IGNORED

Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

tigerwoo
Note: This thread is 2575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is golf a sport?

• Yes
    • No

I keep going back to baseball, but Bill Belichek always said that what he loves about baseball is that you can't run the clock.  You've got 9 innings, and if you're winning, you've still got to go get the other guys out.  Golf is similar.  You can't just get ahead and slow it down.  You've got to keep putting up scores.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Golf is exactly the same here.  The distance or timed sports require you to run a distance, and the golf equivalent is you are required to finish 72 holes.  There is no set score to reach, but there isn't a set time to reach in running and swimming sports either.  You simply have to do it faster (or is less strokes) than everybody else.

There's a finish line, in running and a finish line in swimming and you have to cross it faster than everyone else. The point of golf is to put the ball in the hole and if you do that 18 times you finish a round. you don't have to hole out faster than anyone else, time wise, and you don't have to hit it any farther. You do have to finish the round in less strokes, and again I see your point, I just think that theres less of a phsyical component and more of a mental component in furthrance of that goal.

I just realized that this whole Game v. Sport thing can be, and usually is coded labeling of games being not worth of the respect as sports. I don't feel that way at all. Golf is hard, I respect the Game and I love the game. I simply don't think of it as sport it's to mental.

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

Originally Posted by MbolicGolf

I just realized that this whole Game v. Sport thing can be, and usually is coded labeling of games being not worth of the respect as sports.

Hopefully not on here (everybody here loves and respects golf, right?), but when having this debate with non golfers that is totally the feeling I get as well.

Hopefully not on here (everybody here loves and respects golf, right?), but when having this debate with non golfers that is totally the feeling I get as well.

Actually, I just changed my mind. Golf is a sport.

Golf is a sport. Those who disagree are wrong.

Auito racing is also 100% sport. Those who disagree are also wrong.

Anything that requires physical ability to compete is a sport. I have played a great many sports over my 30 years, some of them at very, very high level. Golf is one of the hardest I have ever been involved with.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• Administrator

If lynchpin of a sport is physical excercise, then it stands to reason that that the contest be phsyical.

Who decided that? I don't know if I agree to that.

Competitive target shooting (maybe even with a bow and arrows) might be a sport, and if you don't like that, then I could say golf is a physical exercise. It's not entirely mental. You can't play actual golf purely via a computer or video game or something.

Originally Posted by MbolicGolf

Meaning you have to move a mass in a way that supersedes your opponent in spite of your opponents best efforts to stop you.

That rules out a lot of things 99% of people would call sports, you know. All forms of racing, for one. Runners can't block others (illegal) and swimmers can't either. High jumpers can't. Etc.

Heck, chess has a single opponent, and if you keep talking, chess is going to be more of a sport than the 4 x 100m relay on a track or a pool.

The other thing is that there's no simultaneous activity in golf, when you perform the activity you are given a silent environment so you can make your shot. If golf was players scrambling to hit the same ball then I would call it a sport.

You're just digging yourself a bigger hole.

The point of distance or timed sports is that everyone is given the same goal 100m, 200m, 5k, and you have to complete that goal faster than your opponent doing substantialy the same thing your opponents are doing. In golf there's no number or shots or time or distance that every golfer has to adhear too. The goal is to put the ball in the hold and you can do that in anyway you see fit with in the rules. In anycase I see your point but I still fall on the game side of the fence becasue there's not enough physical conteste between players to over come the induviduality.

18 holes. Or 72. That's your "distance." You have to complete that goal "fastest" (fewest strokes) than the other 153+ opponents.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

They were defined as strength, speed, agility, quickness, etc.   Look back a couple posts...

You haven't defined those things, and I say golf has strength, speed, agility, and quickness. Let's see you carry a ball 290 or wrench a 4-iron out of juicy rough and carry it 224 and land it on something the size of your kitchen without strength, speed, agility, or quickness.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Anything that requires physical ability to compete is a sport.

Just curiosu then: is darts a sport? Billiards? Bocce? Horseshoes? Just curious.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Boo!  Why'd you do that?  We were having fun!

Well, even though golf is less physical, it's certainly not analagous to chess or any other game. It was fun, I love to argue as well trust me, but even though I could distinguish golf from other sports I could not liken it to any game in so as to create more than a marginal connection. So I concluded since it has more atributes of a sport than it does a game it's a sport.

golf is a sport if i'm doing well and just a game if i'm sucking it up.

honestly i've always thought of it as a sport, and people who decry that usually can't play it themselves. a running theme with people who decry things is that they cannot do said thing themselves. i mean car racing and horse racing are still sports and they seem to be more on the fringe than golf does.

it was funny reading people's reactions to phil being upset with cellphone pictures though. from the couch a lot of people are experts on how easy it is to compete against the rest of the top 1% in your sport/game.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by iacas

Competitive target shooting (maybe even with a bow and arrows) might be a sport, and if you don't like that, then I could say golf is a physical exercise. It's not entirely mental. You can't play actual golf purely via a computer or video game or something.

That rules out a lot of things 99% of people would call sports, you know. All forms of racing, for one. Runners can't block others (illegal) and swimmers can't either. High jumpers can't. Etc.

Heck, chess has a single opponent, and if you keep talking, chess is going to be more of a sport than the 4 x 100m relay on a track or a pool.

18 holes. Or 72. That's your "distance." You have to complete that goal "fastest" (fewest strokes) than the other 153+ opponents.

You haven't defined those things, and I say golf has strength, speed, agility, and quickness. Let's see you carry a ball 290 or wrench a 4-iron out of juicy rough and carry it 224 and land it on something the size of your kitchen without strength, speed, agility, or quickness.

Just curiosu then: is darts a sport? Billiards? Bocce? Horseshoes? Just curious.

What do you mean I'm digging my self a bigger hole?

You haven't defined those things, and I say golf has strength, speed, agility, and quickness. Let's see you carry a ball 290 or wrench a 4-iron out of juicy rough and carry it 224 and land it on something the size of your kitchen without strength, speed, agility, or quickness.

Yeah, cuz nothing defines speed, strength, agility, and quickness like a 4 iron out of the rough...

• Upvote 1

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I still can't believe this is really an argument still. Golf is very much a sport.

Dictionary.com (first result)

Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. as racing, baseball, tennis, golf , bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting , fishing, etc.
Before you say Dictionary.com also defines golf as:
Golf - a game in which clubs with wooden or metal heads are used to hit a small, white ball into a number of holes, usually 9 or 18, in succession, situated at various distances over a course having natural or artificial obstacles, the object being to get the ball into each hole in as few strokes as possible.
It says golf is a game but the same website says Ice hockey is defined as.
Ice Hockey - a game played on ice between two teams of six skaters each, the object being to score goals by shooting a puck into the opponents' cage using a stick with a wooden blade set at an obtuse angle to the shaft.
Definition of game. Third Definition
Game - a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

I think the answer lies in here. A game is a sport but a sport is not neccesarily a game. Golf is both a game and a sport . I think maybe that depends on what level it is being played at.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Who gives a rats ass if its a sport or a game?  It is however, the best one ever!!

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

At the higest level they are. They require physical precision and effort. I dont like darts, but that shit is HARD. Horseshoes, not so much, more of a game imo. Are there Horseshoe championships? Shooting sports are in the olympics. They are definitely sports, and are precision based.

I saw someone who said anything with judges was not a sport. That means boxing is not a sport, when in fact its the oldest sport in the world. Older than wrestling, which goes back to the greeks.

Everyone tries to make their own definition, when it very clearly has an exact one.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Sounds like your definition of athleticism is "I can do it" and your definition of skill is "I can't do it". You must view yourself as an athlete. You suck at golf, so it must not be an athletic endeavor. So long as it makes sense to you, I guess.

BTW, ever tried walking 18 holes in 95 degree/99% humidity, while swinging a golf club?  I guess that only requires skill, not athleticism.

If that's how it sounds, then maybe I'm not expressing myself properly.

I love football, and I used to play it. I never made the big leagues because I wasn't athletic enough AND I wasn't skilled enough. I'm never going to be a a pro MMA fighter neither, because I'm not athletic or skilled enough. Golf, however, requires a lot more skill than I currently have, but not much more (if at all) athletic ability.

This is so weird, because I keep parroting the same thing, and I really don't see how you can misinterpret it as much as you guys are!

No. I think we agree that you've yet to provide your definition in a way that's not entirely ambiguous.

Then define them. Because from where I'm sitting, golf requires a mix of athleticism, physical ability, and skill.

I don't think you realize how dumb that sounds.

I'm not the starting QB for the Steelers because I don't have the skill, not because I don't have the physical ability.

I'm not the starting shortstop for the Pirates because I don't have the skill, not because I don't have the physical ability.

I'm not playing on Sidney Crosby's wing because I don't have the skill, not because I don't have the physical ability.

Give me a break.

Yep.

And you've not offered a single thing to say otherwise, including a simple definition for "athleticism."

Uhhhh... no.. but see above.

Here's me thinking that me quoting wikipedia, which also says that the definition of sports is ambiguous, would've settled all this.

We're not going to settle this.

Well, even though golf is less physical, it's certainly not analagous to chess or any other game. It was fun, I love to argue as well trust me, but even though I could distinguish golf from other sports I could not liken it to any game in so as to create more than a marginal connection. So I concluded since it has more atributes of a sport than it does a game it's a sport.

This is why we here at my work have so much trouble making the "rules" for what is and what isn't a sport.  Every time you make one that seems to make sense, you rule out something you don't mean to.

Of course, that's why it makes these kind of debates fun ... because they are, in the end, completely meaningless and all in good fun.

This is why we here at my work have so much trouble making the "rules" for what is and what isn't a sport.  Every time you make one that seems to make sense, you rule out something you don't mean to.

Of course, that's why it makes these kind of debates fun ... because they are, in the end, completely meaningless and all in good fun.

Unless you're me.

Note: This thread is 2575 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!