IGNORED

Patrick Reed - Is he arrogant?

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 3431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Arrogant?

• Yes
    • No

Sure.  But he did better this meet than the last one.  Maybe he'll be that good - WAY too soon to see.

He's yet to be tested to hold his lead in a tight situation.

Last tourny, he was pissing away his lead the entire final round, but everybody else was sucking too so he got lucky.

This time, he seemed to be keeping it at bay.

I like AS and Rory and Tiger and Sergio wins when they accelerate AWAY from the pack, rather than just barely get by.

Another poster noted that if any of the big finishers could have had a run, he'd have been under pressure.

It's nice be able to relax and bail out on the last hole and just chip your way to a bogie win.  (Smart play though).  Great for him, though.

If I was a player, I'd also be thrilled to take a big lead into the final round and strokes to waste - good strategy if you can get to it..... :-\

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that Reed just made his life more difficult with his comments. If I recall correctly the most arrogant thing a young Tiger Woods ever said publicly was "Second place sucks" which is not even close to the glowing self-praise that Reed regaled us all with.

You might have his "I only had my B game today" after he won a tournament.  Basically saying "I can beat you guys even when I'm not playing my best".  Some weeks, I guess he could, but that smacks of arrogance as well. But, if you can back it up......

Congrats to him on a great 4 rounds.

Is he arrogant? I don't know, but I can definitely see how he'll be perceived as such. I find it interesting that his top 5 players didn't include Scott (Masters winner) or Rory (US open and PGA) whom is also under 25 years old. I'll wait to hear a few more of his interviews before passing judgment.

I agree with those who say he could have phrased his comments better...as in if his intention was just to highlight his good play, then he could have gone about it differently. The good thing about accomplishment is that they speak for themselves. You ain't gotta say squat.

Lastly, I had to laugh at the Red and Black attire tho. Even tho it's not a color owned by Tiger (In true definition), it's hilarious to see Reed sporting it like that.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Quote:
"I don't see a lot of guys that have done that besides Tiger Woods and the legends of the game," Reed said of his three wins, including a WGC title. "I believe in myself, especially with how hard I've worked. I'm one of the top five players in the world. I feel like I've proven myself."

Reed talking about his 3 wins the first 7 months.

Honestly I have no problem with it. If he wants to draw comparisons that is fine. I like his honesty and I like his confidence in himself. As for hte past 7 months, him and Jimmy Walker are the two main guys winning.

Now he just has to back up his claims by keep winning. Tiger said that winning takes care of everything. Well time for Reed to step up and prove he's in this for the long haul.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Keep in mind, there were two interviews.  The original interview was taped and played during the final round and the 2nd was after he won.  He had ample time to reconsider his choice of words and "clarify" what he meant.  He chose not to, which means he believes them to be true.

Exactly ^^^^    And everyone stop trying to give him a pass for being 23.  I think that's an ignorant argument.  You can learn to be humble and not tell everyone how great you are when you're 10 years old.

If you watch his press conference after the Cadillac on pgatour.com - it's painfully arrogant.

I would link it, but the new pgatour.com website is utter sh!t

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

True, but Spieth and Rory are younger so not sure what your point is.

LOL, this is like the billionth time (only slightly exaggerating) on this site that I've seen Rory's age leap backwards a couple years.

Guys, Rory will be turning 25 in a couple months.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

LOL, this is like the billionth time (only slightly exaggerating) on this site that I've seen Rory's age leap backwards a couple years.

Guys, Rory will be turning 25 in a couple months.

But he won and was #1 in the world when he was 23

Joe Paradiso

Quick comparison.  Russell Henley just won a tournament.  He's 24.  He was low amateur at the 2010 U.S. Open. Won on Nationwide tour. Won the Haskins award for best collegiate player. First rookie on tour to win in their debut in 12 years.  Did he mention any of that in his press conference a couple of weeks ago, or the whole week of the tournament?  No.  He was humble, and acted like he'd been there before. He's 24.

I ask, what is the problem with be arrogant? Why does everyone have to PR them selves. If he's arrogant, than he's arrogant. Its up to him to be so.

Honestly I didn't find him arrogant at all during his new conference. He was up front and honest. He gave a ton of praise to other people besides himself, especially the people he surrounds himself with to be successful.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I ask, what is the problem with be arrogant? Why does everyone have to PR them selves. If he's arrogant, than he's arrogant. Its up to him to be so.

Just my opinion, but arrogance (a trait which goes beyond candor, confidence, etc.) is one of the least appealing traits that a person can have. Again, I'm not drawing that conclusion from Reed's interview. Rather, I'm refuting your comment that arrogance is a problem. To my mind, it's one of the most loathsome qualities a person can possess.

Honestly I didn't find him arrogant at all during his new conference. He was up front and honest. He gave a ton of praise to other people besides himself, especially the people he surrounds himself with to be successful.

~~ar·ro·gant (ăr′ə-gənt) adj. 1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance. 2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others

Now I will admit to not seeing his interview yet so I have no opinion if he is in fact arrogant, however if he is then there it is.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I could be totally wrong about this, I don't even think we'll be discussing this guy once the U.S. Open rolls around.  He'll be that cocky guy that dressed like Tiger on Sunday and won a few times.

Why not? The guy has been successful at every level, high school, college, Monday qualifying. I don't think Reed is a "flash in the pan".

I agree, it was kind of a cringe-worthy moment in my opinion. But when they stick a mic in your face 30 seconds after the biggest win of your career??? Let's just say I wouldn't fault the guy if he wasn't thinking and/or expressing himself exactly like he intended to.

Again, if he stands by those comments in future interviews, then I'll have to concede that he's an arrogant S.O.B. But for now, I'm reserving judgment.

Yeah he just got his 3rd win in seven months, so I can how it's easy to come off cocky. It's one thing to talk about how good you are and perform poorly, it's another thing to back it up.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

But he won and was #1 in the world when he was 23

The way you stated it though it seemed as if he was still 23 or younger.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

IMO, it's to early to tell, I for one am not going to judge him on questions asked minutes after he won his biggest tournament. By the way the "where do you rank" question asked was the equivalent of a sucker punch, given it was asked when the winning juices were running hot. Frankly it was nice to hear something honest, typically there are about a half dozen answers that get repeated all the time. and at least he didn't point to the sky and invoke some kind of patronizing secular religious phrase. He'll probably get hooked up with a sponsor now who will put him through PR school, and he will start repeating canned phrases that are known to appeal to the audience. BORING. I think he should be who he is and stay true to himself, it's worked so far. As to his choice of fashion: I can't believe he is be criticized for wearing "Tiger colors". It's obvious who's camp that criticism is coming from, all I can say is wow, quite a Bromance you have going there. The are a few good examples of arrogance, childish and rather boorish behavior on the tour, but I'll leave them unnamed. The good thing is that Reed will probably get some edgy but good natured locker room ribbing from Dufner and gang, which should send a message to tone it down a bit. At least that's the way I like to think these things should be handled within a peer group of guys.. Rather than acting like a bunch of fashion nazi's on the red carpet having a melt down because he wore someone else colors- geez, they sound like Joan Rivers.

I'd rather see Patrick Reed border on arrogance in his statements than to hear the media be arrogant for a player. The media causes me to dislike players far more than the players themselves. I've always been pretty indifferent toward most players. During the carousel of number ones, and the media hoopla that surrounded each, while Tiger was in beaver rehab made me sick. It's been bad ever since. A player wins a tournament and they're the next coming. Jason Day is considered a masiah in the media after winning the match play. Patrick Reed wins more times in 15 starts, against better fields, than Jason Day has in his career and the dude gets crucified. It's hilarious to watch GC and other media outlets trip over themselves trying to backup on throwing Reed under the bus when the they started hearing that the other pros like Reed and his comments.

I'd rather see Patrick Reed border on arrogance in his statements than to hear the media be arrogant for a player. The media causes me to dislike players far more than the players themselves. I've always been pretty indifferent toward most players. During the carousel of number ones, and the media hoopla that surrounded each, while Tiger was in beaver rehab made me sick. It's been bad ever since. A player wins a tournament and they're the next coming. Jason Day is considered a masiah in the media after winning the match play. Patrick Reed wins more times in 15 starts, against better fields, than Jason Day has in his career and the dude gets crucified. It's hilarious to watch GC and other media outlets trip over themselves trying to backup on throwing Reed under the bus when the they started hearing that the other pros like Reed and his comments.

Other pro's aren't going to say anything negative to the media about Reed (except maybe Poulter who might tweet something).  If the older pro's have an issue with Reed it will be dealt with in the club house not on Golf Channel.

I'm sure most are chuckling that this kid is spouting off about being Top 5 with the Masters Tournament 1 month away.  He's putting a lot more pressure on himself to perform in a tournament that comes with a ton of pressure to begin with.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!