IGNORED

What's happening in Abu Dhabi?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rory won't be challenging as much as expected.

He has just been given a post round 2 stroke penalty.

His foot was on a path after having taken relief from it. Foot fault as his fiancée might say :)

How long before Chamblee calls him a cheater and blames in on Tiger's influence?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
How long before Chamblee calls him a cheater and blames in on Tiger's influence?

You beat me to it. :P

Rory, already "cavalier" with the rules in 2014.

F

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/71964/whats-happening-in-abu-dhabi/18#post_940796 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED] [QUOTE name="turtleback" url="/t/71964/whats-happening-in-abu-dhabi/36#post_940818"]   How long before Chamblee calls him a cheater and blames in on Tiger's influence? [/QUOTE] You beat me to it. :P Rory, already "cavalier" with the rules in 2014. [SIZE=24px][S]100[/S][/SIZE] [SIZE=24px]F[/SIZE]

Yeah why don't we have a thread dedicated to how much of a cheater Rory is? Where's @birlyshirly and the others?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Yeah why don't we have a thread dedicated to how much of a cheater Rory is? Where's @birlyshirly and the others?

I think it's only reserved for conspiracies.  Did Rory sign for an incorrect score and then get assessed the penalty afterwards?  If so, I'm ready to start the thread!  Let's take him down!!!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Phil double strikes ball from under bush  while playing right handed with 4i. Two stroke penalty. Loses tourney by 2.  Same as Rory. Is  Phil a cheater?

Hi Joe,

Didn't see it, but if he double hit his ball it's  1 Penalty Stroke.

14-4 . Striking the Ball More Than Once

If a player’s club strikes the ball more than once in the course of a stroke , the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke , making two strokes in all.

Regards,

John

The winner is...Larrazabal of Spain pipping Rory and Phil by one stroke.

He sure did... At odds of 100/1, I know because my friend had him backed. He also had a double bet on Larrazabal and Ryan Palmer which he placed before both tournaments started.

Seems it was another player's caddie who drew the tournament referee's attention to McIlroy's transgression:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/20/caddie-rory-mcilroy-rules-abu-dhabi

Quote:

Dave Renwick was caddying for one of McIlroy's playing partners, Ricardo González, when he spotted an infringement on the 2nd hole on Saturday. McIlroy had taken a drop from a spectator walkway but had one foot still standing on that area when he played his next shot; which is not permitted under the rules of golf.

Renwick waited until after his group had putted out on the 18th before informing McIlroy of his concerns, so as not to disrupt the two-time major winner's round. After a review with the tournament referee, John Paramor, a furious McIlroy was penalised two strokes and a third round 68 turned into a 70 .

This is different, I imagine, to people's objections to spectators (or TV viewers) complaining about players' rules infractions, given that the caddie is there in a professional capacity (albeit for another player)? Or should this caddie just have kept his nose out and his mouth shut (other than telling his own player at the time, perhaps)?

Seems it was another player's caddie who drew the tournament referee's attention to McIlroy's transgression:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/20/caddie-rory-mcilroy-rules-abu-dhabi

This is different, I imagine, to people's objections to spectators (or TV viewers) complaining about players' rules infractions, given that the caddie is there in a professional capacity (albeit for another player)? Or should this caddie just have kept his nose out and his mouth shut (other than telling his own player at the time, perhaps)?

Playing competitors (including their caddies) have an obligation to keep their playing partners aware of the rules and any rules violations.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The winner is...Larrazabal of Spain pipping Rory and Phil by one stroke.

Seriously congrats to Larrazabal, but how fun would a playoff between Rory and Phil have been?

Answer: Too....much....fun

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Phil double strikes ball from under bush  while playing right handed with 4i. Two stroke penalty. Loses tourney by 2.  Same as Rory. Is  Phil a cheater?

No, in his own words, he's an idiot. Not much different from what he did a couple of years ago at the Masters.

Still, he fought back and almost won the thing yesterday.

Bill M

No, in his own words, he's an idiot. Not much different from what he did a couple of years ago at the Masters.

For anyone that didn't get a chance to see it.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

No, in his own words, he's an idiot. Not much different from what he did a couple of years ago at the Masters.

Originally Posted by Crim

For anyone that didn't get a chance to see it.

When I first saw it yesterday, I didn't realize that he double hit it. I thought the ball hit a branch.

Bill M

Quote:
Playing competitors (including their caddies) have an obligation to keep their playing partners aware of the rules and any rules violations.

I agree with you.

Seems to be some consternation about this amongst the caddie's peers, however - mostly in terms of timing, though.

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jan/19/rory-mcilroy-penalty-abu-dhabi-golf-caddie-react/

Quote:

LA QUINTA, Calif. – Rory McIlroy’s two-shot rules gaffe in the third round at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship eventually cost the Ulsterman the title Sunday, losing by a shot to Spain’s Pablo Larrazabal.

The unusual nature of what happened in the desert – veteran caddie Dave Renwick, while working for Ricardo Gonzalez, calling a rules violation on McIlroy after the round – resonated with players and caddies at the PGA Tour's Humana Challenge. Many ultimately wondered whether the caddie should have been involved in the issue at all.

Renwick witnessed McIlroy taking relief from a spectator’s walkway on the second hole, but after his drop, McIlroy’s left foot was still in the walkway, thus not taking full relief under Rule 25-1 ("Abnormal Ground Conditions"). Renwick approached the two-time major winner after he putted out on the 18th hole and told him what he saw.

“If I would have saw him do something wrong, I would have said it immediately, or at least told my player,” veteran caddie Brian Smith said. “I try to stay out of all that stuff. Let the officials deal with that. Let the players deal with that.”

A 22-year veteran, Smith caddies for Harris English and has worked for Justin Leonard, Sean O’Hair and Brad Faxon as well.

Smith is old-school like Renwick but believes a caddie should be involved with his own player – only getting involved with the other player in limited circumstances.

“I wouldn't say it was right for Dave to say it when he said it,” Smith said. “I would have no problem with him saying it at that moment or bringing it to their attention, at least.”

According to reports out of Abu Dhabi, Renwick was 30 yards away from the drop and couldn’t shout quickly enough before McIlroy hit his shot.

Presuming those reports are accurate, should Renwick have gotten involved after the fact?

Jay Haas Jr. has played professional golf and is a caddie for his brother Bill. Haas Jr. agrees that Renwick has the right to say something at the time of the incident to try and stop a violation – or at the very least tell his player so he can step in.

“I wouldn't wait until the 18th hole, and if I waited until the 18th hole, I don't know that I would say anything at that point,” Haas Jr. said.

Damon Green, who caddies for Zach Johnson, has played professionally off and on, including on the Champions Tour. Like Smith, Green is a veteran caddie and was on Scott Hoch’s bag for many years.

“I'd have to tell my player probably and let him deal with it right at the moment,” Green said. “I don't think it's our job to get involved in the rules, really.”

Green’s position as a player is similar; he would want the caddie to come to him and not his playing competitor.

“I'd be upset with him,” Green said. “But is it worth a firing offense or anything? I don't think so, unless you spelled it out beforehand. That's a very weird situation.”

Jerry Kelly thinks that Renwick’s longevity gives him the right to step in and say whether a drop had been improper, but he wonders about the timing.

“Waiting until the 18th really sucks,” Kelly said. “But if you see something, you say it then or maybe you don't say it – if you don't have the (guts) to say it right away and help the person out, then it's – it's almost more detrimental. I don't know. But Davey thought he was doing the right thing by saying something; just said it at the wrong time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny View Post

I agree with you.

Seems to be some consternation about this amongst the caddie's peers, however - mostly in terms of timing, though.

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jan/19/rory-mcilroy-penalty-abu-dhabi-golf-caddie-react/

That's fascinating, but it's only an issue in my book if this is not true:

Quote:
According to reports out of Abu Dhabi, Renwick was 30 yards away from the drop and couldn’t shout quickly enough before McIlroy hit his shot.

Assuming that is true - that he didn't have enough time to stop him from hitting the shot - then Rory is getting the 2-shot penalty regardless of whether or not he tells him at that moment or any time thereafter, right?

But if he could have stopped him from hitting the shot and chose not to ... then that is uncool.

Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!