IGNORED

When To Regrip?

Note: This thread is 3678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had my irons for about 5 years now and still have the original factory grips on them. I golf a good amount I'd say, about 15-20 rounds a year, mostly in the summer. Recently a friend of mine at the local pro shop told me that grips should be replaced every 20 rounds. Personally, this seems like a short amount of time (but what do I know haha).

What do you guys think, how often should I be regripping?

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

If new grips were free and instant, yeah, every 20 rounds would sound about right. Maybe. However, at five years and 75-100 rounds, I'll bet it'll help.
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you ever go to the range to hit balls..? Gotta count that in too. I would regrip  them at least once every couple of years. Not that expensive to do, considering.

• Upvote 1

I regrip when it doesn't feel as tacky. The clubs I use to practice a lot - 6 iron, sand wedge, they get changed more often. When is different for everyone. Some sweat more than others. Some don't use a glove. Some grips last longer than others. I typically change once a season minimal. If you check Rockbottom, you can get grips at a better price if you grip yourself. I typically pay $2.50, even $2 a grip and regrip myself. Most people typically pay $100 for the set, I pay about a third of that.
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I regrip when it doesn't feel as tacky. The clubs I use to practice a lot - 6 iron, sand wedge, they get changed more often.

When is different for everyone. Some sweat more than others. Some don't use a glove. Some grips last longer than others. I typically change once a season minimal.

If you check Rockbottom, you can get grips at a better price if you grip yourself. I typically pay $2.50, even $2 a grip and regrip myself. Most people typically pay $100 for the set, I pay about a third of that.

Pretty much. The key is to clean them regularly. This way you know your feel isn't based on all the dirt the grip can pick up. If the grips are still smooth even after a good cleaning, time to replace.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think it's really a personal thing... If you still feel like they grip well (you don't have to grip them too tightly and they aren't slipping), then no need to do anything. Recently, I've been changing mine pretty often, but that's because I've been experimenting with grips to find what I like best ( which I think I have finally done ). These new ones that I really like seems to be very durable, so I'm guessing I can get a couple years (if not more) out of them. I play 27 holes a week, and hit a 100-300 at the range/into a net, a week. So... Whatever works for you
  • Upvote 1

I've had my irons for about 5 years now and still have the original factory grips on them. I golf a good amount I'd say, about 15-20 rounds a year, mostly in the summer. Recently a friend of mine at the local pro shop told me that grips should be replaced every 20 rounds. Personally, this seems like a short amount of time (but what do I know haha). What do you guys think, how often should I be regripping?

About 4 years ago...... :-) [quote name="saevel25" url="/t/72870/when-to-regrip#post_956884"] Pretty much. The key is to clean them regularly. This way you know your feel isn't based on all the dirt the grip can pick up. If the grips are still smooth even after a good cleaning, time to replace.  [/quote] This. ^^^^^^ If you live in cold weather, leaving them in a cold garage over the winter will shorten their life too. I play a lot so I regrip every year, but only the clubs that need it. Some (driver, hybrids, wedges, 8-iron, 6--iron) need it every year due to high relative use. Others can skip a year.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

About 4 years ago......

This. ^^^^^^

If you live in cold weather, leaving them in a cold garage over the winter will shorten their life too. I play a lot so I regrip every year, but only the clubs that need it. Some (driver, hybrids, wedges, 8-iron, 6--iron) need it every year due to high relative use. Others can skip a year.

A good trick is to get some of this

Make a bit of a slurry and use a toothbrush to really clean in the grooves on the grip. Especially if you don't use a traditional tacky wrap grip. Tour Velvet, they have those little notches that can really hold dirt. It might take a while, but its worth doing every month or so, instead of tearing off grips when they are still perfectly good.

Or I am sure @iacas plug these guy http://www.puregrips.com/, and give you a good testimonial on how durable those grips are :-P

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm taking it all into consideration now. I'm going out to an indoor range in a few days and am going to focus on how the grips feel between newer clubs (bought a new wedge at the end of last season) in my bag and older ones (like my irons). I know grips are different from manufacture to manufacture but I figure it'll give me a rough idea. In the last year, I have noticed that my older clubs haven't been as "sticky?" or "grippy" as before, so I think regripping is needed before the season starts.

I'll give them a good clean before I made the final decision though, then decide then.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

A good trick is to get some of this

Make a bit of a slurry and use a toothbrush to really clean in the grooves on the grip. Especially if you don't use a traditional tacky wrap grip. Tour Velvet, they have those little notches that can really hold dirt. It might take a while, but its worth doing every month or so, instead of tearing off grips when they are still perfectly good.

Or I am sure @iacas plug these guy http://www.puregrips.com/, and give you a good testimonial on how durable those grips are

I am beginning to think there is no end to the uses for BKF!!!

Back on topic, I have Lamkin Crosslines on everything but my putter.   Most of them are going on their third year (around 150-200 rounds/range trips) and since I seem to find a reason to replace at least one club a year, I typically have a new grip to compare to the older ones.   So far, the oldest ones still feel much like the newest one.    What I do to keep them feeling that way is clean them at least weekly and during the hottest times of the year, almost daily.   I use typical hand soap, warm water and a brush I stole from my wife that was intended to be used on her nails and feet...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I do it a lot, probably every 3 months or less, I think this is what I'm going to stick with for a while now.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Depends on the club but because I use the DriTac heavily used clubs get new grips every couple of months. Unfortunately due to my low GIR % my wedges get a lot of use. My 4-6i rarely get used so those last a while.

Dave :-)

If you have Winn grips you'll be replacing them more frequently than other brands.

Agreed... and harder to install.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!