IGNORED

Popular Golfers Who You Can't Stand

ztexz
Note: This thread is 3679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Another one for me is any player that rambles on about his/her deity after winning. They never thank their deity after losing.

Non-religious folks don't thank their wife, caddy, or swing coach, or whoever else they believe helped them out when they lose either, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Non-religious folks don't thank their wife, caddy, or swing coach, or whoever else they believe helped them out when they lose either, so I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is, there is no need to thank their deity, when there is no proof that any aforementioned deity exists, or had any impact what so ever. And if said deity is proved to exist, wouldn't it be part of said deity's plan anyway? So any sense of achievement is then worthless as it was pre planned.

The same can not be said for a swing coach, wife or caddy.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

My point is, there is no need to thank their deity, when there is no proof that any aforementioned deity exists, or had any impact what so ever.

How we feel, makes us win or lose. Faith has a lot to do with how we feel, and gets us through a difficult task.

If we believe in ourselves, our wives or coaches or all of them, that' fine. If we believe in our deity over everything else, that's also fine.

Whatever gets us through this game (and life) is good.

• Upvote 3

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

How we feel, makes us win or lose. Faith has a lot to do with how we feel, and gets us through a difficult task.

If we believe in ourselves, our wives or coaches or all of them, that' fine. If we believe in our deity over everything else, that's also fine.

I don't agree with this in the slightest, and the second highlighted part specifically - but this is not the thread for this.

:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I don't agree with this in the slightest, and the second highlighted part specifically - but this is not the thread for this.

Well, at least you didn't disagree with the third. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'd point out that the premise of this thread is different from those threads.

Meh, my answer is the same for all of those threads including this one...

IAN POULTER

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I'd point out that the premise of this thread is different from those threads.

Meh, my answer is the same for all of those threads including this one...

IAN POULTER

That's kind of why I posted those links.  Not so much because I wanted to be a fuddy duddy and complain about people complaining (there's some irony in there) ... but mostly because the difference between "hated," "hate the most," "least favorite," "can't stand," and "dislike" is negligible.

Almost everybody is going to give the same answers for this one that they gave in those others.  The top vote getters are always Poulter, Sabbatini, Sergio, Bubba, with a little Mickelson, Vijay, and even some Tiger thrown in for good measure.

And for the record, I'm still not really bothered by Poulter. ;-) Who I really can't stand, though, is Hideki Matsuyama!! :bugout:

(Totally kidding, by the way.  About Matsuyama, that is.  Not kidding about Poulter) :beer:

My point is, there is no need to thank their deity, when there is no proof that any aforementioned deity exists, or had any impact what so ever. And if said deity is proved to exist, wouldn't it be part of said deity's plan anyway? So any sense of achievement is then worthless as it was pre planned.

Even if God won the tournament for you, you can still thank him for the check, trophy, invitation to Maui, and the two-year exemption.

Agree with this.  A big part of the difference between winning and finishing in the top-5 on tour is how you handle stress and pressure.  Golfers do all sorts of logically irrelevant things to help them maintain confidence in spite of that pressure.  Wearing certain colors, playing a certain # on your ball, using a special coin as a marker--all superstitious things which have no direct physical influence over the angle of the clubface at impact.

http://www.positivementalimagery.com/news_letters/newsletter_edition.php?id=190

Even with no proof that God exists, or no personal faith, you can appreciate how belief in an abstract power helps lots of golfers.  If that golfer's talisman happens to be his faith, why should he suddenly be despised?  I've never heard anyone say "Tiger is such an idiot for wearing black and red every Sunday," or "Ernie Els is nuts for thinking he can't birdie two holes with the same ball."

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

always amazes me how little tolerance those without faith have in relation to those who do.     In any event, I would have to say Vijay.     I've NEVER seen him smile on the golf course.   He rarely acknowledges the crowd after a putt.     He walks too slow on the green - it's like he's meandering out there.     He's the embodied definition of a curmudgeon ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

None. It's like separating an artist's art from the artist. If you didn't read or listen to the music of every racist writer/musician you'd eliminate a ton of great works. I'm just there to watch swings and putts. I don't pay attention to personal life and am indifferent to them outside the course.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Even if God won the tournament for you, you can still thank him for the check, trophy, invitation to Maui, and the two-year exemption.

Agree with this.  A big part of the difference between winning and finishing in the top-5 on tour is how you handle stress and pressure.  Golfers do all sorts of logically irrelevant things to help them maintain confidence in spite of that pressure.  Wearing certain colors, playing a certain # on your ball, using a special coin as a marker--all superstitious things which have no direct physical influence over the angle of the clubface at impact.

Even with no proof that God exists, or no personal faith, you can appreciate how belief in an abstract power helps lots of golfers.  If that golfer's talisman happens to be his faith, why should he suddenly be despised?  I've never heard anyone say "Tiger is such an idiot for wearing black and red every Sunday," or "Ernie Els is nuts for thinking he can't birdie two holes with the same ball."

Yes you could - but how weak of a person do you have to be to praise and thank god for your success, rather than admitting that you put the hard work in, and the accomplishment is your own that you achieved. You did it, not god.

I almost feel a sense of sadness when I see guys praise their deity after winning, then the next week, where they miss the cut, the blame immediately shifts to themselves. All I get from that is 'All good comes from God, all failures are my own'. What a self deprecating lifestyle.

BTW, Ernie Els is a nut for thinking 2 birdies can not come from a golf ball :-) . There is solid evidence that more than one birdie can come from a golf ball ( maybe not in my golf game but I digress ). There is no such solid evidence of a deity.

They are not even in the same ballpark, not comparable.

I have no problem with a person admitting they require faith to get through life, but for Christs sake ( see what I did there ), credit yourself once in a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-troop

Yes you could - but how weak of a person do you have to be to praise and thank god for your success, rather than admitting that you put the hard work in, and the accomplishment is your own that you achieved. You did it, not god.

I almost feel a sense of sadness when I see guys praise their deity after winning, then the next week, where they miss the cut, the blame immediately shifts to themselves. All I get from that is 'All good comes from God, all failures are my own'. What a self deprecating lifestyle.

BTW, Ernie Els is a nut for thinking 2 birdies can not come from a golf ball . There is solid evidence that more than one birdie can come from a golf ball ( maybe not in my golf game but I digress ). There is no such solid evidence of a deity.

They are not even in the same ballpark, not comparable.

I have no problem with a person admitting they require faith to get through life, but for Christs sake ( see what I did there ), credit yourself once in a while.

You could be thankful that you were given the natural talent that allowed you to get to the position that hard work makes you successful. I suppose you could thank nature, or your parents for carrying the genetic material that made it all possible?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Isn't this interesting. A guy (Simpson, Streelman, others) credits someone or something outside of himself and is considered him a jerk.  Another guy credits himself (Reed) and is considered a jerk. And if a guy said absolutely nothing to an interviewer, he would be considered a jerk. Seems there is no way to satisfy everybody. So maybe they should just continue on, and let the rabble discuss their behavior on the internet.

• Upvote 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

always amazes me how little tolerance those without faith have in relation to those who do .     In any event, I would have to say Vijay.     I've NEVER seen him smile on the golf course.   He rarely acknowledges the crowd after a putt.     He walks too slow on the green - it's like he's meandering out there.     He's the embodied definition of a curmudgeon ...

Please be careful in your generalizations here.  I appreciate where you are coming from, because in this case you are right.  But that doesn't hold true for all non-religious people.  Heck, it's pretty safe to say at this point that Kieran is simply an ******* ..

Quote:
... but how weak of a person do you have to be to praise and thank god for your success ...

Don't lump all of the rest of non-religious people in with him, please.

Please be careful in your generalizations here.  I appreciate where you are coming from, because in this case you are right.  But that doesn't hold true for all non-religious people.  Heck, it's pretty safe to say at this point that Kieran is simply an ******* ..

Don't lump all of the rest of non-religious people in with him, please.

You can blame god for that.

Please be careful in your generalizations here.  I appreciate where you are coming from, because in this case you are right.  But that doesn't hold true for all non-religious people.  Heck, it's pretty safe to say at this point that Kieran is simply an ******* .. Don't lump all of the rest of non-religious people in with him, please.

Why is he an *#&$^$?

Note: This thread is 3679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!