IGNORED

Why do people lie so much about their distance?

Paiste
Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most courses I play have a Senior tee as well, four sets in total.  Unless you consistently hit 250+ drives, you are really hurting yourself playing the tips IMO.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I personally think that courses should offer at minimum 5 sets of tees for the golfers. If a hole can't accommodate all 5 then pair some up. I've seen par 3's before were the blues and whites were the same spot. Some courses you get a HUGE gap between tips and the next set of tees up. I think if there are more options, people will find their fit.

I do think a problem is that people don't want to tee up differently than who they play with. I routinely play shorter because my dad can't play from the tips. I just rather play from the same tees as my dad does.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The tee-it-forward thing is kind of funny. I'm definitely not good, so the tips aren't even a thought. However, I'd never consider playing from the ladies tees either. White tees only for me. That, of course, works better on some courses than others.

Yes, "white tees" are the standard tees. Speaking from experience, I know that even without a decent swing that some people can still par them because they are within range of your shorter clubs.

Just to be clear, I hit pretty respectable distances, and also prefer to use the standard tees. Many other lower handicap golfers also prefer to do the same. It's definitely not more "macho" to hit from the back tees if you're searching for your ball in the rough most of the time. Any partner is going to wonder why you don't move forward. However, when I play with my son we shoot from the blue tees only because he competes for his high school, and I would still insist on playing from the standard tees if I were not able get within 20 yards of the greens after the second shot.

Ladies tees are a potential problem the other way, but might not be a bad idea if you are practicing short wedges for your approach. I played one of them the other day with my daughter (who also normally plays the standard tees), after I pulled (<8 degrees, off?) my 5i 178 yards into water. It's nice teeing up 50 yards closer for a soft 9i onto the green now and then.

So, playing shorter is not playing less "macho", it's smarter.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I personally think that courses should offer at minimum 5 sets of tees for the golfers. If a hole can't accommodate all 5 then pair some up. I've seen par 3's before were the blues and whites were the same spot. Some courses you get a HUGE gap between tips and the next set of tees up. I think if there are more options, people will find their fit.

I do think a problem is that people don't want to tee up differently than who they play with. I routinely play shorter because my dad can't play from the tips. I just rather play from the same tees as my dad does.

I think the more challenging ones do have many sets of tees. If you need to make specific distances to stay on the course, more tees are offered.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think that really depends on the course. Old courses don't need 5 sets of tees - the tips usually play under 7000 yards. New or renovated courses over 7200 yards should offer 5 sets and recommend playing a specific set of tees based on your handicap. I've played a couple of courses that do this. For example, Saratoga National tells you what tees you should play from on their scorecard.

This way, you (hopefully) get less 15 handicappers playing from the tips, and it really speeds up play.

I think that really depends on the course. Old courses don't need 5 sets of tees - the tips usually play under 7000 yards. New or renovated courses over 7200 yards should offer 5 sets and recommend playing a specific set of tees based on your handicap. I've played a couple of courses that do this. For example, Saratoga National tells you what tees you should play from on their scorecard.

Okay, I like the "Preferred" or "Preferred Plus". I probably could play the "Championship" based upon my yardages, but it would be a pretty grueling day.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So, playing shorter is not playing less "macho", it's smarter.

Or IMO, more fun.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Ya i have hit a pw close to 170 before but that was down hill down wind swinging all out. But unlike others I don't say that's my pw distance it's more on the lines of maybe 125-130

people lie, or exagerate, due to one reason: self importance. Some call it ego,but it's the same. "Don't think more highly of yourself (or your results) than you ought to" .....sound advice from 2000 yrs ago. honesty and integrity are the ultimate assets to posses, even beyond the ability to hit 300 yd drives.

it' really is a Spiritual issue.

I think a lot of people honestly just don't know how far they hit.

My friend thinks he hits his drive 250+ but its more like 220.  He isn't lying about it on purpose, but just doesn't have a good sense for how far 250 yards really is.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I think a lot of people honestly just don't know how far they hit. My friend thinks he hits his drive 250+ but its more like 220.  He isn't lying about it on purpose, but just doesn't have a good sense for how far 250 yards really is.

Most of the hole yardages, that I have played, are 30 yards shorter anyway. Maybe the fault could be some of the courses putting incorrect yardages?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Most of the hole yardages, that I have played, are 30 yards shorter anyway. Maybe the fault could be some of the courses putting incorrect yardages?

I am lucky if my course has any yardage markers outside of the teebox...  No sprinkler heads have them and the 150 markers are rarely useful for my shots.

I am gonna track my shots with a GPS to try and get a better understanding of my true distance.

Tony  

I think a lot of people honestly just don't know how far they hit.

My friend thinks he hits his drive 250+ but its more like 220.  He isn't lying about it on purpose, but just doesn't have a good sense for how far 250 yards really is.

Or, it could be a denial.   There are 5 stages to this: denial (my drive is 250+ yards :banana: ), anger (why I can't hit too far :censored: ), bargaining (if I get a new shaft, I can hit 250 :doh: ), depression (god, why I suck at this :cry: ), and acceptance (I can hit 220 and distance doesn't really matter :surrender: ).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Or, it could be a denial.   There are 5 stages to this: denial (my drive is 250+ yards  ), anger (why I can't hit too far ), bargaining (if I get a new shaft, I can hit 250  ), depression (god, why I suck at this ), and acceptance (I can hit 220 and distance doesn't really matter ).

Could be...

I also think people hear about 300 yard drives so often, people that don't really follow golf too closely, they assume that's what all Drivers should be.

Tony  

I can track my shots with a yard stick....

You would be flipping that baby an awful lot of times. ;-)

Just don't slow down play too much when you do. Lol :-$

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Well, I think after I get my new irons, I'm gonna invest in a good range finder, so I'll Know what my exact yardages are.

Then I'll just add 10 yards to each club.. :-$

Well, I think after I get my new irons, I'm gonna invest in a good range finder, so I'll Know what my exact yardages are.

. . .

Then I'll just add 10 yards to each club..

As long as it goes beyond your vision, I think you're good. Just hit it straight. ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!