IGNORED

Change the Dang Picture!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, at least he's not breaking out the krazy/gorilla glue. :-O If you see the blowtorch though, run! That doesn't look like duct tape though, Gorilla tape.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/30/2017 at 10:16 AM, kpaulhus said:

It never feels like you're changing a lot, so having pictures and videos to document the changes really makes me feel like the practice is paying off. No more swaying, turn the damn hips!

The crazy thing about golf is that I have been at a lower handicap with a not great swing (was a 2.7 index in July last year). I got hot and it didn't last long. Need the fundamentals and sound swing to get to and maintain a low index.

swing.jpg

Kyle,

What specifically did you work on to change from the June '15 to March '17 photo? I've been working with Stephan to improve my impact position (a bit of a flip has shown up). We're focusing on the turn from the top and the overtake rate, but I'm having a bit of trouble changing the picture. Some of my follow through shots look similar to your June '15 photo above.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Kyle,

What specifically did you work on to change from the June '15 to March '17 photo? I've been working with Stephan to improve my impact position (a bit of a flip has shown up). We're focusing on the turn from the top and the overtake rate, but I'm having a bit of trouble changing the picture. Some of my follow through shots look similar to your June '15 photo above.

Well Stephan and I are working on opening my hips and chest at impact. I could hit it pretty consistent and far, but I knew it wasn't sustainable. It wasn't the right way, and I slipped over the course of 4 months. I tend to slide forward on the downswing instead of turning my body. I unknowingly bent my left arm at impact as an athletic move but it was robbing me of power and accuracy. I hit my 7 iron 175ish yards, so to think I get more distance with the right move on the downswing is kind of eye opening. By changing the picture and turning instead of sliding I'm hitting al my clubs higher. Before I wasn't comfortable carrying my 4 iron 215 in the air. I could hit it that far, but with roll, not all carry. Today I carried it 217 over a lake to get home in 2 on a par 5. 

Stephan and I are also trying to engrain the feeling of that reverse C he drew on the second picture. By opening my hips and turning I am getting my left arm straight at impact and hitting higher straighter shots. 

• Upvote 3

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• 1 year later...

I wanted to share this. @mvmac is absolutely right about ‘changing the picture.’ Pictures/video are real, feel isn’t. As an example here from me at Mike Bender’s Academy. My swing so flat it was embarrassing. I just couldn’t seem to make a decent bs. Finally Mike put me on the wall and says, “ I want you to very slowly take your club back without touching the wall hold the top and tell me what you feel.”

Once at the top I literally felt like I was playing a game of vertical twister. I said I feel like my club is just above my head...way too steep and totally out of any feasible position to hit a golf ball. I honestly thought I must look ridiculous.

Mike then showed me this picture he took and said, “how’s that position look compared to what you felt”?

Pretty damn eye opening. 

2DFD20A9-E2C3-4DA2-8684-B65CFE4FAD97.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Vinsk said:

Once at the top I literally felt like I was playing a game of vertical twister. I said I feel like my club is just above my head...way too steep and totally out of any feasible position to hit a golf ball. I honestly thought I must look ridiculous.

I had the same issue when I first tried to stop taking the club too far inside on the backswing. It feels like the club is vertical at A3.

The best thing someone can do is do it as slow as possible to do the movement right. Much easier to make the movements when the club doesn't have momentum to do stupid stuff.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

I had the same issue when I first tried to stop taking the club too far inside on the backswing. It feels like the club is vertical at A3.

The best thing someone can do is do it as slow as possible to do the movement right. Much easier to make the movements when the club doesn't have momentum to do stupid stuff.

100% agree.  Unfortunately I’m still struggling with this. I’m sure my Evolvr instructor wishes he hadn’t gotten me...lol. I’m such a mess. Way too inside, flat..trail elbow in an awful position...trail hand comes off the club at top of my backswing...years and years of massive compensations. Really need to focus on slow...real slow.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

100% agree.  Unfortunately I’m still struggling with this. I’m sure my Evolvr instructor wishes he hadn’t gotten me...lol. I’m such a mess. Way too inside, flat..trail elbow in an awful position...trail hand comes off the club at top of my backswing...years and years of massive compensations. Really need to focus on slow...real slow.

One good thing I can say about doing the backswing slow… is that at least you can still make a fast downswing. So it's not too bad, generally speaking.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Stick with it. Some changes take a lot longer.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

One good thing I can say about doing the backswing slow… is that at least you can still make a fast downswing. So it's not too bad, generally speaking.

This is true. Have you dealt with any student (s) who had the trail hand coming off? It’s practically become a trigger for me to start my down swing. I’m wondering if taking the club back slowly, making sure I maintain my grip ...then coming down will help me get used to having my trail hand firmly on the grip to eliminate the trigger.

9 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Stick with it. Some changes take a lot longer.

Definitely. I’m going to be patient. I really need a real time visual for me when I’m at the range. I damn near considered bringing my mirror out there..lol.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

This is true. Have you dealt with any student (s) who had the trail hand coming off? It’s practically become a trigger for me to start my down swing. I’m wondering if taking the club back slowly, making sure I maintain my grip ...then coming down will help me get used to having my trail hand firmly on the grip to eliminate the trigger.

Yeah, usually a result of:

• a bad grip or
  • lack of wrist flexibility or
  • taking the club back too far (by attempting to over-hinge the wrists)
  • The trail elbow getting too far around you and thus in an awkward position.

I've seen your Evolvr progress. You're making your way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 7 months later...

I have what might be yet another question I had yesterday.  I have been playing this around in my head and I realized I don't know, and I probably haven't consistently done either yes or no version of this in my practice time all these years.  Oh well, better late than never to get better at practicing. 

When exaggerating a move (as part of changing the picture), do I exaggerate it in both rehearsal swings and when attempting to hit the ball as well?  I believe the answer is yes to both, especially since when I'm practicing I should be attempting to hit the ball slowly. 

Another question, related:  my latest priority piece happens in the first half of the backswing.  Should I be practicing the whole swing slowly, or starting slowly to ensure I am doing this piece correctly, but at speed for the rest of it?  I don't have a belief one way or the other on what I even think that answer should be.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!