IGNORED

Will Phil Mickelson Win The U.S. Open To Complete The Career Grand Slam

Mulligan Jeff
Note: This thread is 3301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will he?

• Yes
    • No

I say NO. I think Phil is too wrapped up in the image of 'greatness' and wants to be measured with those very few men who have accomplished this tough task. Such a mindset will not serve him well at  Pinehurst.  And after this year, and 5th place at the Open, he will be a deflated middle-aged man.

If Lefty is going to take the Stricker route and play less tournaments, that might just make the difference when it comes to the US Open this year.  Naturally he will play TPC Southwind the week before as his 'warm up' which as a strategy worked brilliantly in 2013 for both the US Open and Open Championships.  Lefty is predictable in the fact that he's totally unpredictable, but the 'less is more,' approach could just get him over the finish line at Pinehurst.

It better happen soon then, because at his age, the statistics are against him.

I would agree the odds are against Phil winning the US Open. The US Open set up just isn't well suited to Phil's game (staying out of the rough).   But then the odds were against his ever winning the British Open for the same reason plus the wind.  So I won't bet against Phil winning anywhere and I sure would like to see Phil win this one.

Butch

I voted yes!

I think he has a legitimate chance at the least!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Although I don't hate Hefty like I used to, I still hope it never happens...

I kinda feel the same way. My 10-years-ago self would hate me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sometimes the harder you try to win a major, the more you try and force things and the more the odds are stacked against you. I remember Tiger saying at the 2006 Masters he was trying "too hard" to win for his dad....and I think one of the reasons he hasn't won a major the last few years is he's been trying too hard. I think Phil was overthinking things on the back 9 at Merion last year and it cost him.

I do think Pinehurst is the best course for him and suits him the best. It's a demanding course that tests your short game. In the two U.S. Opens held there, a total of ZERO players broke par.

Good things happen when you know a course extremely well. Phil has made it known that this is the last thing "big thing" he wants to do in his career. I think he'll have the upper hand on being one of if not the most researched golfer when it comes to the US Open courses. I fully expect him to have the Pinehurst course and greens completely memorized...and if he doesn't win in 2014 than expect him to start studying Chambers Bay right away ;-)

He's an intelligent golfer, I expect him to be at top 10 in the next five US Opens...and think he'll win one of them.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Aren't the odds stacking up for him to finish 2nd?

Why do you say that?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I kinda feel the same way. My 10-years-ago self would hate me.

ha!!!  me too!  my ten years ago self would call me benedict....

Colin P.

I wouldn't have thought he could win the US Open until I saw him win The Open and the tourney before that. Not to say that they are the same style or tourney, obviously, but that he still has the ability to buckle down and focus on getting it done. Then again there are all the demons lurking from previous US Opens...

Maybe I'm too young to know, but why did/do so many people dislike Phil? I don't see this "fakeness" everyone refers to...

I wouldn't have thought he could win the US Open until I saw him win The Open and the tourney before that. Not to say that they are the same style or tourney, obviously, but that he still has the ability to buckle down and focus on getting it done. Then again there are all the demons lurking from previous US Opens... Maybe I'm too young to know, but why did/do so many people dislike Phil? I don't see this "fakeness" everyone refers to...

Well, it's like when your wife asks you why you don't hang out with that guy from work, and you say "I don't know, he's just a dick" and she says "well what makes him a dick" and you say "he's just a dick, I don't know what makes him a dick"... That's how it was with Hefty.

Colin P.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENtSwing32

I wouldn't have thought he could win the US Open until I saw him win The Open and the tourney before that. Not to say that they are the same style or tourney, obviously, but that he still has the ability to buckle down and focus on getting it done. Then again there are all the demons lurking from previous US Opens...

Maybe I'm too young to know, but why did/do so many people dislike Phil? I don't see this "fakeness" everyone refers to...

Well, it's like when your wife asks you why you don't hang out with that guy from work, and you say "I don't know, he's just a dick" and she says "well what makes him a dick" and you say "he's just a dick, I don't know what makes him a dick"... That's how it was with Hefty

LMAO!! Totally get that. I get the same feeling watching Rory Sabbatini (sp?)...dude just annoys me. Watching pro golf is interesting in that you get to see much more of a player's reactions and personality traits than actual performance.

LMAO!! Totally get that. I get the same feeling watching Rory Sabbatini (sp?)...dude just annoys me. Watching pro golf is interesting in that you get to see much more of a player's reactions and personality traits than actual performance.

Exactly. Like who could watch MA Jimenez and not want to play a round with him?

Colin P.

• 1 year later...

Phil hasn't gotten the career slam, but he has achieved the second best thing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mickelson-finishes-career-seconds-slam-masters-024820443--golf.html

Career Seconds Slam!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 3301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!