IGNORED

7 wood on PGA tour?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3567 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was surprised to read that MA Jimenez carries a Ping 7 wood in his bag, as reported by golf digest.  I thought such clubs were used only by women or feeble old men, not the TV pros.

What distance can he expect from a 7 wood, 175 yrds? Anyone here using a 7 wood? What's the diff between the 7 wood and # 4 hybrid?

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/grips#ixzz2v8igAxoe

I remember reading Trevino used a 7 wood often in lieu of a 3 iron.     A 7 wood is equivalent of a 3 hybrid with a much longer shaft - it isn't a short distance club as you make it out to be.    I bring one in & out of the bag & its far longer than a 4 hybrid ... and much better off the tee with a much higher ball flight - some courses call for height into greens & that's when I tend to use it

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a 7w and no hybrids, long end is driver 10.5, 4w 16, 7w 20. My well struck ball range with the 7w is 215-230. Basically I use it for anything out of 4i range, tight tee shots, recoveries and approaches on short par 5's. Home course has a sub 500 yd par 5. Also have a 3-4h but where I play the fairways work through long grass better with less risk of popups.

Dave :-)

Didn't Vijay Singh have a 7 wood at one time (or maybe still does)?

I could be wrong but for some reason it seems like I remember him playing with one.

A 7 wood is roughly 21 degrees, most pros do not use one the exception being a particular course lay out may dictate the use for one. At 21 degrees the pros often favor a hybrid, although the hybrid is often 1 inch or more shorter than the 7 FWY Pros will use a hybrid in the 16-23 degree. As far as actaul distance with a 7FWY I would venture a guess of at least 220-255 yards for a pro. I know when I had used one it was my go to club for 210-215 yardage

Watched Daniel Summerhays test out a 7 wood at the Humana this year. Wanted to be able to attack more par 5's, he was hitting it about 230-235. I think he put it in play.

I was surprised to read that MA Jimenez carries a Ping 7 wood in his bag, as reported by golf digest.  I thought such clubs were used only by women or feeble old men, not the TV pros.

What distance can he expect from a 7 wood, 175 yrds? Anyone here using a 7 wood? What's the diff between the 7 wood and # 4 hybrid?

Even though Jimenez isn't a long hitter compared to tour standard, his 175 club is probably a 7 or 6 iron.

So he'll be able to hit a 7 wood about 220.

Didn't Vijay Singh have a 7 wood at one time (or maybe still does)?

I could be wrong but for some reason it seems like I remember him playing with one.

Yeah he had an old Callaway one, don't think he played it anymore.

A 7 wood is roughly 21 degrees, most pros do not use one the exception being a particular course lay out may dictate the use for one. At 21 degrees the pros often favor a hybrid, although the hybrid is often 1 inch or more shorter than the 7 FWY

Pros will use a hybrid in the 16-23 degree. As far as actaul distance with a 7FWY I would venture a guess of at least 220-255 yards for a pro. I know when I had used one it was my go to club for 210-215 yardage

Correct pros will tend to go with hybrids over lofted fairway woods.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I had a Callaway Diablo Octane 7 wood that I never got along with.  I liked the 4 wood version of this club but the 7 wood was just too shallow -- I put a pop-up mark on the crown just from hitting balls off a range mat.  A deeper-faced 7 wood might have worked better for me, but I found this club to be shorter and more spinny than my 3 hybrid and way less consistent.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/grips#ixzz2v8igAxoe

I was going through a bunch of my old clubs last week and found an old Taylor Made 7 wood. Back in the day, it was my favorite club and allowed me to eliminate my 3-iron from my bag. . Other than the fact that it is made of steel, it looks just like a 4 hybrid.

Bill M

I was going through a bunch of my old clubs last week and found an old Taylor Made 7 wood. Back in the day, it was my favorite club and allowed me to eliminate my 3-iron from my bag. . Other than the fact that it is made of steel, it looks just like a 4 hybrid.

TM had a rescue/fairway that was available back in 2002-4???? It was kind of hybrid version of a fairway wood.  Hybrid length will a smallish fairway head. They may have called it a "mid rescue or rescue mid".

funny I can remember this stuff but can't remember to take the trash out on Thursday mornings. B-)

Wilson Staff's "bridge club" - it s a 19.5° oversized hybrid - said to be a modern 7 wood equivalent & has somewhat of a following

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I bought a TaylorMade V Steel 7 wood for $35 on ebay a couple of years ago when I started golfing again. For the price and what it does for me I couldn't be happier. I hit it 215 with a smooth swing but can add more yards if I swing harder. I am not against hybrids, but I have never had one. They seem to have been invented when I was absent from the game.

I wouldn't mind betting that someone will probably bag a 7-wood during Masters week. The higher trajectory offered could be just the club for holding glass-like greens if it gets fairly dry.

Personally, I've always found the 5 & 7 wood easier to use than the equivalent hybrid club, but it all depends on the course too. Linksy golf, I usually bag a 2-iron or a hybrid at 20 degrees. Parkland and heathland courses favour the fairway wood better for me. I used to bag a 20.5 degree Titleist 975 for this purpose, but I always considered it as something between a 5 & & wood. A 6-wood then lol.

• 3 months later...

I have been considering a 7 wood.  Specifically the newer Adam's Tight Lies one.  I know a guy who uses one and swears by it for longer shots out of the heavy rough.  I can't get either of my hybrids through the heavy stuff I am playing in this year.  Paging @boogielicious on this(re: "rough time with the rough").  Has anyone else every tried one of these?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I don't have the Adams, but my Titleist 910H is pretty good in rough as long as it is not too deep Iike lie #3 in that thread.  The 910 woods are not that good in the rough though.  The Tight Lies have a  different sole that maybe way better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't have the Adams, but my Titleist 910H is pretty good in rough as long as it is not too deep Iike lie #3 in that thread.  The 910 woods are not that good in the rough though.  The Tight Lies have a  different sole that maybe way better.

Supposedly the sole design helps with the Adams. I saw him advance a ball from #3 about 170-180 with it, he is a single digit player, but only hits it about 230 off the tee so I though that was pretty solid.  I will test his out and report back.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I have a 22 degree 7-wood. I hit it something in the region of 200 yards. But I've stopped carrying it in favour of a 20-degree 3 hybrid, which I hit a similar distance and miss less often. Interesting that the pros are moving to hybrids. But I guess it makes sense to hit the more forgiving club, however good you are. Risk management...

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

I use the same club Jimenez used. I love it. I was golfing with a guy (stranger) once, after I hit a generic fairway wood off the deck (not so well) he said "I'll let you try my 5 wood, but after you hit it, you have to promise to give it back". It was pure and effortless. Since then I've switched to these clubs. Got rid of the hybrids. I have the 3 wood but don't carry it, as it almost goes as far as the driver and I rarely try to hit a 3 to the green. The 7 goes from 165 - 205 depending on whether I tee it up and fade a soft swing or hit a hard, low draw.

A few months ago I saw an auction for the Ping 5 and 7 woods on eBay. The seller claimed that they were owned by a pro. I emailed him and asked who the pro was. He said he couldn't say. I think they might have been Jimenez's

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

At the 2004 Senior Open at Bellerive CC, about 1/3 of the players carried a 7-wood in their bag. Quite a few carried 1 - 3 - 5 - 7. This was right before the "explosion" in the use of hybrids.

The Darryl Survey Co. polled golfers in 2004 and found that only 7% of golfer carried hybrids. By 2007, it was more than 30%.

http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=16736263-2439-4485-bbc5-708894691d22

Two years go, I went from / 3W + 5W / to / Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W (21*)/. The extra couple degrees of loft in both clubs really helps out. Golf Diges t reported on testing which showed the average golfer hits a 4W more reliably than a 3W - and sometimes farther.

7W and 4H? I carry both. The 4H bridges the distance between my 7W and 4i.

The 7W most often overlaps in performance with the 3H. A 3H would have a stronger loft (19* or so), with a shorter shaft. I actually have a 3H which would replace the 7W in the bag in the fall when the rough is thinner and the winds are higher.

The 7W has become my "go to" club. It comes out of medium rough better than the 4H, can come in soft from 200 yds., and can be used off the tee on short par 4s.

BTW, I'm older, but I'm not feeble. @joekelly , what is your time in the 3-mile run?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3567 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!