IGNORED

Best Swing on PGA Tour?

mackingchicken
Note: This thread is 3692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Swing I like the best and would copy if I could: Ernie Els

Swing I would be better off trying to copy: Steve Stricker

lol totally forgot about Mahan, edited my post

Watched him on the range hitting 4 irons for about 20 minutes at Riviera. Obviously all those guys hit it well but Mahan is a notch above most of them. Rarely misses his start lines and curves it the same amount every time, hits it pretty solid too

I think Hunter has one of the most technically sound swings in the game and I would love to emulate it as best I can, I know my swing looks nothing like his but if I were to use samples to go by I think he's the best in the game.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I know it's a boring and obvious opinion, but how can I look farther than Tiger?

Perhaps it's super silly of me to argue anyone on this thread since, well, we're all right in our opinions... but Tiger's swing just looks so violent these days. I know it's always been aggressive, but now I'm wondering if at age 38 he should swing more like he does on the range, which is a considerably slower, more relaxed action.

All this said, he's won 79 times on the PGA Tour, so I think he'd know more than me on this one, but lately, I've wondered about his tempo. I'm not saying he should never step on the gas, but maybe it shouldn't be his stock shot off the tee.

I'm not sure if this is off-topic or not.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Perhaps it's super silly of me to argue anyone on this thread since, well, we're all right in our opinions... but Tiger's swing just looks so violent these days. I know it's always been aggressive, but now I'm wondering if at age 38 he should swing more like he does on the range, which is a considerably slower, more relaxed action.

All this said, he's won 79 times on the PGA Tour, so I think he'd know more than me on this one, but lately, I've wondered about his tempo. I'm not saying he should never step on the gas, but maybe it shouldn't be his stock shot off the tee.

I kind of agree with what you said and hell, if we're analyzing/discussing PGA swings, I don't see your post as off-topic at all. I do think he looks as though he's putting too much into his swing this year though (and even at times late last year). I'm not sure if that's just our perspective, if he changed something that makes his swing look more aggressive, or what. I still think he's fluid as water though and I'd love to be able to keep my head a 1/10th as still as he does. Watching his slow motion swings looks like some fake, CGI produced clip if you focus on the button on his hat (Fun Fact: The "button" on the top of the hat is called a Squatcho... thanks Wiki Answers... :beer: ).

No, I agree. There's no arguing that he's not successful but I'd prefer to have Rory's fluid, balance and "poetic" swing than Tiger's violent thrashing lash but, then again, 5 wins and POY last year so...wadda I know? Squat, apparently.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Haas has a great move, but Adam Scott is the prototypical Harmon swing that I prefer.  Els, Mahon, Louie O., Rory and a host of guys today have very modern and at the same time classic swings.  The lower body is more braced today and swing arcs are more optimized than the great swings of the past, but almost everyone on tour has a great swing.  Perhaps a stranger topic would be who has the weirdest swings on tour and still gets results -- Jim F. is not the only outlier.  We could all name a few swings that maybe only the owner of that swing could make it work for them.  Try naming the Orville Moody types of today.

RC

(Fun Fact: The "button" on the top of the hat is called a Squatcho... thanks Wiki Answers... ).

Hehe, yea, that's why I thought it was silly of me to even argue my point :-D Although, I do wonder what ^^^ this swing looked like at normal speed... meaning, how hard was he actually swinging here? Still... amazing swing. It's hard to argue with that face on clip.

And going along with your "squatcho" factoid, the plastic/metal covering on the ends of our shoelaces are called " aglet s."

Constantine

In my mind, 2 guys are 1/1a for different reasons

1. Dustin Johnson - Love the wrist cock at the top of his backswing and the transition downward. A really powerful looking swing

1a. Rory - Great balance all the way through. He has the prettiest and most consistent finish that I see on tour

Adam Scott and Louis Oostuizen

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

It certainly isn't Russell Henley, although he's a precocious talent.  Ernie Els has been killing it for decades and the his fellow South African Louis Oosthuizen has a silky swing.  Adam Scott and Lee Westwood also have swings that you have to admire.

Oosthuizen and Schwartzel. No coincidence these guys are from South Africa. In their prime, Goosen and Els had two of the sweetest swings, too. They teach them well there.

Is it about the look or the result? Zach Johnson seems to pull the results of keeping it straight down the middle all day long. Driver, wedge, guy rarely misses.

Note: This thread is 3692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!