IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious, seems like some experienced golfers here.  I looked back at some old threads seems like there's a wide variety of opinions.  I've been playing with the same guys for the past several seasons.  We've all turned the corner on golf together, but half the group really didn't learn basic rules or etiquette.  Its been interesting.  I think my regular group breaks rules and etiquette on almost every hole.

I care about rules and proper etiquette.  Rules obviously because there are so many possible and reasonable penalties that are part of the game.  Etiquette is different.  The items relating to consideration of other players is a golden rule thing.  EG I don't want three guys mingling behind me on my line on every teestroke, so I just don't do it.  I never say anything, but just try to set an example by taking a position near the tee where I'm off the players line, but where I can spot his ball in flight.  In my regular group, I'm the only one who seems to care about this.  Since my playing partners are oblivious to this, I'm used to having them back there "spotting" for me.  After years of my three man gallery, I don't really care if people are standing quietly behind me, but I don't do it, because thats what USGA recommends, and I don't need to stand in a players line.  Plus, on the putting surface this seems like cheating.

Then there's ready golf, which I know about but routinely ignore.  When playing with new partners I always surrender the box to the lowest score.  In my regular group, I only ever yield to a respectable score.  If we all hack it up, my group doesn't care who tees off first.  We usually walk and have standing agreement to play ready.

My downfall on etiquette is my phone.  Most of the time my phone is on and ringer can sometimes be heard.  If it rings in earshot of someones swing, which is infrequent during my normal friday playing time, I always offer a free replay.  I know this is sort of a breach, but I need to hear my phone.  How bad is it to leave your ringer on?  What do you guys do with your phone?

Didn't read through the entire thread but I think it's great your attempting to use etiquette even when your buddies may not. Playing by the rules and etiquette becomes contagious so the more people do it the more others may come around as well. For instance taking your cap off to shake hands at the end of a round. Not a lot of people do it anymore but the second one person removes their hat on the 18th green all of a sudden everybody is pulling theirs off.

Cell phones though,,,,a big No Go!

Put it on vibrate and check it after every shot you hit while your waiting for others!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Yeah, I know it's dumb.  I just feel bad when I take so long to play a hole b/c of wayward shots so I do it so as to not slow people up even more than I already have.

It's not dumb, it's how everyone should play, marking balls on the green should only be done when the ball is close to anothers path, otherwise it's silly, and ready putting is fine as well, especially for those already with a big number.

• Upvote 1

distractions from outside influences are part of the game.....AND not what Im complaining about.  Playing partners that cause distractions.......be it causing one to aim in a slightly different spot on the fairway......because of where they choose to stand.......whether deliberately or not is GAMESMANSHIP........and that is not golf.

Personally I would not want to, and therefore would not, play with someone as super-sensitive as you have portrayed yourself.  If you look for reasons to be disturbed you will surely find them.  How could I possible relax and enjoy a round of golf when I constantly have to worry about that level of sensitivity to anything?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Put it on vibrate and check it after every shot you hit while your waiting for others!

I would agree with this point here, mostly because you should still be able to feel it (assuming it's in your pocket, and having it in a back pocket doesn't usually interfere with your swing) if it's on vibrate. That way you still know when it's ringing, but others don't get interrupted by it!

• Upvote 1

I know we're talking mostly about phones with respect to talking on them, emails, or text messages but what about using it for golf purposes?

I use my phone as a scorecard, used to use it as a GPS before I got my rangefinder, and also use it as a shot tracker and feel as long as you're not slowing people up, it's not an issue.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

It's not dumb, it's how everyone should play, marking balls on the green should only be done when the ball is close to anothers path, otherwise it's silly, and ready putting is fine as well, especially for those already with a big number.

i agree.  there is often no need to mark your ball other than to clean it, and then set it back down, or to rotate the ball so that your line is lined up.  people mark their balls and pocket them because they see the pros do it.

also, if i am 50 yards ahead of you and not anywhere near your line, i am walking to my ball.  deal with it.

Colin P.

i agree.  there is often no need to mark your ball other than to clean it, and then set it back down, or to rotate the ball so that your line is lined up.  people mark their balls and pocket them because they see the pros do it.

also, if i am 50 yards ahead of you and not anywhere near your line, i am walking to my ball.  deal with it.

Sweet, I get to aim at a moving target! :banana:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

its etiquette not to walk ahead of people for a reason,:

you are most likely going to be walking ahead of the people that are  behind you whilst they are hitting hence causing a distraction because:

1. you are moving

2. the players hitting have to concern themselves where you will have moved to by the time they take address and hit the ball

3. with your back to them you are visibly showing a DISINTEREST in what they are doing/observing where their ball goes, maintaining the integrity of the game /fairness to the field when you sign their card(yes you are meant to watch them hit the majority of shots)

4. obvious safety reasons...at my club I've heard of about 10 people getting very badly hurt/hit......and the ball was from "friendly fire", playing partners, not strays from adjoining fairways.

you are putting extra pressure on the players behind you to:

1. play faster, because they are made to feel they are behind all the time....you've hit it pass them, be happy with that, you don't have to announce it to the world and go position yourself where your ball finished up

2. have to not miss hit their next shot to avoid you standing down the fairway, not of all us are pro standard and can hit it down the line of the gallery.

3. people that walk ahead seem only to be working in straight lines, the people behind you may be thinking of shaping their shot left or right, especially if they are positioned on one side of the fairway.  There is nothing worse than having to yell at the clown 80 yards down to move out of the way because you are intending to perhaps hit a fade and need to start it near where they are standing........there is always the risk of a double cross or straight ball taking them out.......

Ive really explained this all in previous posts, but if there are people here that believe that there need to walk ahead overrides all these reasons for the etiquette, then hope we never shall meet.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker0065 View Post

Its part of the rule at our club that not only should the phone be on silent, but you shouldn't be using it through the round as your portable office/entertainment.  If you can't be away from communication for business, personal etc for the duration of your round, you haven't got the time to be playing golf.  Part of golf is being social with the group no matter who you are, whether its a 12 year old paired up with a 65 year old or similar.  Its just the same as if you went out for a meal and the people around you were doing nothing but checking their email and replying to texts rather than engaging with the people that actually went to dinner with them.

Im not sure on the current state of the ruling, but phones with gps functions are not permitted if they have connections that permit one to get local weather conditions......which is basically all phones, personally I don't care if someone is using their phone legitimately in this case as a GPS as I don't see any advantage in being able to get a local weather report/radar reading etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac1 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker0065 View Post

Its part of the rule at our club that not only should the phone be on silent, but you shouldn't be using it through the round as your portable office/entertainment.  If you can't be away from communication for business, personal etc for the duration of your round, you haven't got the time to be playing golf.  Part of golf is being social with the group no matter who you are, whether its a 12 year old paired up with a 65 year old or similar.  Its just the same as if you went out for a meal and the people around you were doing nothing but checking their email and replying to texts rather than engaging with the people that actually went to dinner with them.

Im not sure on the current state of the ruling, but phones with gps functions are not permitted if they have connections that permit one to get local weather conditions......which is basically all phones, personally I don't care if someone is using their phone legitimately in this case as a GPS as I don't see any advantage in being able to get a local weather report/radar reading etc.

This is the first thing you've said lately that I agree with.  People who treat the golf course as an outdoor office drive me nuts.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

its etiquette not to walk ahead of people for a reason,:  you are most likely going to be walking ahead of the people that are  behind you whilst they are hitting hence causing a distraction because: 1. you are moving 2. the players hitting have to concern themselves where you will have moved to by the time they take address and hit the ball 3. with your back to them you are visibly showing a DISINTEREST in what they are doing/observing where their ball goes, maintaining the integrity of the game /fairness to the field when you sign their card(yes you are meant to watch them hit the majority of shots) 4. obvious safety reasons...at my club I've heard of about 10 people getting very badly hurt/hit......and the ball was from "friendly fire", playing partners, not strays from adjoining fairways. you are putting extra pressure on the players behind you to: 1. play faster, because they are made to feel they are behind all the time....you've hit it pass them, be happy with that, you don't have to announce it to the world and go position yourself where your ball finished up 2. have to not miss hit their next shot to avoid you standing down the fairway, not of all us are pro standard and can hit it down the line of the gallery. 3. people that walk ahead seem only to be working in straight lines, the people behind you may be thinking of shaping their shot left or right, especially if they are positioned on one side of the fairway.  There is nothing worse than having to yell at the clown 80 yards down to move out of the way because you are intending to perhaps hit a fade and need to start it near where they are standing........there is always the risk of a double cross or straight ball taking them out....... Ive really explained this all in previous posts, but if there are people here that believe that there need to walk ahead overrides all these reasons for the etiquette, then hope we never shall meet.

I disagree with pretty much everything you've written here. Are you ready to hit the moment you reach your ball? I doubt it, so while you're pulling your club I'm walking to my ball and when I get there you should be ready to hit. as I said, I am not anywhere near your line. if you can't hit because I'm standing 45° off your line, then that's a you problem not a me problem. I have no problem putting pressure on people to walk faster and play faster. Learn how to play with slight distractions and you'll become better. It is not a breach of etiquette to walk ahead of your playing partner or else you would not see it on the PGA Tour every week.

Colin P.

Are you ready to hit the moment you reach your ball? I doubt it, so while you're pulling your club I'm walking to my ball and when I get there you should be ready to hit. as I said, I am not anywhere near your line. if you can't hit because I'm standing 45° off your line, then that's a you problem not a me problem.

well yes I am ready to hit, Ill typically get to my ball first because I walk quickly.....and if the group stops moving while I address the ball, Ill hit it.  But there are clowns that keep moving!......treating one like they are not there.

If you are on the fairway you are not 45 degrees of my line,if you are 50 yards ahead on a 50 yard wide fairway then there is a zero chance of you being within 45 degrees of the intended line......think about it, worst case scenario, Im on one edge of the fairway , you are on the opposite, we'd be 45 degrees apart.....but where would I be aiming, somewhere done the middle of that giving me only 22 degrees of margin either way.......

Back to the rest of the time the angle for error would be much smaller, and that's part of etiquette, if you are making others uncomfortable by where you choose to position yourself, then that is bad etiquette, regardless of whether you feel comfortable given only a 5 degree window to hit in to.

I have no problem putting pressure on people to walk faster and play faster. Learn how to play with slight distractions and you'll become better. It is not a breach of etiquette to walk ahead of your playing partner or else you would not see it on the PGA Tour every week.

you see it on the PGA tour because they are always waiting on the group in front.  If the coast was clear, Bubba wouldn't be walking to his ball 100yards further down whilst his partner was hitting.  True enough they will hit when someone is positioned further down the fairway, but Ive never seen them make people hit it over their heads, and a pro probably is comfortable hitting into a 5 degree window.

Though I did see the caddy for Julieta Granada(one of the shorter hitters on tour) have to go and clear the two big hitting partners of hers out of the way in an LPGA event

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

Are you ready to hit the moment you reach your ball? I doubt it, so while you're pulling your club I'm walking to my ball and when I get there you should be ready to hit. as I said, I am not anywhere near your line. if you can't hit because I'm standing 45° off your line, then that's a you problem not a me problem.

well yes I am ready to hit, Ill typically get to my ball first because I walk quickly.....and if the group stops moving while I address the ball, Ill hit it.  But there are clowns that keep moving!......treating one like they are not there.

If you are on the fairway you are not 45 degrees of my line,if you are 50 yards ahead on a 50 yard wide fairway then there is a zero chance of you being within 45 degrees of the intended line......think about it, worst case scenario, Im on one edge of the fairway , you are on the opposite, we'd be 45 degrees apart.....but where would I be aiming, somewhere done the middle of that giving me only 22 degrees of margin either way.......

Back to the rest of the time the angle for error would be much smaller, and that's part of etiquette, if you are making others uncomfortable by where you choose to position yourself, then that is bad etiquette, regardless of whether you feel comfortable given only a 5 degree window to hit in to.

As mentioned above, even the pros do it, and they are generally sticklers for etiquette.  I don't walk, but I often drive ahead, making sure that I'm off to one side, but I have gone as much as 60 or 70 yards ahead of someone who is getting ready to play.  I park and sit still and watch while they hit, or if I've had time to get out of the cart I will stop what I'm doing and watch them hit.  By doing that, my cart companion and I are ready to play immediately.  Half the time by the time the guy I passed has driven up, I've already hit and am ready to head for the green.  You just have to use your head and know when to do it and when it's inappropriate.  To say that it's always wrong is, well..... wrong.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Pretty much what @Fourputt said. Why are you assuming that you're in the fairway? Or that I'm in the fairway? Or that the hole doesn't angle away from the playing partner who has so egregiously walked ahead of you?

Colin P.

As mentioned above, even the pros do it, and they are generally sticklers for etiquette.  I don't walk, but I often drive ahead, making sure that I'm off to one side, but I have gone as much as 60 or 70 yards ahead of someone who is getting ready to play.

that's even worse.......people who drive carts going ahead.......a bigger obstacle to negotiate......I think that deserves another thread, etiquette in using a cart.

Pretty much what @Fourputt said.

Why are you assuming that you're in the fairway? Or that I'm in the fairway? Or that the hole doesn't angle away from the playing partner who has so egregiously walked ahead of you?

for the majority of the time, that is the typical scenario, both players on the fairway and the bomber walking ahead, if you care to read carefully, then I am understanding of perhaps the bomber  discretely walking ahead well off the fairway to look for their ball in the trees.

If I'm off the fairway/in trouble its even more reason the person shouldn't be walking ahead, they wont have any idea how my ball is lying, what is in the way, whether Im going to have to chip out sideways, go left or right of an obstacle.......whatever.  Its tough enough establishing the line to hit on, then having to check where the clown is that is walking ahead.....gimme a break.

How about you just don't worry about hitting the clown? He assumes a risk by walking ahead. Trust me, in this scenario I'm always looking back. If you hit him, at least you can say he deserved it for walking ahead of you. And whom do you play with where "the majority of the time both players are in the fairway"?

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!