and LW(60).Β  The modern 3-iron fairly useless and has about as much loft as my 2-iron used to have, or even an oldΒ 1-iron blade.Β  If I really want to add another trouble-wood or the XLob, I'll pull the 6-iron.

What I do find is I have two sets of wedges; one with little-bounce for tight, sparseΒ grass and hard South Jersey sand.Β  The other set has "modern" bounces for lush condition and resort-play when traveling.Β  Sometimes I don't even bother carrying the SW(56) since it still has WAAAAY too-much bounce for the unraked, heavy wet-sand bunkers at our local course.

My casual round playing partners could care less what I carry in my bag.Β  Most of them play in the same tournaments I do.Β  So, they know if I carry an extra club (15th) and become used to having it I will be at a distinct disadvantage come tournament time.

When I was experimenting with different hybrids, I had more than 14 club in my bag.Β  Same goes for putters.Β  But, when it came time for another tournament, I had already decided what 14 clubs would remain in the bag.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids:Β TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thruΒ LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball:Β TM Tour Preferred XΒ or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.comΒ Β A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

i am surprised a 7.4 handicap has to ask.

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

i am surprised a 7.4 handicap has to ask.

I would be more surprised thatΒ anyone who carries more than 14 clubs on a regular basis would think that his handicap has any meaning. ;-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I have 16 in my bag right now - :-O

but it's winter, and I'm using them for indoor range practice...... ;-)

Added the 4i to work on my swing for long irons - it helps me dial in my contact better.Β  When I remove it again in the spring, I'm hoping it'll improve my consistency with my 5 and 6i.Β  Seems to be working - even now my 5i is a lot more consistent - but that could just be all the practice too.

Added the 5w in for practice also - I'm thinking it'll also come back out.Β  The 2h still seems to be the better choice of the two.Β  (this is the really hard choice because I just "like" hitting both those clubs)

14 during play.Β  just because.Β  Frankly, I should play a lot more with half that just to train in some flexibility and shot control.

for the OP - adding 60 is a big decision for someone that states they use "all they clubs every round" (paraphrased, but that's unusual) - surely there is a tradeoff decision where you think the 60 will give some advantage that is "worth" deleting another club.Β  If not, then that 60 isn't worth it.Β  If I deleted my 60, I'm not sure what I'd add back in......so, for me, the 60 is worth it...Β  But, the 60 is the least used club in my bag.Β  So that indicates to me that I have 14 that I like just fine.

If I was really fancy, I'd have alternate wedges for different course conditions, and maybe a couple of intermediate woods for courses of various lengths.Β  But I can afford that and it's just a lot of extra decisions for a hack like me.

Unless your friends are rules nazis, I doubt they care one way or the other and unless it's a tournament, or you guys use your handicaps for ranking or betting, etc or you are betting,.... if not, it's not their business anyway - the person that should care is you....

Bill -Β 

• 2 weeks later...

I use social rounds for practice so I think using/taking more than the allowable clubs is ok, but not in competition. I often try different tactic for attacking a hole and require extra clubs to decide if it is worthwhile in competitions

:powerblt:Β Air force one complete set

:powerblt:Β TPS Putter

:oakley:Β Shirts

:footjoy:Β shoes

I use social rounds for practice so I think using/taking more than the allowable clubs is ok, but not in competition. I often try different tactic for attacking a hole and require extra clubs to decide if it is worthwhile in competitions

You don't play against any buddies in your "social" rounds?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquor box

You don't play against any buddies in your "social" rounds?

I think I may have played a true "practice" round about 3 times in my life. Β Social rounds are still competitions in my groups.

Rick

I think I may have played a true "practice" round about 3 times in my life. Β Social rounds are still competitions in my groups.

That's 3 more than I have!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Why do you carry a 4H and a 4 iron?

Tools in the OgioΒ bag.
Driver Β  Β  Β Callaway
Β Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5*Β Extra Stiff

3 wood Β Β Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid Β  Β Β Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons Β  Β  Β  Ping Β I20 5-PW

Wedges Β PingΒ Tour GorgeΒ 52Β & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter Β  Β  Scotty CameronΒ Monterey

Balls Β  Β  Β Bridgestone B-330

Shoes Β  Β Β  Β  Β  Skycaddie SGX

Why do you carry a 4H and a 4 iron?

What makes you think that they are the same? Β My 5H replaces my 4 iron, and my 4H replaces my 3 iron. Β The longest iron I carry is a 5.

Rick

• 3 months later...

I only have 13 clubs in my bag right now.

D, 3H 4-AW, 55, 60 & Putter. I can fill all, if not most, yardages except length beyond my hybrid. The way I look at it is, as a 17 handicapper, I have no business going for the green in two so a 3W isn't a huge deal. The only real reason I want a 3W is so I can use it off the tee rather than my 3H. Typically, holes less than 380 I use my 3H, but would rather it be my 3W.

I was considering getting some Cleveland TT/MT combos and leaving out the 3W to have a D, 3H, 4-AW 52, 56, 60 & Putter. That would make from my 9i to 60, 4 degrees difference over my current 5 degree difference. Not sure if I want to do that yet. I'm going to buy a 3W in May and test it out and if I don't like it, switch it out.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15Β° 3W

18Β° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50Β°,Β 54Β° & 58Β° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

I only have 13 clubs in my bag right now.

D, 3H 4-AW, 55, 60 & Putter. I can fill all, if not most, yardages except length beyond my hybrid. The way I look at it is, as a 17 handicapper, I have no business going for the green in two so a 3W isn't a huge deal. The only real reason I want a 3W is so I can use it off the tee rather than my 3H. Typically, holes less than 380 I use my 3H, but would rather it be my 3W.

I was considering getting some Cleveland TT/MT combos and leaving out the 3W to have a D, 3H, 4-AW 52, 56, 60 & Putter. That would make from my 9i to 60, 4 degrees difference over my current 5 degree difference. Not sure if I want to do that yet. I'm going to buy a 3W in May and test it out and if I don't like it, switch it out.

Try a 4w while you are looking at it, if you can get on a monitor you may find you get more out of it then a 3w.

I found that I can hit a 4w (16.5*) longer then a 3w just from the height and carry I get from it. JMO

Mike M.

IronsΒ G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome,Β 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

What if i carried in my hand, as a cane, my old 7iron but never put that club in my bag? Β I also carry, in my bag, 14 golf clubs. Β A violation?

• Administrator

What if i carried in my hand, as a cane, my old 7iron but never put that club in my bag? Β I also carry, in my bag, 14 golf clubs. Β A violation?

If it's a legitimateΒ "club" then yes.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Note:Β This thread is 3655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!