IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah I think a good but ambitious goal for Kyle to shoot for is 6 greens, and no penalty strokes or 3 putts.

I don't think it's too ambitious to aim for no penalty strokes.  Penalty strokes aren't always about eliminating bad swings, they are sometimes about acknowledging your ability to make that bad swing in a specific situation and using a club and/or aiming point that won't allow that bad swing to result in a penalty stroke.

Sometimes that means hitting an iron off the tee and aiming away from the hazard (even if that means aiming off the green) on an approach shot.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I don't think it's too ambitious to aim for no penalty strokes.  Penalty strokes aren't always about eliminating bad swings, they are sometimes about acknowledging your ability to make that bad swing in a specific situation and using a club and/or aiming point that won't allow that bad swing to result in a penalty stroke.

Sometimes that means hitting an iron off the tee and aiming away from the hazard (even if that means aiming off the green) on an approach shot.

I agree.  I was just saying that expecting to hit all of those goals in one round may be ambitious right now.  Like you are saying, in managing certain parts parts of the game and course it can be done more easily and that is important to understand.   I am just saying that if the goals are 6 greens, no 3 putts, penalty strokes, or triples, at this point hitting two of those goals in a round may be a victory.  Then start you start aiming for three out of four and then all four goals.

Nate

:tmade:(10.5) :pxg:(5W/7W) MIURA(3-PW) :mizuno:(50/54/60) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree.  I was just saying that expecting to hit all of those goals in one round may be ambitious right now.  Like you are saying, in managing certain parts parts of the game and course it can be done more easily and that is important to understand.   I am just saying that if the goals are 6 greens, no 3 putts, penalty strokes, or triples, at this point hitting two of those goals in a round may be a victory.  Then start you start aiming for three out of four and then all four goals.

I never thought it made much sense to set specific goals like that for a round.  Because when you just say "I want to hit "x" amount of greens, have "x" amount of putts, and have less than "x" amount of penalty strokes," you're not really setting goals, but rather you're just making a prediction.  What does any of that gain you?

I think Brandon is on the right track here:

Penalty strokes aren't always about eliminating bad swings, they are sometimes about acknowledging your ability to make that bad swing in a specific situation and using a club and/or aiming point that won't allow that bad swing to result in a penalty stroke.

For example, here is what Kyle's current goals are: "to hit 7 fairways, 5 greens, less than 34 putts, max 1 penalty stroke." Here's how I would revise this into an actual "game plan" to make those goals acheivable:

Goal 1 (hit fairways):  Play smart off the tee.  Hit a lot of 3-woods and 4-irons whenever the fairway is tight.

Goal 2 (5 greens): This one is really simple. ;)

Goal 3 (<34 putts):  whenever I am inside of 80 yards, I am still not going to aim at the flag, but rather a point 5-10 feet downhill from the flag, such that I'm leaving myself as many straight uphill putts as possible.  If the greens are slick and tricky, I'd sometimes be better off putting straight uphill from 25 feet, than 60* down a 3% slope from 10 feet.

Goal 4 (penalty shots):  The strategy for goal 1 already takes care of this off the tee, and for approach shots, I'd amend my goal of aiming for the center of the green to aim for the far side of the green from the hazard on holes that have one near the green.

That's how I look at it at least.

• Upvote 1

I'd take it a step further and google earth the course or use an app or skycaddie type device. Point out which 6 fairways you expect to hit given your shot shape/distance/club selection and why you expect to hit those fairways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher

I never thought it made much sense to set specific goals like that for a round.  Because when you just say "I want to hit "x" amount of greens, have "x" amount of putts, and have less than "x" amount of penalty strokes," you're not really setting goals, but rather you're just making a prediction.  What does any of that gain you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Penalty strokes aren't always about eliminating bad swings, they are sometimes about acknowledging your ability to make that bad swing in a specific situation and using a club and/or aiming point that won't allow that bad swing to result in a penalty stroke.

For example, here is what Kyle's current goals are: "to hit 7 fairways, 5 greens, less than 34 putts, max 1 penalty stroke."  Here's how I would revise this into an actual "game plan" to make those goals acheivable:

Goal 1 (hit fairways):  Play smart off the tee.  Hit a lot of 3-woods and 4-irons whenever the fairway is tight.

Goal 2 (5 greens):  This one is really simple. ;)

Goal 3 (<34 putts):  whenever I am inside of 80 yards, I am still not going to aim at the flag, but rather a point 5-10 feet downhill from the flag, such that I'm leaving myself as many straight uphill putts as possible.  If the greens are slick and tricky, I'd sometimes be better off putting straight uphill from 25 feet, than 60* down a 3% slope from 10 feet.

Goal 4 (penalty shots):  The strategy for goal 1 already takes care of this off the tee, and for approach shots, I'd amend my goal of aiming for the center of the green to aim for the far side of the green from the hazard on holes that have one near the green.

This sounds like a good strategy.

Makes me wish I could play and use last year's averages or my last 3 rounds as a barometer to use when establishing goals.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

My only goal is best score possible. I think about in strokes over per side depending on the course. Usually comes down to playing smart in any given situation. For me stats are only good to look back and identify problems, particularly on holes where the score is double or worse. How many GIR and FIR I hit could have little to no impact on how I score. An example is almost all my 3 putts are after GIR, just like the majority of 1 putts are after missing GIR. I'd rather be putting from the fringe inside 10' from the hole than from 50' across the green. And that ball that is on the fringe usually hit the green first so mission accomplished IMO.

Dave :-)

Point taken.  If the focus is too broad it can be hard to show progress and be successful.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

For example, here is what Kyle's current goals are: "to hit 7 fairways, 5 greens, less than 34 putts, max 1 penalty stroke."  Here's how I would revise this into an actual "game plan" to make those goals acheivable:

Goal 2 (5 greens):  This one is really simple. ;)

Great stuff.  Call it short term goals or a prediction, it does not matter much to me.  I still think they can be called goals as well.  The round by round goals/predictions are just an extension of your overall goals.  They can show trends and mistakes you might be making that you would not be able to see for a while when looking at the overall picture.  For example.  Last year I struggled a bit early with GIR and then it slowly got better over the year, but where was I trending in the short term with each change?  What were the changes I was making really doing? Well, the first month of the year I hit 40% greens and the last two months I average 52% and 53%.  Much better than my season average of 49%.  If I did not have that perspective my goal for the year might be just 53%.  That is where looking at a few more recent rounds may come in handy as well.  What happened today that caused these mistakes?  Did I deviate from my game plan?  I love the game plan, as long as you have the perspective and goals to go with it.  I think you hit the critical piece, in that you have the game plan with the specific goals.  I did not mean to assume the game plan was already in place.

Nate

:tmade:(10.5) :pxg:(5W/7W) MIURA(3-PW) :mizuno:(50/54/60) 

ok well today was a pretty good day i shot a 38-46 84. i was happy about things for the most part 13 putts on the front 9 30 over all. i had one 3 putt, but it was hole 11 if anyone has played there and the pin was right where the green breaks STEEPLY to the front. my putt lipped out (barely got it to the hole) and it rolled 20' down to rest against the fringe. so i hit 7 fairways, 5 greens, 30 putts, and no penalty strokes. played from the black tees as well because the gold and other one back aren't open =/

ok and i read above about strategy and what to hit off the tee and to aim smart. heres how i play my rounds. i tee off with 3 wood almost 75% of the time. if its a par 4 375-425, par 5 over 530 i use my 3 wood to tee off. if its under 375 i use my 3 or 4 iron depending on where i want to land it. the only time i pull my driver is a reachable par 5 <530 or a par 4 above 425. as far as my approach shots. i to admit i go hunting for the pin and sometimes it really bites me in the butt. i have started aiming more center though like right pin tucked behind a bunker i'll aim left and it'll usually fade to center.

ok now here is a big problem that has just started happening. my divots are usually aimed 10-15 yards left of my target, now they are like 45* left of my target. I'm so happy to be meeting with mike and dana a week from tomorrow. but i think my coming over the top way more than usual is really why my consistency is so off like it is

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

Kyle, trust me, Mike and Dana will get you started on the right path, good guys to have for teachers. Have fun!

O.K. Mike...no pressure here..lol

ok well today was a pretty good day i shot a 38-46 84. i was happy about things for the most part 13 putts on the front 9 30 over all. i had one 3 putt, but it was hole 11 if anyone has played there and the pin was right where the green breaks STEEPLY to the front. my putt lipped out (barely got it to the hole) and it rolled 20' down to rest against the fringe. so i hit 7 fairways, 5 greens, 30 putts, and no penalty strokes. played from the black tees as well because the gold and other one back aren't open =/

See just booking your lesson has already helped ;-)

ok now here is a big problem that has just started happening. my divots are usually aimed 10-15 yards left of my target, now they are like 45* left of my target. I'm so happy to be meeting with mike and dana a week from tomorrow. but i think my coming over the top way more than usual is really why my consistency is so off like it is

Yeah divots don't really tell you the whole story but you don't want them that far left. Just that same issue, shaft too steep on the downswing. We'll get that cleaned up. Just going to take a lot of slow practice swings to make it stick.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

See just booking your lesson has already helped

Yeah divots don't really tell you the whole story but you don't want them that far left. Just that same issue, shaft too steep on the downswing. We'll get that cleaned up. Just going to take a lot of slow practice swings to make it stick.

yes sir i can't wait

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

well looks like I'm playing a round tuesday at oak valley. should be fun. going to work solely on course management and play smart golf. i need to work on not flag hunting and getting overly aggressive. so i'll post stats and let everyone know how i played

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

well looks like I'm playing a round tuesday at oak valley. should be fun. going to work solely on course management and play smart golf. i need to work on not flag hunting and getting overly aggressive. so i'll post stats and let everyone know how i played

I'm sure you've seen it but I'll post it anyway

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm sure you've seen it but I'll post it anyway

thank you i'll go check that out now

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

too windy in beaumont to play. i'll be playing diamond valley today. i will play according to how the post mentioned above says. hopefully i will hit more greens

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Note: This thread is 3788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!