IGNORED

Is Golf a Sport or a Game?

tigerwoo
Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is golf a sport?

• Yes
    • No

I think it's a no-win argument.  Sure it takes some amount of athleticism to play well, but it probably comes down to more hand-eye coordination.  Billiards, darts, bowling all take that too.

Someone said golfers probably take the physical conditioning part of it out of proportion.  I'd tend to agree with that.  The pros aren't all chiseled like virtually every NBA player, but certainly they have some strength and stamina.  Baseball was an interesting comparison - it's a natural comparison because there have been some very un-athletic MLB pros over the years who have done very very well at the 'sport', or 'game', or whatever, at its highest level......David Wells, Bartolo Colon, David Ortiz, and even back in the old days you had guys like Boog Powell - who had more definition in his double chins than he had in his triceps.

I can't see how this can be ANYthing but controversial because there is so much ammo on both sides.  PGA golf is probably more a game than either NFL football or NBA basketball are sports.  It's difficult to frame any winning argument when you've had some huge success stories in the likes of some very un-athletic bodies like John Daly, Craig Stadler, Fuzzy Zoeller, et al.  Even a smaller, wiry guy like Ian Woosnam used to get caught on camera chain-smoking ciggies between holes.  Making the case it's a sport, with examples like that all over the place, is a hard argument to win IMHO.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

I was referring to the posts regarding the physical demands.  If a guy can play baseball (which is considered a sport) and only have to get up to bat max 4 - 5 times during a game then you can't discount golf as a sport since it's at least as physically demanding.  I agree I stacked the deck a bit using DH, but I've seen a number of 1st baseman and outfielders that weren't in good condition either.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If we're calling the one dimensional position of DH on baseball team a sport, can we call certain aspects of golf, like putting, sports. Is putting a very physically demanding activity? How about mini-golf?  The DH is one position in a team sport. Some positions are more demanding than others. Even some players playing the same position have more demanding roles than others. Compare playing catcher versus first base (the 4 infielders, the battery, starters v. middle relievers, it depends on your POV).

Either way, the two main things golf and baseball have in common are that 1.) it's more work to practice the game than play it, and 2.) to a casual sports fan who doesn't even have a favourite team or player, they're extremely boring to watch on TV.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In terms of physical risk, it's a sport. I wrestled in HS and college, but since then most of my hobbling injuries came in golf:

• Back injury, circa 1988.
  • Pulled groin muscle, 1998. (early model soft spikes slipped; no workout for three months)
  • Badly sprained elbow, 1999. (hit tree root in rough)
  • Partially torn miniscus, L. knee 2002. (stepped in gopher hole while carrying golf bag in rough)

(I know, if I stayed out of the rough...)

Among others....

• Someone hit a clay drain pipe with a SW and sprained a wrist (pipe was just below sand in a washed-out bunker)
  • A former co-worker hit a tree root in the rough, and sustained nerve damage to his left shoulder; took him a year of treatment to recover, he now rides in mountain bike races.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Its really too hard to define "sport" and it seems everyone's definition is different.

I think golf is a sport because they cover it on sports center.

:whistle:

Both.
  • Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The golf swing is an atheltic movement that many who play, do VERY proorly.  Golf also requires an immense amount of mental capicity that creates a huge amount of seperation between good players and bad players.  Those are both requirements to any "sport" that I've played.  I vote Sport.

Things such as billiards, darts, poker, etc are what I consider "games."

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

The golf swing is an atheltic movement that many who play, do VERY proorly.  Golf also requires an immense amount of mental capicity that creates a huge amount of seperation between good players and bad players.  Those are both requirements to any "sport" that I've played.  I vote Sport.

Things such as billiards, darts, poker, etc are what I consider "games."

If you've played or witnessed "pub games" at a high level (not including poker - how does that get on TV?!?), it's pretty obvious that some amount of physical ability is required. The disparity between a good pool player and a poor one is quite staggering, especially if you've ever been on the receiving end of a beating.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It somewhat depends on how seriously you take it and whether you walk or ride. I walk playing alone and playing 18 walking will physically tire you out and i consider myself to be in decent shape.   Yes bowling, darts, pool, etc require some physical exertion but non-players dont realize how many muscles are involved in a golf swing.  Yes, overweight and/or out of shape people can play golf but how many of those do you see on the pga tour that are competing for wins?  Not very many.  A lot of workouts aimed toward golfers address injury prevention, flexibility, etc.   And another thing, if you think golf isnt physical, go to the range and hit a few hundred balls without stopping to rest, you're going to work up quite a sweat.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

If you've played or witnessed "pub games" at a high level (not including poker - how does that get on TV?!?), it's pretty obvious that some amount of physical ability is required. The disparity between a good pool player and a poor one is quite staggering, especially if you've ever been on the receiving end of a beating.

I hear where you are coming from.  I actually have played pool since i was 5 and play darts with my dad from young as well (he was s semi-pro dart player in Ontairo).  Both of those games can get quite intense!

Would you agree that the Golf swing is highly athletic?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

as much as i love golf, when someone asks me "is golf a sport?" i cannot with a straight face say "yes".  for me, golf is an activity.  like bowling.  like darts.  like shuffleboard.  sorry, JMHO.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

I hear where you are coming from.  I actually have played pool since i was 5 and play darts with my dad from young as well (he was s semi-pro dart player in Ontairo).  Both of those games can get quite intense!

Would you agree that the Golf swing is highly athletic?

I would consider the golf swing as athletic as splitting logs for building a roaring campfire (aah summertime). You need the proper equipment, coupled with a certain amount of strength and skill in order to get the job done without ending up in ER, but you don't need to be competition ready in order to do an acceptable job. I suppose what constitutes "acceptable" could turn this game/hobby into a sport.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Coincidentally, "game" is what hunters kill for sport.

BWOHAHAHA!

And don't forget that we attend football, basketball, and baseball GAMES!  I.e.  are you going to the game today?

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by dbuck

BWOHAHAHA!

And don't forget that we attend football, basketball, and baseball GAMES!  I.e.  are you going to the game today?

Sorry for quoting myself!  This is one example of why they say English is hard to learn.  I am going to WORK on my GAME so I can PLAY better golf, and when I PLAY with my friends, they will think I am a better SPORT.

Back on topic, after walking my fat butt 9 holes in 93* heat and 90% humidity yesterday, I will vote sport.  On the other hand, all sports are games compared to what the ladies and men in uniform do for us daily!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by jshots

Its really too hard to define "sport" and it seems everyone's definition is different.

I think golf is a sport because they cover it on sports center.

Like bowling and poker? I'm firmly in the game camp.

Golf.  A game we have enjoy when we are sporting a lower handicap :D

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

I'd say golf is both a game and a sport.  And an activity.

A game is a competitive contest.   Blackjack is a game.   Two basketball teams competing form a game.   Playing golf against others is a game.

An activity is something one does.   If you're not playing golf where the results matter, your are involved in golf as an activity.

As to whether golf is a sport or not, one doesn't have to break into a heavy sweat and elevate your heartbeat to call it a sport.    Consider this example - let's say I come to you and explain a newly invented game/activity.   I tell you it involves using many different muscle groups in your body, all synchronized nearly perfectly, to accelerate a type of bat to strike a ball nearly perfectly causing that ball to accelerate from zero to almost 150MPH and propel it an 1/8th of a mile away, and then do it again repeatedly over several hours.    That activity is played outdoors in whatever elements are present, and that there is a fair amount of walking and often some hill climbing involved.       Now I ask you if that sounds like a sport, or is this a passive activity like doing jigsaw puzzles.    Don't you think you'd certainly call that game a sport?

I say it's a sport. Bowls, darts, pool require coordination (much like all sports) but require little if any athletic ability. To swing a club at over 100mph and hit a ball 250-300 yards dead straight requires skill and athletic ability. However since golf can be played with only 1 person it certainly opens it up for a non-sportsmen to percieve and play it as a game. If they don't have aspirations to be in the top echelon of the sport then they can go around with their buddies, drinking a beer a hole and hacking it up with no athletic ability or coordination at all. But I find it very hard trying to say Tiger/Phil/Bubba aren't sportsmen. On the other hand I would laugh very loudly if someone tried to say the world champion at darts is an athlete or sportsman.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Sport.

-noun

1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature , as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
Golf is a game where you compete against others and it requires skill AND physical prowess.  Its a sport.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!