IGNORED

Tipping the Beer Cart girl

soup
Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shane77624

Wow, my first post here and I'm going to jump off into the mud.  I am not a big fan of "tipping" anyone...regardless of their job.  When you take the job you know what you are going to be making.  If you are not satisified with the salary then don't take the job.  If people are making less than minimum wage and are willing to accept it then they just get less money.  If the employer cannot afford to pay a decent salary then they should raise the price on their items/services.

I will not buy from the cart girl/guy because of the inflated prices AND the expectation of a tip.  I think it is the tip portion that bothers me more than the inflated prices.

Also, I'm not going to pay $75 or more to play a round of golf.  It is just not worth it.  I could take my wife and kids out for the night with that much money.  I'll draw the line at $50 and still feel that that is a bit on the steep side.

I am guessing you're fairly young. That's an attitude shared by under-30's.

If you don't want to tip that's your prerogative. But in the case of a cart girl, she has provided a value-added service. She drove out to you & served you so your round wouldn't be interrupted.

Plus there's a good chance she's cute as hell. That's worth at least a buck from me.

No doubt tipping expectations have gotten out of hand but I still tip employees that are doing jobs serving me in which tips are generally expected.  I rarely buy from the cart girl (actually only one I will buy from) because I do not like paying $3-4 for something that costs $1 at the gas station across the street (which I usually stop at before a round to get water, Gatorade, whatever), but I WILL tip about 20% or a minimum of a dollar.  Example, if I buy a Snickers, I leave a dollar tip even though the candy only costs $1.

The cart girl I do buy from occasionally mentioned receiving a quarter tip for a $7 alcoholic drink.  That's BS.  If you are not willing to tip a fair amount, do not buy anything.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That works if you're paying via credit card or if u have a lot of paper currency, but I rarely carry much cash on me.  I've been in scenarios where I only have 3 dollar bills for a $2.50 purchase.  I'm too hesitant to say "keep the change" on $0.50, so I would just not leave a tip under those circumstances.  I don't want to offend a person, and it seems like it could.

While I've never been a cart girl, IMO, leaving a .50 tip for a 2.50 item is plenty.  The way I look at it, it took her a whole 3 seconds to hand you a candy bar, so it would be fine and I'm sure she would be grateful to even get a tip for just that item.  Now, if you were buying a bunch of drinks/items or had her mix you a drink, then .50 would be questionable.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I'd love to know what kind of quality of service we are expecting to warrant the $3 tip over just round up to the next dollar.

As for those who think that 50 cents is an insult, how so, when that times 20 is $10?

If people want to literally big note themselves with the so called "cart girl" good luck to them, but if you are sold something at a ridiculously inflated price and then feel the need to add a few dollars on top, more fool you.

And....sorry to tell you, but the "cart girl" doesn't think golfers are cool, unless you look like Camillo Villegas, so the $3 you give her because she's hot is getting you nowhere. Just don't pretend you're rewarding "excellent service" because she knows how to hand you a cold drink and accept your money.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I'm pretty sure the last cart girl I tipped gave me an extra special wink that was only for me.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Tipping is like being nice.  In the good-old US of A, there is no law requiring you to be nice, or to be good.  You can choose to be nice, you can choose to be a great tipper.  On the other hand, you can choose to be an a$$, and others may choose to not be around you.

I just read through this entire thread, and there was only one picture of a hot cart girl.  That's the real travesty.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shorty

If people want to literally big note themselves with the so called "cart girl" good luck to them, but if you are sold something at a ridiculously inflated price and then feel the need to add a few dollars on top, more fool you.

And....sorry to tell you, but the "cart girl" doesn't think golfers are cool, unless you look like Camillo Villegas, so the $3 you give her because she's hot is getting you nowhere. Just don't pretend you're rewarding "excellent service" because she knows how to hand you a cold drink and accept your money.

Agreed, it has nothing to do with sevice. I've played in outings with guys that tip the cart girl like that and then when it comes to the free bar at the happy hour following the round, just take their mixed drinks and run, leaving the bartender zilch.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Brian Egan

People that don't tip, typically have never worked in a tipping profession,  If i see stuff like that I will embarrass my friends and say what about the Tip?

The only time I'd ever call someone on their tipping habits is if it's a shared tab and someone puts in less than their fare share (i.e. they didn't even cover their portion of the bill  - before tip).  Embarassing a fellow golfer for something that's a personal choice is not a nice thing to do.

Not every interaction with a golf course employee requires a financial transaction. Sometimes things are expensive enough and if someone chooses to not make any purchases in order to not be gouged further, then everybody loses.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That's a good point, I don't see golfers go out of their way to tip the guys that load their bags onto the back of a golf cart the way they do the beer cart girls.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Not every interaction with a golf course employee requires a financial transaction. Sometimes things are expensive enough and if someone chooses to not make any purchases in order to not be gouged further, then everybody loses.

Joe Paradiso

If its the restaurants way of getting around paying there employees more, with regards to tips, then thats the employees problem for working there. They should know that they might get tipped or they might not. I can count on my hand the number of times i have never given a tip, and i usually tip well. I like good service at a restaurant, as well as people who deliver food to my door. But to expect a tip, that is rude and i will not tip them.

As for the cart girl, depends on what i buy and how much, but usually its 50 cents to 2 buck tip most of the time, depending on how much cash i have.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Agreed, it has nothing to do with sevice. I've played in outings with guys that tip the cart girl like that and then when it comes to the free bar at the happy hour following the round, just take their mixed drinks and run, leaving the bartender zilch.

My home course seems to have found the solution to this problem: the lady that works at the bar is just as hot as the girls who drive the carts.  There are two main bartenders, and they are both lovely ladies.  They also work the carts during the week when it's slow, I think.

After the regulars finish their rounds, they hang at the bar for what seems like hours (I see them before I start my round and I can see them in their at the turn).

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by newtogolf

That's a good point, I don't see golfers go out of their way to tip the guys that load their bags onto the back of a golf cart the way they do the beer cart girls.

I do... at my home course, the guys in the cart barn that load/unload the clubs or clean off the clubs usually get a tip...  Usually it's to the guy who is cleaning them and then bringing them back upstairs for you, but it all works out because those guys do a little bit of everything during the day. The thing is I don't like tipping these guys because it adds up and I'm at the course all the time... that's why I normally carry my clubs down myself and back up to my car and I clean them as I go before I get back to the cart barn so that they don't.  I feel like I don't use their service and so I don't tip for it.  On the occasion that I do use their service, I do tip for it.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I tip acording to the service provided, not according to the cost of the item I purchased. It takes no more effort to open the cooler lid and grab a a couple beers than a couple cans of Pepsi, so why would we be expected to tip more? Conversely if someone makes the effort to swing back and bring me another bag of Cheezies on the home stretch, that's tipworthy!! Same goes for restaurants. Does the server delivering the filet mignon work harder than the one toting grilled cheese sandwiches? I tend to tip a higher percentage at Swiss Chalet or Smitty's because they make more miles and have more #^@# to put up with.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

In Quebec (not sure if this is a federal or provincial thing) the governement decided years ago that they were missing the boat on tipping so they started taxing servers on their tips. How does the Government know what amount you're being tipped, you might ask? They don't, so they just tax all servers as if they are making a minimum of 15% (just guessing on the amount here). What this means is that if you are not tipping someone who work's in the hospitality business you're not just putting less money in their pockets, you're actually taking money out of their pockets as they will be taxed on the hypothetical tip that you did not give them. Of course crappy service deserves whatever it gets.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by El Mucho

Pretty sure that is a Quebec thing, never heard anyone complaining about it in Manitoba.

Probably is. Quebec is the highest taxed province in the country and they are pretty creative/innovative in finding ways to grow their business. We also get taxed on our taxes, they accomplish this by calculating provincial sales tax on the total after the federal sales tax has been applied . LOL.

When you get your bill in a restaurant it's almost like there is someone else sitting at the table with you!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!