IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yep. Nothing takes the place of experience. That's why so many of the young kids now are so good. They are travelling around playing in tournaments at 10 years old. By the time they get in high school it's no big deal to them. Another one from Bobby Jones: "No one knows what will happen in golf until it happens. All you can do is work and suffer and wait for fate."

Best of luck. It's great to have dreams...... I did as well, then, marriage, family, home, another home, job, health issues, you get the picture. I'm not trying to discourage you at all just the opposite! I applaud your goals and I wish you the best of luck with your business venture.

doc

SteveG.

Callaway RAZRX  4- PW Lefty
Callaway forged wedges 52 deg. 56 deg. and 60 deg. LH
Nike Covert 2.0. Driver Stiff LH set neutral 10.5 deg.
Titleist 3 Wood 15 deg.Stiff LH
Titleist 5  wood 18.5 deg. Stiff LH 
Odyssey  35", LH
Titleist Pro V1

thank you everyone. I'm going to try and get to the range every day the week of my next tournament so that i can have some sort of muscle memory haha. I'm going to post a couple videos of some swings I'm experimenting with and see what you guys think on my swing thread

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

In any competitive situation, every sport becomes different (and usually more difficult). The more you do it, the more comfortable you feel. I remember playing basketball in junior high/high school, and the first real game it felt like I completely forgot how to dribble and shoot. Each game got easier.

Also, I can't help but think of Hogan's 5 Lessons book...a solid, well constructed swing performs BETTER under pressure. Look at it as way to truly test how solid your swing is.

does anyone have any tips for nerves (i guess thats whats wrong with me)

Hey Kyle,

First of all, I'm sorry I missed you today.  I got there a bit late and you were already teeing off, and afterwards I assume your flight wrapped up before we were in the clubhouse?  I think I saw you a couple of times on the course though ... orange shirt, pants, no hat???

Anyways, I have the same issue with the nerves.  Its a whole different feeling when you're teeing it up when it "counts."  I don't have a lot of advice because I fight the same issues every time out. One thing I have noticed, though, is that when I have high expectations, or for that matter, ANY expectations, that's when the nerves start affecting me.  One of my better finishes last year was in my first tournament, where I had back-to-back quads on the 2nd and 3rd hole, but then was able to completely relax because there was nothing to play for.  Lo and behold, after that I played really well without even noticing because my tournament was "over."  I managed a T4 or T5 (can't remember exactly).  And my best finish last year was after a couple of bad tournaments, where I couldn't hit the ball at all, so I had kind of resigned myself to play poorly, and again ... I just didn't allow myself to worry about any shots, because I "knew" I was going to suck.  And, that day I had my best round of the season (tournament or not) and won the whole thing by 2 shots.

So my advice would be to try your best to just not think about any of the shots, not worry about any consequences, not pay attention to anybody else, and just take each shot as if it was a practice shot.  It means nothing!  A lot harder to do than it sounds, because I still struggle with the nerves a lot.  Today, I played decent, but never really hit the ball great because I was dealing with some nerves too.

Another thing that helps is just meeting a lot of the guys you're playing with, and then next time you play with them, it'll be like you're playing with your buddies.  That can help calm the nerves too.

Don't give up.

------------------------------

So I probably owe you a drink, because my David Simms style play on the 3rd hole didn't pay off.  I topped ... yes, TOPPED ... a 5 iron about 80 yards off the tee.  Couldn't get to the green from there, then ended up missing a 5 footer to save a bogey ... finishing with a double bogey 6.  :(

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Kyle,

First of all, I'm sorry I missed you today.  I got there a bit late and you were already teeing off, and afterwards I assume your flight wrapped up before we were in the clubhouse?  I think I saw you a couple of times on the course though ... orange shirt, pants, no hat???

Anyways, I have the same issue with the nerves.  Its a whole different feeling when you're teeing it up when it "counts."  I don't have a lot of advice because I fight the same issues every time out. One thing I have noticed, though, is that when I have high expectations, or for that matter, ANY expectations, that's when the nerves start affecting me.  One of my better finishes last year was in my first tournament, where I had back-to-back quads on the 2nd and 3rd hole, but then was able to completely relax because there was nothing to play for.  Lo and behold, after that I played really well without even noticing because my tournament was "over."  I managed a T4 or T5 (can't remember exactly).  And my best finish last year was after a couple of bad tournaments, where I couldn't hit the ball at all, so I had kind of resigned myself to play poorly, and again ... I just didn't allow myself to worry about any shots, because I "knew" I was going to suck.  And, that day I had my best round of the season (tournament or not) and won the whole thing by 2 shots.

So my advice would be to try your best to just not think about any of the shots, not worry about any consequences, not pay attention to anybody else, and just take each shot as if it was a practice shot.  It means nothing!  A lot harder to do than it sounds, because I still struggle with the nerves a lot.  Today, I played decent, but never really hit the ball great because I was dealing with some nerves too.

Another thing that helps is just meeting a lot of the guys you're playing with, and then next time you play with them, it'll be like you're playing with your buddies.  That can help calm the nerves too.

Don't give up.

------------------------------

So I probably owe you a drink, because my David Simms style play on the 3rd hole didn't pay off.  I topped ... yes, TOPPED ... a 5 iron about 80 yards off the tee.  Couldn't get to the green from there, then ended up missing a 5 footer to save a bogey ... finishing with a double bogey 6.  :(

thank you and ya that was me. i think i saw you on the par 5 on the back 9. i forgot which hole it was. 12 or 13 or something haha. i was teeing off. i hit some good shots today. but my bad shots made me pay. i had 3 triples and a quad and that just destroyed me. i think i just need to slow everything down. i've been playing the round over and over in my head. i feel like maybe i sped everything up cuz i cuffed a 3 wood on one hole and was like ok 330 out still can't get there. hit a 3 iron solid about 215 and left myself 120ish out. i hit a 3/4 50* and it was right next to the pin. everyone commented my tempo was the best it was all day. i should have thought more about it i guess

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

its just such a drastic difference. my last round was 41-47 88 and this tournament was 45-56 101. if i shoot mid 90's in the next tournament i will not quit. I'm not looking to win. just a decent showing. i think thats the most frustrating part. should i try to focus more or just stay relaxed and not care? I'm just lost at this. i mean to be honest i've never entered a tournament of any kind before these 2. could it be that because i have literally no experience in any sort of tournament that its hitting me harder than most?

Chin up Kyle, tournament golf is a different kind of golf, it will make you a better player in the long run. But from my experience, it takes time to grow accustomed to the pressure that comes with every shot counting. We play tournament golf over here in Ireland all the time, our handicap system is built around competitive golf. Only (a maximum of) 10 Non- Competition rounds each year can be included in our handicap calculations, the majority of our handicap is based on Club Members Competitions or "Opens" (which I think is what you refer to as Tournaments) Anyway, I was a (Very) casual golfer for 2011 & 2012 but I was playing off 18, I got a HC in 2013 and I finished the year off 17.... 1 shot you may think.... I can safely say that I am so many shots better than I was back then of 18, the difference being last year, every shot counted. It took me nearly 6 months to get accustomed ro competitive golf, but once you do, you'll look back and see that you're a better golfer all around. It's a mental thing, it takes time, but it's well worth grinding it out. You have a Quad in a casual round and it can be forgotten, in a competitive round it lingers and is at the back of your mind.... Once you can learn to cope with a disaster and remove it from your thoughts, then you're playing competitive golf. The only shot that counts is the next one! Keep at it!

Chin up Kyle, tournament golf is a different kind of golf, it will make you a better player in the long run.

But from my experience, it takes time to grow accustomed to the pressure that comes with every shot counting.

We play tournament golf over here in Ireland all the time, our handicap system is built around competitive golf.

Only (a maximum of) 10 rounds each year can be included in our handicap calculations, the majority of our handicap is based on Club Members Competitions or "Opens" (which I think is what you refer to as Tournaments)

Anyway, I was a (Very) casual golfer for 2011 & 2012 but I was playing off 18, I got a HC in 2013 and I finished the year off 17.... 1 shot you may think.... I can safely say that I am so many shots better than I was back then of 18, the difference being last year, every shot count. It took me nearly 6 months to get accustomed ro competitive golf, but once you do, you'll look back and see that you're a better golfer all around.

It's a mental thing, it takes time, but it's well worth grinding it out.

You have a Quad in a casual round and it can be forgotten, in a competitive round it lingers and is at the back of your mind.... Once you can learn to cope with a disaster and remove it from your thoughts, then you're playing competitive golf. The only shot that counts is the next one!

Keep at it!

thank you for the kind words. i really appreciate it i honestly still can't wait for the next tournament february 9th

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

I can relate to the " gitters" When I was racing, my tummy felt like it was going to explode, I had butterfly's so bad, after about 3 or 4 races, they seemed to go away for the most part, although I still got a tad nervous on the starting line, once the flag dropped, all was good. Anyways, hang in there, I'm sure your gitters will calm down, or totally go away .

One thing that might help is Deep breathing exercises, they can calm you down somewhat.

Good Luck

I can relate to the " gitters" When I was racing, my tummy felt like it was going to explode, I had butterfly's so bad, after about 3 or 4 races, they seemed to go away for the most part, although I still got a tad nervous on the starting line, once the flag dropped, all was good. Anyways, hang in there, I'm sure your gitters will calm down, or totally go away .

One thing that might help is Deep breathing exercises, they can calm you down somewhat.

Good Luck

thank you. what did you race by the way? i've always wanted to race

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

I started out racing Dirt Track (on motorcycles) after a few years I switched to roadracing, way faster and WAY more expensive..read about 1000.00 per weekend, if nothing broke..lol On the dirt I raced 250cc 2 strokes (air cooled) on the asphalt, I raced 600cc bikes, so the power was way more, and falling down at over 1000 mph wasn't much fun..lol

thank you for the kind words. i really appreciate it i honestly still can't wait for the next tournament february 9th

That's great, but one word of advice based on my struggle.... wait for it.... "can't wait" :-D is not a good thing.

You build it up, are all excited, play the course in your head so many times in advance etc etc

That, in my opinion, is a big part of the problem...over excitement, expectations etc.

You rarely  do all this for casual rounds I guess?

As I said before, it took me ages to learn this, and maybe personal experience is the only learning tool!

But if you can, try to approach it like a casual round.

I'm guessing you were at the course way earlier than usual?

Hit far more balls at the range than you would before a casual round?

I used to get there over an hour before my round, I found that was way too early...

30-40 mins gets me were I need to be, anything more and the demons can appear :cry:

Less stress, more success.

Check out a free app on iOS called "The Mind Factor" by Karl Morris, it's free (he did some mental coaching with GMac)

• Upvote 1

I recommend you watch "golf stereotypes" on youtube. Get a laugh, and play more golf. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That's great, but one word of advice based on my struggle.... wait for it.... "can't wait"  is not a good thing.

You build it up, are all excited, play the course in your head so many times in advance etc etc

That, in my opinion, is a big part of the problem...over excitement, expectations etc.

As I said before, it took me ages to learn this, and maybe personal experience is the only learning tool!

I used to get there over an hour before my round, I found that was way too early...

30-40 mins gets me were I need to be, anything more and the demons can appear

Check out a free app on iOS called "The Mind Factor" by Karl Morris, it's free (he did some mental coaching with GMac)

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say earlier, but explained much better.  All of the prep and planning leads to expectations, and expectations leads to "can't wait."  I'm the same way ... I still went over every tee shot on this course in my head daily for the last week or so.  I would never do something like that for a typical casual round.  Same thing with the "day of" prep.  Arrive earlier than usual, warm up more than usual.  Push those expectations through the roof, and its really hard not to get disappointed and frustrated when a few things start to go awry.  Which they, almost inevitably, will.

These tournaments are all learning experiences.  Take something from it, get better, and keep plugging along.

Hey Kyle, First of all, I'm sorry I missed you today.  I got there a bit late and you were already teeing off, and afterwards I assume your flight wrapped up before we were in the clubhouse?  I think I saw you a couple of times on the course though ... orange shirt, pants, no hat??? Anyways, I have the same issue with the nerves.  Its a whole different feeling when you're teeing it up when it "counts."  I don't have a lot of advice because I fight the same issues every time out. One thing I have noticed, though, is that when I have high expectations, or for that matter, ANY expectations, that's when the nerves start affecting me.  One of my better finishes last year was in my first tournament, where I had back-to-back quads on the 2nd and 3rd hole, but then was able to completely relax because there was nothing to play for.  Lo and behold, after that I played really well without even noticing because my tournament was "over."  I managed a T4 or T5 (can't remember exactly).  And my best finish last year was after a couple of bad tournaments, where I couldn't hit the ball at all, so I had kind of resigned myself to play poorly, and again ... I just didn't allow myself to worry about any shots, because I "knew" I was going to suck.  And, that day I had my best round of the season (tournament or not) and won the whole thing by 2 shots. So my advice would be to try your best to just not think about any of the shots, not worry about any consequences, not pay attention to anybody else, and just take each shot as if it was a practice shot.  It means nothing!  A lot harder to do than it sounds, because I still struggle with the nerves a lot.  Today, I played decent, but never really hit the ball great because I was dealing with some nerves too. Another thing that helps is just meeting a lot of the guys you're playing with, and then next time you play with them, it'll be like you're playing with your buddies.  That can help calm the nerves too. Don't give up. ------------------------------ So I probably owe you a drink, because my David Simms style play on the 3rd hole didn't pay off.  I topped ... yes, TOPPED ... a 5 iron about 80 yards off the tee.  Couldn't get to the green from there, then ended up missing a 5 footer to save a bogey ... finishing with a double bogey 6.  :(

T4 out of 18. Nice job! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

does anyone have any tips for nerves (i guess thats whats wrong with me)

It may be nerves and it sounds like your putting more pressure on yourself than your ready to handle (on the golf course that is). One thing I used to do and you can do is start putting pressure on yourself during casual rounds so your more used to it, one kind of silly way is before the round set a goal and if you make it do something for yourself or buy something you may want that way you have something riding on it.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

That's great, but one word of advice based on my struggle.... wait for it.... "can't wait"  is not a good thing.

You build it up, are all excited, play the course in your head so many times in advance etc etc

30-40 mins gets me were I need to be, anything more and the demons can appear

thats true. i don't approach these like casual rounds. and i look at the course layout and the scorecard and plan my round out. i'll try not to look at anything until the day i play. and ya i show up way early, but i do that for everything. I'm a time freak hahahaha

I recommend you watch "golf stereotypes" on youtube.

Get a laugh, and play more golf.

will do haha thank you

Yeah, this is what I was trying to say earlier, but explained much better.  All of the prep and planning leads to expectations, and expectations leads to "can't wait."  I'm the same way ... I still went over every tee shot on this course in my head daily for the last week or so.  I would never do something like that for a typical casual round.  Same thing with the "day of" prep.  Arrive earlier than usual, warm up more than usual.  Push those expectations through the roof, and its really hard not to get disappointed and frustrated when a few things start to go awry.  Which they, almost inevitably, will.

These tournaments are all learning experiences.  Take something from it, get better, and keep plugging along.

ya i need to just think that they are learning experiences. its not for $1,000,000 haha

It may be nerves and it sounds like your putting more pressure on yourself than your ready to handle (on the golf course that is). One thing I used to do and you can do is start putting pressure on yourself during casual rounds so your more used to it, one kind of silly way is before the round set a goal and if you make it do something for yourself or buy something you may want that way you have something riding on it.

that easy to do now. i'll try that cuz my buddy is a 7 handicap and we compete a lot, usually as teams with his buddies who are about as good if not a little better than me. i'll try to put the pressure on and see whats up with that. thank you

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

That's great, but one word of advice based on my struggle.... wait for it.... "can't wait" :-D  is not a good thing.  You build it up, are all excited, play [SIZE=13px]the course in your head so many times in advance etc etc[/SIZE] That, in my opinion, is a big part of the problem...over excitement, expectations etc.  You rarely  do all this for casual rounds I guess?  As I said before, it took me ages to learn this, and maybe personal experience is the only learning tool!  But if you can, try to approach it like a casual round.  I'm guessing you were at the course way earlier than usual?  Hit far more balls at the range than you would before a casual round?  I used to get there over an hour before my round, I found that was way too early... 30-40 mins gets me were I need to be, anything more and the demons can appear :cry:   Less stress, more success. Check out a free app on iOS called "The Mind Factor" by Karl Morris, it's free (he did some mental coaching with GMac)

Yes anticpation can be a game killer. I do it to myself alll the time. Without fail it is the days when I over prepare that I stink it up. If I go to bed early and strat thinking about how it will play out it pretty much assures bad golf. Funny thing is every time I broke 80 or put up a low for me 9 hole score it is usually with a hangover.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!