IGNORED

Sore and frustrated!!!

Hey Joe
Note:Β This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

As I rapidly close in on my first year and goal to be in the 80's, I have hit a wall. I am taking lessons, practicing with purpose, but I am plagued by the most annoying situation. There are days, both on the range and in live play, where I hit well, sometimes very well. Then I seem to completely forget how to hit a golf ball. My pro has made some changes in my posture and address, but I can't seem to maintain a consistent approach. I never know who is showing up at the begining of a round or practice!!! Signed, Stuck in the low 90's

If you've been only playing for a year so far, don't get frustrated that you are not in 80's yet.Β  Many people work their whole lives to get into 80's and its not that easy to do.

As for your swing, and not knowing what to expect, the best in the game like to say that you should hit balls before you play, and see what is working that day.

Since you are taking lessons, there should be something that you are currently working on, something that when not done, you will mess up.Β  For example, I come over the top, so I'm trying to slow down my transition and make sure my lower body goes first on the downswing.Β  BUT, when I hit a shot or two, when I start practice, and it is really really bad, I got back to my basics.Β  I check my grip, posture and things that I have learned in previous lessons, just to make sure I am doing everything that I've learned already.Β  So for example, i'll check if I'm making a good turn going back etc.

Going back to basics usually helps for me, hopefully you can use that to help you. :)

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

I really try to self diagnose when things aren't going well. I think one of the biggest problems is, when I am hitting well...not completely sure what I am doing right. When I am hitting poorly...not sure what I am doing wrong. It is the subtleness of the game that I love and drive me crazy!!!

I really try to self diagnose when things aren't going well. I think one of the biggest problems is, when I am hitting well...not completely sure what I am doing right. When I am hitting poorly...not sure what I am doing wrong. It is the subtleness of the game that I love and drive me crazy!!!

Hmm I've been taking lessons for about two years, which has given me understanding what happens during my swing. Keep working on it with an instructor, that's all I can tell you. Try not to be frustrated, remember it's about the journey.... :)

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

Hey Joe,

Don't get down everyone has there days theΒ driver works and putter does not or nothing works but at the range prior to the round everything is working. Welcome to the great gameΒ of golf!

My son is in a slump right now too, he can not hit the ball to save his life. His HS team starts playing March 4th he is a wreck every night after practice. Being in this state of mind makes it worse after all golf is hard and is also so much a mindΒ game.

Just keep grinding it will come, but also have fun even on the bad days. Hard to do but you can do it just keep at it and remember it will be all the sweeter when you have that great round or even that one great shot.

Mike M.

IronsΒ G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome,Β 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

First of all, getting to a handicap of 22 in your first year of golf is pretty amazing.

The game is very frustrating, and I have spent a good deal of money on lessons from a variety of instructors and coaches. Luckily, I found instructors that work for me now ( @mvmac , Dana and pretty much every reputable poster on this site and last but not least @iacas )

I think it's just a matter of finding a combination of instruction that works for you. I'm not going to put in a plug for 5SK, but try at least the first two keys.

Start a MySwing thread and there will be plenty of people who can help you improve, and the site moderators will prevent any bad information.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First of all, getting to a handicap of 22 in your first year of golf is pretty amazing.

The game is very frustrating, and I have spent a good deal of money on lessons from a variety of instructors and coaches. Luckily, I found instructors that work for me now (@mvmac, Dana and pretty much every reputable poster on this site and last but not least @iacas)

I think it's just a matter of finding a combination of instruction that works for you. I'm not going to put in a plug for 5SK, but try at least the first two keys.

Start a MySwing thread and there will be plenty of people who can help you improve, and the site moderators will prevent any bad information.

Lihu well said!

Mike M.

IronsΒ G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome,Β 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Also some perspective:

I also started playing golf this past year. Β I haven't come close to 100 yet.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, β€œexcept golfers."Β 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

@Hey Joe It's only your first year be patient, I have played 30+ years and just this past Friday had the lowest front 9 ever on a pretty tough course and it was totally unexpected. I wound up working a 15 1/2 hour shift the day before just busting my ass in two aligning a motor to a cooling tower fan till 10:30 that night, got home a little after 11:00 didn't get really to sleep until 1:00, woke up at 6:00 sore as hell and beat tired but I already committed to go otherwise I would have cancelled if I didn't do it the week before. So 8:00 am starting time I tried loosening up some but was so damn stiff plus it was chilly that morning wearing shorts in 50 degrees will do that. I wound up shooting 34 that first nine 2 under with 4 birdies just out of nowhere.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3Β  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tourΒ Β 14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Im on my 8th yr and still struggle. Be patient and don't get frustrated. It will come around. My best round yet is an 86.

Ping G25 Black Dot Irons

Ping G25 4 Wood 16*

Titleist 925i

Ben Hogan Putter

Ben Hogan 58* Wedge

"Cant Beat The Foot Joys"

For me, the harder I tried and the more I thought, the worse I did. The brain can play havoc when you're golfing.Β Think less, have fun, keep at it, enjoy being on the course, and the scores will come.

Will W

I'm going on my 22nd year since I started golfing...granted i have only returned to serious golf for the last 2 years. Which is more than 40 rounds for me. "Did you remember to turn off the Coffee-maker when you left the house?" " I think that stray cat in your backyard has rabies..." ..."Dolly called...She has Trichinosis...I Knew she should'nt have eaten that wild boar....blah dee blah dee blah"..."Hey how about a free...10 year warranty on your new moped!!, just answer this 2 minute survey".... TEXT: will U get milk...& sum eggs.XOOXOOX

Getting up and down in the game of golf should be just that. There are so many distractions today...where is your mind? Are you thinking about problems that you have? or focused on the game. I had to learn long ago...to focus on the task. and if you carry a live cell/smartphone on the course you should just go home. When I was going Β through divorce I just quit golf for 2 years...ain't a lifetime just 2 years. I just could not focus. It was not worth the while.

Now I have to turn off the cell phone to get peace and focus. I have great games when my mind is clear and focused at having a fun & great game. I have found when I forget to turn off the phone and get a call...my game goes down. You could also have those other nagging mind thoughts like a house closing or Jimmy's graduation. If they cause stress and you cannot leave them then..don't golf..maybe hit the driving range and de-stress.

Golf is a physical and mental game, both have to be in order to make it work.

"I just got a call from Betty and her son's Pit-bull Rocco is rubbing his ass against a tree"

envision that every time you putt....

Hey Joe....I onceΒ hit a wall for 10 years!!!Β Β Β  Think about that.........

Yes, I finally did smash through in a crazy freaking way, but I was stuck against the wall for a decade with no improvement.Β  Being stuck for a couple years is nothing.....with all due respect. LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Also some perspective: I also started playing golf this past year. Β I haven't come close to 100 yet.

I started really playing last year, too, and played about 35 rounds before I broke 100. Good luck and I hope it happens for you soon.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

I started really playing last year, too, and played about 35 rounds before I broke 100.

Good luck and I hope it happens for you soon.

Thanks. Β I'm chomping at the bit to get out and start playing this Spring.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, β€œexcept golfers."Β 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note:Β This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!