IGNORED

Playing golf with your dog in tow?

Bing
Note: This thread is 2133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone else play golf and take their dog round with them? Here in the UK very few clubs seem to allow it however my home club does and that's is one of the major reasons I join as it's nearly twice as expensive as the other local clubs. My club Goodwood is the best course in the area (Justin Rose is an ambassador for them) so it's not like it a poor course that doesn't care about condition. I don't take her up in competition rounds out of courtesy of my playing partners but have a regular 3 ball where we all take our dogs out. We keep them under control, off greens and tees and clean up after them. I just don't really see why most other courses around here don't allow it?

Interesting, I think most courses just don't want the extra responsibility of dogs and what they bring, I can appreciate how you guys take care not to let the dogs become a nuisance but I can also see some people letting their dogs run wild all over the course causing a problem.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Why would you take your dog with you play golf?  It seems like it would just slow down play and be annoying.  Dogs are great but theres some places they dont belong and the golf course is one of them.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

For every responsible dog owner such as yourself, there are 10 that will refuse to clean up after them, and let them piss on the greens. Those 10 ruin it for everyone. Plus...it's not really necessary to bring your dog to the course, lets be honest.

Why would you take your dog with you play golf?  It seems like it would just slow down play and be annoying.  Dogs are great but theres some places they dont belong and the golf course is one of them.

+1.  The dogs can't control their territorial instinct to mark :no: .   They also scare other golfers - my wife is terrified of barking dogs.

My ex-company allowed workers to bring dogs into their office.   It was a freaking joke, too.  For a very few dog lovers who could not part with their dogs when they come to work, people who were afraid of dogs or allergic to one has to silently suffer instead of being labeled as politically incorrect.   The company went out of business BTW.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bringing dogs is quite common on my home course (think it´s pretty common all over sweden). I too bring my dog from time to time, and to be honest it doesent speed me up on the course nor does it slow me down, play just the same as normally. But i do have some real use of her when i slip my ball into the forrest (unforgiving forrest course) since i´ve gotten her to find balls on command (quite good way to spend time when waiting for the ball infront to get moving aswell).

Most people here behave quite well with their dogs and take care of the things around them, but as always there are the few that does not and is the most visible... happened a few times that I´ve used the spare plastic thats always in a pocket to pick up someone elses stuff in the middle of fw :s

I was playing a shot out of the heather in the UK I forget where, thought I was alone, out of nowhere comes "that will work" or something - it was a guy walking his dog, dressed nattily in tweed. So not only golfers with dogs but non golfers.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

funny, I've always thought it would be fun to bring a dog as company on the golf course say in the evening after work when the course isn't busy, but I've never ever seen anyone do it on all the courses I"ve played ... imagine it simply isn't allowed

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Late in the evening their are many home owners on the local course that come out and throw balls for their dogs along the rough next to the fairways. There is a high degree of community movement in and around this particular course, it's kind of known for it. People out for walks on the cart paths and cutting through the course on foot in order to get home faster. I suppose that would come to an end if it was a problem.

I did have one incident with four dogs off leash approaching me on a green, they appeared to be in that in-between friendly and not friendly state. I honestly prepared for a confrontation (I know that they sense that and respond in kind) and yelled for the owners to call their dogs back. The dogs immediately circled back to their owners. I didn't like sounding like an ass, but that lead dog had his head low and was purposefully coming toward me, the others were on his flanks and it was clearly pack behavior. I think the owners were a little embarrassed that their little darlings had upset me.

I do think that all superintendents should have a dog as a companion and goose chaser out on the course. Here is a blog about a golf course dog:

http://viewfromthecart.blogspot.com/

And a link to the Turf.net photo calendar top picks (yearly calendar of Superintendents Best Friends):

http://www.turfnet.com/page/best_friends_2013.html

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Some interesting thoughts, I take mine up as I have a springer spaniel that needs lots of exercise so 4 a hour hour walk is great. I've never noticed any damage to the greens or course however we do get plenty of rain which may wash it away. The dog needing a walk is also a good excuse for me to get out with a few clubs in the summer evenings so my game stays sharp. I wouldn't take her however if she was in anyway aggressive or out of control, our course is one where no fairways run up and down so she can't really bother anyone else.

Having a dog to find your ball like one poster above said is a very handy thing to have as long as the dog doesn't pick it up he could be a great asset.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I watched something on the golf channel about Tom Watson and they did an interview with him as he played a round on his home course with his dogs following him. I'd love to do the same but I doubt courses allow it and even if they did, I'm not sure that she would follow.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

The last dog I had was a Lab that learned to play centerfield (with a passion) when I threw batting practice to my son every day. She could even read a pitch on the outside corner and start toward right field before it was hit. I always told my son that if you could ever find a human that put that much effort into a sport you would have something. When we started playing golf we hit dozens of golf balls down across the hay field with our drivers. She would diligently search for them long after we went back in the house and bring them back to where we hit them from and drop them all together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsc123

I watched something on the golf channel about Tom Watson and they did an interview with him as he played a round on his home course with his dogs following him. I'd love to do the same but I doubt courses allow it and even if they did, I'm not sure that she would follow.

The last dog I had was a Lab that learned to play centerfield (with a passion) when I threw batting practice to my son every day. She could even read a pitch on the outside corner and start toward right field before it was hit. I always told my son that if you could ever find a human that put that much effort into a sport you would have something.

When we started playing golf we hit dozens of golf balls down across the hay field with our drivers. She would diligently search for them long after we went back in the house and bring them back to where we hit them from and drop them all together.

D'awwww. Love these dog stories. Labrador Retriever is the most aptly named dog type.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I remember a dog at the A.L. Gustin Golf Club at University of Missouri in the late 1970s. It was a medium-size tan dog, not sure what breed.

One of the regular members rigged up his two-wheel cart with a harness: this dog then pulled it. Clubs rode at at 45* angle when the dog was in motion. The owner told the dog "stop" when he got to his ball.

And, the dog didn't bark when on the course, and wasn't allowed onto the greens. The dog seemed to be well trained.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I just don't really see why most other courses around here don't allow it?

Poop, allergies, liability, noise...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bing

I just don't really see why most other courses around here don't allow it?

Poop, allergies, liability, noise...

Intimidating people who fear/don't like dogs, they will be chasing wild animals (turkeys, deers, birds, ...), interfering with golfing, ....

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 3 years later...

We play with our dogs all the time.  You're right that relatively few courses welcome (More in Scotland, south England, most expensive clubs and least expensive clubs.  Fewer in Midlands, Ireland, Wales and middle tier clubs).  I've started a website to help people who want to golf with their dogs - www.doggolf.info.

Bruce (and Grace & Rusty)

Note: This thread is 2133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!