IGNORED

Big Break Florida (2014) Thread

Tailgater
Note: This thread is 3220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree with most of you, this is some atrocious golf for some people that are aspiring tour pro's.

I think GC should do something that would get their viewership way more involved. Have a show like BB but instead of professionals, have hacks like us on their in a "golf bootcamp" and play off for an awesome golf grand prize. Hell, maybe it would get someone who is a perennial low single digit handicapper the help they need to try to move on.

What do you guys think?

I agree with most of you, this is some atrocious golf for some people that are aspiring tour pro's.

I think GC should do something that would get their viewership way more involved. Have a show like BB but instead of professionals, have hacks like us on their in a "golf bootcamp" and play off for an awesome golf grand prize. Hell, maybe it would get someone who is a perennial low single digit handicapper the help they need to try to move on.

What do you guys think?

I like it!  I think far more people could relate to it as well, since it would theoretically be average joe golfers..    Maybe make the grand prize a new set of fitted clubs and a week at one of the resorts they are now using for shows like BB or one of the PGA tourney venues.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

While I do find this quite funny, I'll agree to disagree on the ugliness of these girls.  They're no models, but they're (several of them) quite cute as normal girls.

If you put them on TV or the LPGA tour, sure, they don't particularly stand out.  But if you see them on the range, you're still doing double takes.

(It reminds me of the one cute girl in my engineering school.  She may have been a 6 or 7 in a room full of Delta Delta Delta's, but in a room full of smelly, computer nerd males, she wsa a freaking 11!!) :-P

spot on.  (Double take......Erik nailed it, take a fit woman (already a good thing and rare enough in this game) and put here in a nice athletic outfit and she already up two points - I'd hesitate to say 'golf' outfits are nice, but tennis ones are pretty decent.  The 'fit' part is what does it)

This episode, they seemed to have lost their regular makeup tech for the interviews and accidentally employed a clown to do the job.

However, it seems they are taking the cutest girl each week and sending her home.  Pretty soon, there won't be anything to watch.  Certainly not the golf here.  Too bad, the first day there was some really nice approach shots and I was hoping they had a better skill set than lately.

Ok - that post is about all the sexist guff I can provide at this point.

Quote:

I read it as there are a lot of mini-tours out there and people that 'think' they can make it who are fooling themselves and their families into bankruptcy.  They are being taken advantage of, frankly.  It's very clear that there are the top few tours in the world (the big league), and a handful of other serious ones (the minors) and the rest just as well be the local leagues full of wannabes.

It's maybe two seasons I've seen so far where the 'real thing' is in the cast (like Two Gloves) and the rest of the cast knew it right away.  So at least these 'pros' know where they really are despite the dialogue in the shows.

Bill - 

I like it!  I think far more people could relate to it as well, since it would theoretically be average joe golfers..    Maybe make the grand prize a new set of fitted clubs and a week at one of the resorts they are now using for shows like BB or one of the PGA tourney venues.

Exactly!! Golfers like us could really use a 2K shopping spree to Dicks or a spot on a Pro-Am day at ANY PGA event. Hell, to make a twist at the end it could go something like this:

Great job (winner) you have won the average joe golf show! Now, you are able to enjoy your 2,000 dollar shopping spree at Dicks, a full week all expenses paid golf vacation in the Carolina's and a (sponsor) staff bag with full club fitting! But, wait, you have a choice to make! You can keep the great prizes we just listed or....... you can have a spot to play in the pro-am at next years Master's!!!

Ummm... I will pick the pro-am spot, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I would  watch a game show with hacks getting paid to hit increasingly tougher shots with corresponding increased dollar amounts. Kind of like "Who wants to be a Millionaire"...

+1, I'd love to see a bunch of hacks like myself out there. The golf would be BRUTAL but the show could be entertaining if you had the right cast.

Hmmm ... Perhaps as a one-off just to take a break from the monotony of the series as it is, and to help keep it from getting stale-r ... I think this is a genius idea.  Pick a number 15, 20, even 25, and try to get 12 "real" golfers at that handicap (hopefully no sandbaggers) and have them go through all of the same stuff they already do.  They couldn't possibly do much worse at the flop wall than the girls last night! :beer:

Get creative.  The winners of the immunity challenges get similar cash or shopping spree prizes but the one who survives the elimination challenge (theoritically the worst golfer left, though certainly not always) gets an hour on the range that evening with Breed or Hall.

I watch because I think Lauren and Renee are hot. I do like Kaylee the most tho, but I see the crown going to Sadena or Jackie (Deservedly so)

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I'm just about the opposite. If I want to look at girls I'll drive down to the beach. They not only look a lot better but they are wearing a lot less.

Tired off less, some clothes keeps the exitement :)

Looks wise, this is just about the worst Big Break ever. Of the remaining players, only Renee and Fiamma look remotely decent. On the other hand, Mary, Kristi, Sadena, and Tonya are especially ugly. More ugly golfers than decent looking ones=not a good formula for viewers, especially coupled with the bad play. (though the bad play isn't reallly anything new and I still think overall the play is still a bit better than Atlantis. But out of 12 golfers here there are like 3 hot ones and 5 ugly ones compared to Atlantis where of the 12 5-6 were hot and only around 2 were ugly.

Looks wise, this is just about the worst Big Break ever. Of the remaining players, only Renee and Fiamma look remotely decent. On the other hand, Mary, Kristi, Sadena, and Tonya are especially ugly. More ugly golfers than decent looking ones=not a good formula for viewers, especially coupled with the bad play. (though the bad play isn't reallly anything new and I still think overall the play is still a bit better than Atlantis. But out of 12 golfers here there are like 3 hot ones and 5 ugly ones compared to Atlantis where of the 12 5-6 were hot and only around 2 were ugly.

Cool story bro.

• Upvote 1

I just watched this weeks episode.  A few thoughts

• I thought it was interesting Mary took the easy shot on the flop wall, she comes off cocky but doesn't back it up when it counts.  Sadena and Tonya had no problem with taking the toughest shot
  • Seems there's a click and Tonya is not in it.  There was much more support for the other girls in the elimination challenge and a lot of crickets for Tonya.
  • I thought it would have been smart to pick Jackie, she looked off her game today and could have been a chance to get rid of a tough competitor.
  • The new female announcer looked very nice in her tight white sweater - token sexist comment
  • Mary is a ticking time bomb, she will blow up at some point.  I'd guess Jackie and Sadena make it to the end.
  • Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

I just wonder if girls see themselves crying on the show and say to themselves....wtf I look stupid for crying about this...

mark my words Kristi is out the door next...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

At least 3 of the girls desperately needed to read Erik's quickie pitching thread, because that flop wall display was pathetic.

While I do find this quite funny, I'll agree to disagree on the ugliness of these girls.  They're no models, but they're (several of them) quite cute as normal girls.

If you put them on TV or the LPGA tour, sure, they don't particularly stand out.  But if you see them on the range, you're still doing double takes.

(It reminds me of the one cute girl in my engineering school.  She may have been a 6 or 7 in a room full of Delta Delta Delta's, but in a room full of smelly, computer nerd males, she wsa a freaking 11!!)

You should have seen the reaction when they hired the first woman (that never looked good) at a couple of different coal mines where I worked. :doh:

When there are 500 men and one woman I guess that woman always looks good to most of the guys. One day I walked by the control room where two people usually are and there were about 50 people in there. I wondered what in the heck was going on until I spotted the new woman they had just hired. Not one of those guys would have given that woman a second look on the street.

On The Big Break contestants should know almost exactly what to work on before even leaving home. They know they are going to break glass, hit flop shots, work the ball around a wall, lots of greenside shots, putting, and have some long accurate tee shot competitions.

These girls either didn't practice any of the above or they are so bad that the practice did them no good.

I just watched this weeks episode.  A few thoughts

I thought it was interesting Mary took the easy shot on the flop wall, she comes off cocky but doesn't back it up when it counts.  Sadena and Tonya had no problem with taking the toughest shot

I think you're entire post is spot on.  Totally agree with this as well ... although I would have been fine with her taking the second shot and allowing Jackie to hit over the high wall.  But going first???  (That leads right into your final point below)

I thought it would have been smart to pick Jackie, she looked off her game today and could have been a chance to get rid of a tough competitor.

Strategically, this is actually a great idea.  But the two other players would have to be thinking confidently and playing to win ... as in "I know I'm going to be there at the end and that means I'm going to have to beat Jackie at some point ... so why not do it now when she's struggling."  But they don't.  They're playing the (not necessarily totally wrong) 'one day at a time, smart, safe, survive and advance' game.  Speaking of that:  I still think Sadena is making mistakes every time she doesn't take the money now.  She doesn't even need immunity, she only needs to not finish in last, because nobody is going to ever pick her (at this point) for an elimination challenge.

Mary is a ticking time bomb, she will blow up at some point.  I'd guess Jackie and Sadena make it to the end.

Yeah, I can see this.  I also agree with the poster a few pages back (might also be you) who said that she doesn't have nearly the confidence in her game that she portrays - as evidenced by taking the "easy" shot on the flop walls.  Once she starts really struggling, I think she's going to be totally done.  I could honestly see her leaving on any episode, because I agree that she seems likely to implode on of these days.

I think you're entire post is spot on.  Totally agree with this as well ... although I would have been fine with her taking the second shot and allowing Jackie to hit over the high wall.  But going first???  (That leads right into your final point below)

Strategically, this is actually a great idea.  But the two other players would have to be thinking confidently and playing to win ... as in "I know I'm going to be there at the end and that means I'm going to have to beat Jackie at some point ... so why not do it now when she's struggling."  But they don't.  They're playing the (not necessarily totally wrong) 'one day at a time, smart, safe, survive and advance' game.  Speaking of that:  I still think Sadena is making mistakes every time she doesn't take the money now.  She doesn't even need immunity, she only needs to not finish in last, because nobody is going to ever pick her (at this point) for an elimination challenge.

Yeah, I can see this.  I also agree with the poster a few pages back (might also be you) who said that she doesn't have nearly the confidence in her game that she portrays - as evidenced by taking the "easy" shot on the flop walls.  Once she starts really struggling, I think she's going to be totally done.  I could honestly see her leaving on any episode, because I agree that she seems likely to implode on of these days.

I see Mary playing a strong social game, which is a bit of a new element Big Breakers are stealing from other reality shows  Mary seems to know Jackie from the tour, and she's sticking really close to Sadena to avoid getting called out by either one of them.  I get the sense that Tonya is a bit of a social outcast so while she may be the 4th strongest golfer in the house, she's being isolated and Mary likely doesn't see her as a big threat.

I agree, I'm not sure why Sadena isn't taking the money.  She could have put at least $20K more in her pocket with minimal risk since everyone is scared of her.

If the show is really based on skills, Sadena, Jackie and Tonya will be the final three, but the producers know all of their strengths and weaknesses so there are ways to manipulate things so it doesn't end up like that.

Joe Paradiso

I agree, I'm not sure why Sadena isn't taking the money.  She could have put at least $20K more in her pocket with minimal risk since everyone is scared of her.

If the show is really based on skills, Sadena, Jackie and Tonya will be the final three, but the producers know all of their strengths and weaknesses so there are ways to manipulate things so it doesn't end up like that.

Towards both of these points.  I really wish that Sadena had taken the money this time around because the producers would have had to restructure the second immunity challenge.  If you remember, they competed only against their team, and had she taken the money, she would have been the only member of her team in the challenge, so it made me curious how they would have done it differently.

Towards both of these points.  I really wish that Sadena had taken the money this time around because the producers would have had to restructure the second immunity challenge.  If you remember, they competed only against their team, and had she taken the money, she would have been the only member of her team in the challenge, so it made me curious how they would have done it differently.

I too was wondering what they would've done had Sadena or another girl had taken the money.  And I also think she's playing too safe.  The other girls are obviously intimidated by her.   At least she's staying humble and focused.  Some of the dudes in previous big break seasons have egos way too big for their shoes.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I have to agree with you guys, Sadena is playing way too safe considering the skill and mental advantage she has on this show. If she was to pocket every win, she might make 50k win or lose by the time the show is over. I wouldn't want to end up empty handed in 2nd and regret not stashing cash all the way though.

Note: This thread is 3220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!