Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

New Nike Commercial - McIlroy and Wayne Rooney square off

14 posts in this topic

Nike doing a little cross promotion... I like the song.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Must be a UK commercial because I doubt many people here know who Wayne Rooney is.  I didn't but assume he's a famous soccer player based on the commercial.

Must be a UK commercial because I doubt many people here know who Wayne Rooney is.  I didn't but assume he's a famous soccer player based on the commercial.

apparently

I had not heard of him. Was the commercial a soccer ball commercial or a nike golf?  In other words am I supposed to look for that soccer ball in stores or buy Nike clubs/balls/shirts?

I liked the commercial, but then again I'm also a big soccer fan. Odd concept though, can't imagine there's much (if any) cross-over appeal but to mirror newtogolf's comment, I'm sure the target audience was European where both are highly recognized names.

Quote:
I doubt many people here know who Wayne Rooney is

Happy to provide a non-partisan summary. A forward who made his name playing for the significantly less successful of the teams who ply their trade on Merseyside (excluding Tranmere Rovers). Now plays for a club located about 35miles east of Merseyside who are currently languishing in 9th place in the English Premier League, and are still a couple of European Cups short of the most successful team on Merseyside. Went in search of a new club last summer but couldn't find any takers prepared to satisfy his current employer's inflated price tag expectations. Has a predilection for the (ahem!) older lady ( allegedly ). Don't know anything about his golf, though...

Happy to provide a non-partisan summary. A forward who made his name playing for the significantly less successful of the teams who ply their trade on Merseyside (excluding Tranmere Rovers). Now plays for a club located about 35miles east of Merseyside who are currently languishing in 9th place in the English Premier League, and are still a couple of European Cups short of the most successful team on Merseyside. Went in search of a new club last summer but couldn't find any takers prepared to satisfy his current employer's inflated price tag expectations. Has a predilection for the (ahem!) older lady ( allegedly ). Don't know anything about his golf, though...

Also very self-conscious about his balding head, and owner of the world's worst hair plugs. :-P

Kinda fun to pile on poor Wayne. What he lacks in hair he has in talent. He's a top level striker for Manchester United which is a perennial powerhouse in the Barclays Premier League. He scored a spectacular goal last year:

The commercial is to sell the soccer ball. I should mention that I'm a Chelsea supporter, but the guy is good.

Quote:
Kinda fun to pile on poor Wayne

He's not poor, he makes £250,000 per week. One of the reasons why no other club was especially interested in offering him a deal (including, I suspect, Chelsea). One seriously overvalued player.

Still, credit where credit's due. Despite his huge salary he still spends a lot of his free time with the elderly.

I don't follow football closely, but I remember Wayne Rooney from the last World Cup US telecasts. Something about elevated expectations and coming up short.

Cute commercial.  Rooney is a great player but also plays fairly rough.  They should have showed him slide tackling Rory before one of his shots and getting booked!

Happy to provide a non-partisan summary. A forward who made his name playing for the significantly less successful of the teams who ply their trade on Merseyside (excluding Tranmere Rovers). Now plays for a club located about 35miles east of Merseyside who are currently languishing in 9th place in the English Premier League, and are still a couple of European Cups short of the most successful team on Merseyside. Went in search of a new club last summer but couldn't find any takers prepared to satisfy his current employer's inflated price tag expectations. Has a predilection for the (ahem!) older lady (allegedly). Don't know anything about his golf, though...

Non-Partisan? ;-) One needs to know their English geography and European football history to know what a good post this is. I very much doubt they will finish in 9th, but right now they look like a mid-table team.

For the commercial, I like the Ronaldo cameo.

I had not heard of him. Was the commercial a soccer ball commercial or a nike golf?  In other words am I supposed to look for that soccer ball in stores or buy Nike clubs/balls/shirts?

Considering it says "THE NIKE ORDEM FOOTBALL" at the end of the commercial, I think they are trying to sell the ball.