IGNORED

Tipping the Beer Cart girl

soup
Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Can you do this yourself? (Even if the answer is yes, no pictures please.)

rachel19.jpg

• Upvote 2

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never heard the double tax rule. Always thought the standard was 15%.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Usually the rule is double tax, in larger cities it's rises to 15% - 20%, but that assumes good service.  If you're not happy with the service speak to a manager and leave a tip that is fair to the others people involved that did provide you good service.  In most cases when I have complained about the service, the manager offered a reduction in the bill and if the staff split the tips I'd leave a good tip for the others to split without any additional cost to myself.

The Clorox wipes must be for the stripper pole on the back of that cart.

Originally Posted by Stretch

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Very......perky.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by shades9323

I've never heard the double tax rule. Always thought the standard was 15%.

Right, and double tax works out to about 15% (in states that have sales tax, anyway). I guess it's just an easier way to figure the tip for the arithmetically challenged.

Bill

Forget everything I said, I WOULD tip her!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Right, and double tax works out to about 15% (in states that have sales tax, anyway). I guess it's just an easier way to figure the tip for the arithmetically challenged.

I live in MI, we only have 6% here. For the arithmetically challenged(my wife :ducks:) I tell them to use 20%. Easy math there.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Forget everything I said, I WOULD tip her!

Forget the tip, I would give her the whole thing!! :ducks again:

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by shades9323

I live in MI, we only have 6% here.   For the arithmetically challenged(my wife :ducks:) I tell them to use 20%. Easy math there

Yep, that "double the tax" rule really only works in places where the tax is about 7.5%, which it is in my area, which is probably the only reason why I've heard of the rule.

• Upvote 1

Bill

Originally Posted by Paradox

so now you're going to imply that I'm poor or lesser than?  YOU are the kind of customer I don't have and don't want..like I owe you something for being so "gracious" :)

Hey, I don't dis my gardener nor my housecleaner the way you dis your own customers.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Generosity...is definitely more admirable.

That your friend who makes 150k/yr wasn't is not a surprise.

Annual studies show that those in the middle of the middle class and lower income ranges consistently give a greater % of their $ away/year.

My only comment about tipping is that it should be for great service -- dislike those occasions when those in the service industry do a lousy job and then expect to be tipped the same as someone who did a great job.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by Grunnsetning

True but cocktail waitresses aren't in the direct sun on 100 degree days hehe

I'm not sure how it is at all courses but my daughter applied for a cart girl job at the local muni, and it turns out that all the cart girls there work on a "Volunteer" basis and the only money they make is from tips. Is it like this at most courses?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

• 5 months later...

Wow, my first post here and I'm going to jump off into the mud.  I am not a big fan of "tipping" anyone...regardless of their job.  When you take the job you know what you are going to be making.  If you are not satisified with the salary then don't take the job.  If people are making less than minimum wage and are willing to accept it then they just get less money.  If the employer cannot afford to pay a decent salary then they should raise the price on their items/services.

I will not buy from the cart girl/guy because of the inflated prices AND the expectation of a tip.  I think it is the tip portion that bothers me more than the inflated prices.

Also, I'm not going to pay $75 or more to play a round of golf.  It is just not worth it.  I could take my wife and kids out for the night with that much money.  I'll draw the line at $50 and still feel that that is a bit on the steep side.

Originally Posted by Shane77624

Wow, my first post here and I'm going to jump off into the mud.  I am not a big fan of "tipping" anyone...regardless of their job.  When you take the job you know what you are going to be making.  If you are not satisified with the salary then don't take the job.  If people are making less than minimum wage and are willing to accept it then they just get less money.  If the employer cannot afford to pay a decent salary then they should raise the price on their items/services.

I will not buy from the cart girl/guy because of the inflated prices AND the expectation of a tip.  I think it is the tip portion that bothers me more than the inflated prices.

Also, I'm not going to pay $75 or more to play a round of golf.  It is just not worth it.  I could take my wife and kids out for the night with that much money.  I'll draw the line at $50 and still feel that that is a bit on the steep side.

You dont tip your waiter, waiteress or bartender?  Like I said earlier in this thread, those people depend upon tips to make their living.  I dont go crazy tipping the cart girl but I do throw her a few bucks if the service is good.  The size of the tip is completely dependent upon the quality of service though.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I don't mean to be derogatory, but this thinking sounds naive.  It's generally accepted that specific service-based industries set wages at a certain level because it is generally accepted culture that they will make a significant amount of income on tips.  The question seems to be where the line is drawn in terms of what jobs deserve tips.

I absolutely hate seeing "tip" jars/cups at Subway shops and coffee shops near the cash register.  However, I generally try to always tip the cart girl, especially if I see her more than once during a round.  It's not always a lot though.

My question to anybody who has worked in a tip-based service industry: is there ever an occasion where a very small tip is more offensive than no tip at all?  Example: a 50 cent tip on a $3 cart purchase?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Wrong attitude.  When these people take these jobs they know that the wages suck but the tips will make up for it.  If you are going to buy from them you should tip... bottom line.  My general rule for tipping is a dollar a drink or 20% of the tab (whichever is higher).  There have been times that I don't leave tips, such as in a restaurant where I've received crappy service.  To me a tip is for doing your job and doing it well and there have been times where I feel that didn't happen so I didn't leave one.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by bplewis24

My question to anybody who has worked in a tip-based service industry: is there ever an occasion where a very small tip is more offensive than no tip at all?  Example: a 50 cent tip on a $3 cart purchase?

Brandon

I don't work in a tip-based service industry, but to me there is something wrong with a 50 cent tip... I mean, really what's another 50 cents; give them the full dollar.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

I don't work in a tip-based service industry, but to me there is something wrong with a 50 cent tip... I mean, really what's another 50 cents; give them the full dollar.

That works if you're paying via credit card or if u have a lot of paper currency, but I rarely carry much cash on me.  I've been in scenarios where I only have 3 dollar bills for a $2.50 purchase.  I'm too hesitant to say "keep the change" on $0.50, so I would just not leave a tip under those circumstances.  I don't want to offend a person, and it seems like it could.

In any event, the $0.50 thing is only an extreme example in an effort to try and figure out the threshold.  Yesterday, I left a $1 tip on a $2.50 purchase and I even wondered if a $1 tip is so insignificant to the point that the person wouldn't really even care about it.  That was while paying with a credit card.  I sometimes feel compelled to leave a minimum tip of $2-3 on any bill total under $15, no matter what % that turns out to be (as long as the service warrants it).

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!