IGNORED

2014 & '15 Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm with Colin on this one.  Sometimes I kinda wish I wasn't but, hey, whatever.  I think Jimmy V said it best ...

I can't even read the text of that speech without crying.   I don't think everybody needs to be that lame, but if you watch the whole thing and don't shed a tear, I think you must be a tin man.

yeah, that speech is devastating.  absolutely soul crushing.

the thing i hate about crying is that it gives me the worst headaches.  head feels like its going to explode.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm with Colin on this one.  Sometimes I kinda wish I wasn't but, hey, whatever.  I think Jimmy V said it best ...

I can't even read the text of that speech without crying.   I don't think everybody needs to be that lame, but if you watch the whole thing and don't shed a tear, I think you must be a tin man.

I don't think it's a matter of being lame, I just have found older guys tend to be more hardened and less emotional / prone to show croc tears.

For a point of reference I'm 48, my dad and uncles are in their 70's so we could be talking about a different generation.  When I got hurt as a kid, my dad would tell me to "toughen up, boys don't cry".  I've never said those words to my son, so obviously there's a change in mentality today compared to years ago.

Joe Paradiso

Sorry, I misread.....you agreed that you didn't want him to win, and that he falters......

Another guy with high standards.....

In 13 years as a pro he's won 26 times, including a Masters and a Tournament Players Championship.  Just because he doesn't win every week, I'm not going to characterize him as a choker.

And it's the putting that did it. His scoring clubs were still hot enough to have won the tournament. It was the push/pulls in his putting stroke that took away every opportunity from him. Yes, he choked. He had a substantial lead going into Sunday... That's called choking in anyone's book.

And it's the putting that did it. His scoring clubs were still hot enough to have won the tournament. It was the push/pulls in his putting stroke that took away every opportunity from him. Yes, he choked. He had a substantial lead going into Sunday... That's called choking in anyone's book

Big difference between having a bad Sunday once in a great while, and being an habitual "choker"......at least from my perspective.  Again, your standards for performance may be a lot higher than mine.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think the tears had to do with him having a great Sunday, overtaking the lead, but then nearly losing it due to a series of bad breaks, e.g.: hitting the small tree on his pitch-out on 16, the "smoked" 5i tee shot on 17 coming up oddly short, the sand save that hit the pin dead center and bounced out, and his approach on 18 going unusually long.  And in spite of all that he leaves himself a short putt on 18 to win and chokes on it with a nervous push, all under the watchful eye of Arnold Palmer himself surrounded the entire gallery.

Johnny Miller said it himself, he walked off 18 with the lead but unable to hold his head up after that putt.

He won only because the big names absolutely gave it to him.  Would have been a much better moment for him if he finished strong.  Ah well, still a cool million dollar purse.

Big difference between having a bad Sunday once in a great while, and being an habitual "choker"......at least from my perspective.  Again, your standards for performance may be a lot higher than mine.

Never said "habitual". But I can honestly say I've never seen a Sunday choking pattern so prominent than that of Adam Scott's.

Well, maybe Jim Furyk is up there with him too.

Never said "habitual". But I can honestly say I've never seen a Sunday choking pattern so prominent than that of Adam Scott's.

Well, maybe Jim Furyk is up there with him too.

Check out Scotty's hero's record on Sundays in Majors.

What about it? I'm just saying his inability to close is noteworthy. Not that he's never won a tournament.

I thought you were looking for bigger choke artists than Scott -  " I've never seen a Sunday choking pattern so prominent" - Greg Norman fills that profile.

But obviously you have other things you want to discuss.

I thought you were looking for bigger choke artists than Scott -  "I've never seen a Sunday choking pattern so prominent" - Greg Norman fills that profile.

But obviously you have other things you want to discuss.

Greg Norman isn't even relevant. If we're talking about the Golf professionals of today.

In 2004, the year Scott won THE PLAYERS Championship (with a short putter), he ranked No. 1 on TOUR in strokes gained-putting.

With the broomstick he was Adam Scott's strokes-gained putting ranking the last 6 years: T102 148 143 186 180 178.......not sure why he went to the broomstick.

http://www.pgatour.com/monday-backspin/2014/03/24/monday-finish-matt-every-wins.html

In 2004, the year Scott won THE PLAYERS Championship (with a short putter), he ranked No. 1 on TOUR in strokes gained-putting. With the broomstick he was Adam Scott's strokes-gained putting ranking the last 6 years: T102 148 143 186 180 178....... not sure why he went to the broomstick . [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/monday-backspin/2014/03/24/monday-finish-matt-every-wins.html]http://www.pgatour.com/monday-backspin/2014/03/24/monday-finish-matt-every-wins.html[/URL]

Because you're omitting a bunch of crappy putting years he had in between.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

In 2004, the year Scott won THE PLAYERS Championship (with a short putter), he ranked No. 1 on TOUR in strokes gained-putting.

With the broomstick he was Adam Scott's strokes-gained putting ranking the last 6 years: T102 148 143 186 180 178.......not sure why he went to the broomstick.

http://www.pgatour.com/monday-backspin/2014/03/24/monday-finish-matt-every-wins.html

Who's a gambling man here? I'm taking all bets regarding how well Scott does his first year without a broomstick

You are willing to bet he will do worse than those rankings for the last 6 years in @Rick Martin 's comment with "a broomstick"? :-O You might lose that bet even if he putts like crap.

Compasses being used by caddies? This is news to me......Every's caddy sure does enjoy using the f-ng as an adjective, doesn't he?

----------

I got lots of emails, texts and tweets asking about the device that Matt Every’s caddie had with him out there. I just asked Matt and he told me it is a compass which was made legal with the Amendments to the 2012-2013 edition of the Decision book. Decision 14-3/4 says:

Use of Compass During Round

Q.A player uses a compass during a stipulated round to help determine the direction of the wind or the direction of the grain in the greens. Is the player in breach of Rule 14-3?

A.No. A compass only provides directional information and does not gauge or measure variable conditions or assist the player in his play. (Revised)

Just wanted to ease everybody’s mind and give you the text of the Decision in case you don’t have it. Bravo to his caddie for knowing the rules! Cheers and congrats on your first win Matt!

http://www.golftraditions.com/experiences/compass-is-fine-to-use-now/

Note: This thread is 3326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!