IGNORED

Do You Have Concealed Carry Permit...

DoubleEagle
Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@newtogolf , (and @JetFan1983 )  I know it's wikipedia, but here is the info I got on private businesses.  It's only in some states, and New York isn't one of them, so you might be right about your area, but in 20 of them, its a lot more stringent than them just asking you to leave ...

Quote:

"Opt-out" statutes ("gun-free zones") [ edit ]

Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, [62] Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin all allow private businesses to post a specific sign (language and format vary by state) prohibiting concealed carry, violation of which, in some of these states, is grounds for revocation of the offender's concealed carry permit and criminal prosecution. Other states, such as Virginia, enforce only trespassing laws when a person violates a "Gun Free Zone" sign. By posting the signs, businesses create areas where it is illegal to carry a concealed handgun similar to regulations concerning schools, hospitals, and public gatherings. In addition to signage, virtually all jurisdictions allow some form of oral communication by the lawful owner or controller of the property that a person is not welcome and should leave. This notice can be given to anyone for any reason (except for statuses that are protected by the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other CRAs, such as race), including due to the carrying of firearms by that person, and refusal to heed such a request to leave may constitute trespassing. In some jurisdictions trespass by a person carrying a firearm may have more severe penalties than "simple" trespass, while in other jurisdictions, penalties are lower than for trespass. [63]

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@newtogolf , (and @JetFan1983)  I know it's wikipedia, but here is the info I got on private businesses.  It's only in some states, and New York isn't one of them, so you might be right about your area, but in 20 of them, its a lot more stringent than them just asking you to leave ...

Admittedly I didn't look up every state but I knew in a fair number of states, especially in Virginia (since I lived there for 10 years), that the violation would be trespass if one refused to store their weapon or leave.

I don't have a CC permit in NY or even a pistol permit (not worth the hassle) but I do have a Mossberg shotgun, a home security system with motion sensor lights & video surveillance and legal pepper spray to protect my home and family.  Pistols are great if people know how to use them, shotguns (while larger) don't require as much skill to hit a target that is close in proximity.  People should protect their property and family by any means necessary when threatened.

Joe Paradiso

Admittedly I didn't look up every state but I knew in a fair number of states, especially in Virginia (since I lived there for 10 years), that the violation would be trespass if one refused to store their weapon or leave.

I don't have a CC permit in NY or even a pistol permit (not worth the hassle) but I do have a Mossberg shotgun, a home security system with motion sensor lights & video surveillance and legal pepper spray to protect my home and family.  Pistols are great if people know how to use them, shotguns (while larger) don't require as much skill to hit a target that is close in proximity.  People should protect their property and family by any means necessary when threatened.

My wife has pepper spray at all times when she leaves our home. And two big dogs, a home security system and a baseball bat are all I think we need at home. Statisitcs show that there is a chance that somebody you know and love is exponentially more likely to be the victim of gun violence when there is a gun in the home.

Bill M

My wife has pepper spray at all times when she leaves our home. And two big dogs, a home security system and a baseball bat are all I think we need at home. Statisitcs show that there is a chance that somebody you know and love is exponentially more likely to be the victim of gun violence when there is a gun in the home.

We have gone over this a bunch, read the rest of the thread. It is not that simple.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

@Golfingdad , appreciate the info, as well as the overall discussion from everyone else today.

Holding off for the time being on a conceal carry permit. Renting at the gun range once in a while is still a blast. When that wears off, I'll reevaluate things :-D

Constantine

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

My wife has pepper spray at all times when she leaves our home. And two big dogs, a home security system and a baseball bat are all I think we need at home. Statisitcs show that there is a chance that somebody you know and love is exponentially more likely to be the victim of gun violence when there is a gun in the home.

Originally Posted by cipher

We have gone over this a bunch, read the rest of the thread. It is not that simple.

To me it is. I have been on this planet for over 60 years and I don't personally know anybody who has been physically harmed in a home invasion. And besides the accepted statistics, I personally know of three episodes of gun violence in the home of people that I know and they all were to friends and family.

If I ever lived in an area that I considered dangerous I may have considered it, but I certainly did not want any guns in the house when the kids were growing up and living in my home. I don't feel the need to carry either and there is nothing in my personal experience with friends and family that would make me feel different.

To each his own, you are welcome to do what you want if the law allows. I'm not out to suspend the second amendment. I just don't like guns and I believe that my home is as safe as anybody's.

Bill M

If I ever lived in an area that I considered dangerous I may have considered it, but I certainly did not want any guns in the house when the kids were growing up and living in my home. I don't feel the need to carry either and there is nothing in my personal experience with friends and family that would make me feel different.

To each his own, you are welcome to do what you want if the law allows. I'm not out to suspend the second amendment. I just don't like guns and I believe that my home is as safe as anybody's.

This is me to a tee as well. :)

Just saw this online while looking for fire news (a new one - I think - just popped up near our office) ...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/concealed-614505-sheriff-weapon.html

Quote:

This is me to a tee as well. :)

Just saw this online while looking for fire news (a new one - I think - just popped up near our office) ...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/concealed-614505-sheriff-weapon.html

So would either of you have an issue if your neighbor had a sign like this.  Other than the banning part.  I realize both of you stated that you do not want to ban guns, simply that you do not care for them.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

@Golfingdad , appreciate the info, as well as the overall discussion from everyone else today.

Holding off for the time being on a conceal carry permit. Renting at the gun range once in a while is still a blast. When that wears off, I'll reevaluate things

Yeah, think about every angle of it.  It is not something anyone should take lightly, or do it because they think it is cool.  I am not saying BTW that you are that person.  Target shooting is a lot of fun.  Having a CC permit is not really very fun.  It is another entire level of responsibility that is a burden.   Why?  Because you are responsible to practice and maintain an impeccable level of safe handling and caution ALL THE TIME.  Should something ever happen you have a responsibility to those around you to act, and to know exactly what you are doing when you do act.  I will say it again, it is a burden, but for many like myself it is a necessary one.  I am responsible for the safety and the environment of around 30 people each day.  I would not be able forgive myself knowing that I could have been able to act and was not able to.

To me it is. I have been on this planet for over 60 years and I don't personally know anybody who has been physically harmed in a home invasion. And besides the accepted statistics, I personally know of three episodes of gun violence in the home of people that I know and they all were to friends and family.

That is just fine by me.   And you are probably right about your home, however two dogs, a home security system and a baseball bat are still no match for one shotgun.  But again, statistically speaking in general definitions, you are probably right.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Interesting that an ad for "Concealed Carry Report" appears at the side of this thread on my computer. The interwebs are really something.

Bill M

Quote:

So would either of you have an issue if your neighbor had a sign like this.  Other than the banning part.  I realize both of you stated that you do not want to ban guns, simply that you do not care for them.

I don't understand your point, or if you even have one with regard to what I said.

Bill M

I don't understand your point, or if you even have one with regard to what I said.

Mty thoughts exactly.  I don't get it.

(For the record, if my neighbor put up a sign like that, I'd wrestle his gun out of his hand and shoot him in the face with it.  Then say "Good day sir" and walk away.) :-P

Mty thoughts exactly.  I don't get it.

(For the record, if my neighbor put up a sign like that, I'd wrestle his gun out of his hand and shoot him in the face with it.  Then say "Good day sir" and walk away.)

The guy would just find his sign missing. Have no clue where it went :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So if you knew someone that was a victim of a home invasion would your feelings change?

I don't see the point, I don't know anyone that has died of AIDS so does that mean I shouldn't educate my children about safe sex or problems associated with intravenous drug use?  If one lives in a decent neighborhood and lives a uneventful life there's likely not a need for a firearm but if you wait for a reason to need one, it may be too late for you to ever do anything about it.

Joe Paradiso

To answer the question ... No I do not carry ... But do own guns within my home I also avoid places that people tend carry a lot ... Like Walmart ... Last thing I want is for a guy who thinks he going save all of us to start spewing bullets too ... Never been in a situation that requires a civilian to start shooting and I honestly doubt I will be ... But if I was, I like my chances of knowing where the danger is and not have a second shooter, who probably can't hit his target anyway ... Now venture in a mans house, and I have different view ... With that said, a gun toting person will not change the mind of the non-toting and vise-a-versa Especially within a virtual golf forum ... Sort like religion and politics discussion

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

[QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/74198/do-you-have-concealed-carry-permit/150_30#post_990775"]   So would either of you have an issue if your neighbor had a sign like this.  Other than the banning part.  I realize both of you stated that you do not want to ban guns, simply that you do not care for them. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/97968/] [/URL] [/QUOTE] [QUOTE name="phan52" url="/t/74198/do-you-have-concealed-carry-permit/150_30#post_990779"]   I don't understand your point, or if you even have one with regard to what I said. [/QUOTE] Mty thoughts exactly.  I don't get it. (For the record, if my neighbor put up a sign like that, I'd wrestle his gun out of his hand and shoot him in the face with it.  Then say "Good day sir" and walk away.):-P

It was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. I would never put up a sign like that. Just posted it because you had mentioned your house was as safe as anybody's. @Golfing Dad Moving up from punching in the face to shooting in the face. See what a slippery slope you started on. :)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

@Golfing Dad

Moving up from punching in the face to shooting in the face. See what a slippery slope you started on. :)

Ha! Busted!

:-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

So if you knew someone that was a victim of a home invasion would your feelings change?

I don't see the point, I don't know anyone that has died of AIDS so does that mean I shouldn't educate my children about safe sex or problems associated with intravenous drug use?  If one lives in a decent neighborhood and lives a uneventful life there's likely not a need for a firearm but if you wait for a reason to need one, it may be too late for you to ever do anything about it.

That's a game we could both play because what kind of regrets would you have is somebody you know and love was accidently a victim of gun violence because you have a gun in your home. The chances are much higher of that happening than me being a victim of a home invasion.

If forty years there has been one murder in my township that was the result of a home invasion. And that wasn't a case of somebody randomly entering a home to rob them, It was a case of a person being targeted in a business dispute. I don't know how many accidents and/or suicides there have been with guns over that time. I just know there have been a lot.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!