IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

My course was still closed over the weekend even though there was no snow left anywhere in Philly and the temperature was close to 60 both days. Fortunately I was invited to play at another local course and we had a great day. Don't even know what my score was, I was just happy to walk the course and hit shots on a nice track. Got a little tired the last 3-4 holes; don't have my golf legs. That usually takes me a couple of rounds when the real season starts.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guess I should have started a "Back surgery depression" thread since I didn't get to play at all part year thanks to surgery last May, but the back is ready to go now (hopefully) and the temps are up to the 40s and the course is open, so it's go time! 

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Weather was pretty decent today so I took advantage of it to give my new Cobra Flyz driver a test drive. I only hit about 20 balls with it but was very impressed with how forgiving it seems to be. My driving with it seemed to be very accurate and it appears to give me more yardage than my old Ping G2 driver but I won't know for sure until I get to the course.

Well I believe winter is beginning to lose it's grip on those of us who live up North. The weather today got up in into the upper 50's so I took advantage of it. I took a shag bag full of balls to one of the local parks and began by working on some short pitch shots and short chip shots. That seemed to go well so next I tried out my new Cobra bio cell adjustable hybrid which I set to 20.5 degrees of loft. All I can say is this hybrid blew me away. What a sweet club this seems to be. I hit some tee shots with it and then hit shots off the deck with it. This is the first time I have had to give this or any other hybrid a chance. Every shot I hit with it was a beauty. I can't wait to use this at the course. This just might become my favorite club in my bag.

Played 9 holes over the weekend, which was by far the earliest I have played a round.

The course was in pretty good shape too.  But of course now it is raining/snowing in Colorado...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

WooHoo. Took a drive over to one of the local courses today. The grounds crew is working on getting the course ready for opening day. 

• Upvote 1

On March 7, 2016 at 0:40 PM, pumaAttack said:

Played 9 holes over the weekend, which was by far the earliest I have played a round.

The course was in pretty good shape too.  But of course now it is raining/snowing in Colorado...

Ah yes. A typical March weather in CO. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, Yukari said:

Ah yes. A typical March weather in CO. 

Don't worry!  It's gonna be in the 60s again this weekend.  Just in time for another snow storm.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Could have played today but I passed, it is going to be 65+ tomorrow up here but I can get to a track unfortunately. Will play somewhere this weekend though. Spozda be high 50's. Pretty nice for northern NH...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

12 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Here is the clip I referred to in the previous post, skip to 35:00 and set yourself to "cringe"...

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-central-monday-march-7-2016/

I happened to find the "previous post" you referred to... in a different thread.   I'm not sure why the kid and (especially) her dad are crying over something that they already fixed.  I guess they're expecting the kid to reach the LPGA and were crying at the thought that she'd have to get a *gasp* regular job!?

Back on-topic, the weather in Central NY is beautiful.  I got to the range yesterday and hit some balls.  Pretty good results for the first time out.  I'm happily sore in all the right places. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

38 minutes ago, krupa said:

I happened to find the "previous post" you referred to... in a different thread.   I'm not sure why the kid and (especially) her dad are crying over something that they already fixed.  I guess they're expecting the kid to reach the LPGA and were crying at the thought that she'd have to get a *gasp* regular job!?

Back on-topic, the weather in Central NY is beautiful.  I got to the range yesterday and hit some balls.  Pretty good results for the first time out.  I'm happily sore in all the right places. 

Hmm... maybe I posted here by accident. Weird. I'll ask to have it moved. It was strange behavior and kind of uncomfortable watching the guy.

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

32 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Hmm... maybe I posted here by accident. Weird. I'll ask to have it moved. It was strange behavior and kind of uncomfortable watching the guy.

The dad was just remembering when he was a lad and found out that he couldn't play on the LPGA. :)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Got to play yesterday.  Near 70, lots of sun and gale force winds!  Have been really jonesing to hit the new clubs.  They did well, for the most part.  Just enjoyed the round immensely.  Fairways decent, greens bad because they haven't been rolled and certainly aren't growing early March in NE Ohio.  But is was really nice to get out and hit the ball around.

Saturday weather supposed to be mid-60s as well.  Have an email out to a bunch of guys to see who might want to play this weekend.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

The courses in my neck of the woods aren't open yet. Yet I got out today to drive some balls with two different 3 woods to see which one performed better. The first 3 wood I tried was my Callaway Big Bertha adjustable 3 wood. I hit some balls with it using different adjustments. It seemed to work OK, yet I wasn't completely satisfied with it, simply because I know I can do better. Next I hit some balls with my Adams Supper S Speedline 15 degree fixed loft 3 wood. This Adams 3 wood performed significantly better than the Callaway Big Bertha for me. It out performed the Callaway in distance as well as accuracy and feel. And most interesting of all is the fact that the Adams 3 wood was half the cost of the Callaway Big Bertha. 

Courses in MA are opening up this weekend. It was 75F yesterday, a new record for March 9.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

Mother Nature just gave Boston a giant middle finger. First full day of spring and we have 5 to 8 inches of snow. Courses were open already! :pound:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Mother Nature just gave Boston a giant middle finger. First full day of spring and we have 5 to 8 inches of snow. Courses were open already! :pound:

Ouch.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Hop in your car and drive west across I-90 and come to Buffalo and play some golf. No snow here. Yes, some courses are open here.