IGNORED

2014 NFL Draft Tonight!

Spyder
Note: This thread is 3638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Brady Quinn and Brandon Weedon were also drafted in the 22 spot.  Let's hope 3rd times the charm...

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The honeymoon is over as Chip Kelly is under fire in Philly today. He passed on some decent players at 22 to trade down, and then passed on some more to take a player (Marcus Smith, LB/DE Louisville) who he probably could have got with his second pick. Even if Smith was his guy, Kelly probably could have traded down again into the second round and got him, plus some added value with another pick. Minnesota was dying to get into the first round to take Bridgewater and I would have raped them for that pick at 26.

Still need WR, safety and CB and there were good ones available at both 22 and 26. We'll see how this shakes out, as they have three picks in the next two rounds.

Bill M

And so I am one happy guy in Cleveland today, as is the whole city! Johnny Football to C-Town! Hell yeah!

Not only that, but he's taken at 22 after a genius trade down+trade up scenario which netted us another 1st round pick in 2015. Ray Farmer is either a genius, or he had a leprechaun holding a horseshoe and a rabbit foot camping out in his sphincter.

The only thing I don't like, is the fact that he went to that division. If you think Johnny Football will get away doing Johnny Football things against the defenses (more specifically the talented LB's) of the AFC North (CIN, PIT, BAL) you are sorely mistaken. He has A LOT of developing to go this the next 3 months. I hope it works out. I like JFF, but I don't think it's going to work. I predict the CLE Browns will be searching for their 20th QB in the 2015 draft. I don't mean to rain on your parade. I would have liked to see him go to Minnesota.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

I saw a few mock drafts that had the Bills looking at a QB, which seemed insane to me. I think EJ Manuel has a chance to be really good if. It seems like the consensus among Pats fans and local writers is that they'll end up taking a TE in the first round, but most national guys have them looking more towards the d-line and linebackers. Frankly, I don't have a clue. It seems just as likely they'll take an o-lineman or even Teddy Bridgewater if he drops that far. (My guess is that he gets taken somewhere before 25 or so, but he's fallen so far recently, you never know.) I doubt they'll take a DB that high, and I don't think they'll take a WR or a RB before the third round or so, but aside from that it seems wide open. EDIT: I actually just read a report that the Patriots are semi-close to a deal with the Texans that would send the Texans Ryan Mallett. I guess that makes sense, there were always rumors that O'Brian liked Mallett way more than Belichick. Maybe he's not the talent that some of the consensus top guys this year are, but he's got three years of sitting behind Brady under his belt, so that might mean something. That would give the Texans Clowney at number one and a new QB, and supposedly give the Patriots a late round pick and a reason to take a QB.

No Mallett trade, but I can live with Easley. Seems like kind of a reach at 29 though, and the injury history is scary.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The honeymoon is over as Chip Kelly is under fire in Philly today. He passed on some decent players at 22 to trade down, and then passed on some more to take a player (Marcus Smith, LB/DE Louisville) who he probably could have got with his second pick. Even if Smith was his guy, Kelly probably could have traded down again into the second round and got him, plus some added value with another pick. Minnesota was dying to get into the first round to take Bridgewater and I would have raped them for that pick at 26.

Still need WR, safety and CB and there were good ones available at both 22 and 26. We'll see how this shakes out, as they have three picks in the next two rounds.

First of all, Chip Kelly does not call the shots on who gets drafted. That's the GM's job. Chip Kelly only makes recommendations on who he wants.

They got a value pick by trading the 22nd pick to CLE by getting an early 3rd (pick 36) and only moving down 4 spots while still taking the guy they believed to be their most needed. And guess what, it's the right pick. You have all those offensive weapons and a really strong offensive line. Name me one good player who can get after the QB on defense.

Every team still needs something. I'm a Texans fan. I say we take Marqise Lee and secure another WR because Andre Johnson is 33 and spends a lot of time hurt. Our #2 (DeAndre Hopkins) is good, but only a sophomore. Our #3 and beyond are practice squad guys. With the next pick, take QB Tom Savage from Pitt.

I don't know why you mentioned Minnesota. They played no part in any trade with PHI. Minnesota was at 8 picking Anthony Barr who will be the Defensive Rookie of the Year. They moved up from the 2nd round into the 32nd pick with Seattle to secure a QB, Teddy Bridgewater.

Dylan

I'm content with what the Jets did. They got a quality safety they can plug in right away.

The Browns really did good to add a 2015 1st and 4th rounder along with the Bills' 9th overall pick... I dunno if Manziel will be good, but they made a great move here by trading down from 1.4 IMO.

Constantine

Brady Quinn and Brandon Weedon were also drafted in the 22 spot.  Let's hope 3rd times the charm...

I'm not so sure Johnny Football can cut it in the NFL.  Brady Quinn, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Vince Young, and Blaine Gabbert to name a few were heralded and turned out to be busts.  I also think Manziel will have a tough time going against the Browns division rivals, but we'll see.  If I were the Browns I'd have considered Bridgewater first but I think they wanted the hype of Johnny Football to put people in the seats.

Joe Paradiso

I'm content with what the Jets did. They got a quality safety they can plug in right away.

The Browns really did good to add a 2015 1st and 4th rounder along with the Bills' 9th overall pick... I dunno if Manziel will be good, but they made a great move here by trading down from 1.4 IMO.

Ya I agree, however I thought they were going to take FSU WR Benjamin. That kid is a monster. CAR stole that kid. He will be a beast in the NFL

Dylan

I wasn't happy about the Bills' trade at first, mostly because they gave up so much.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Watkins is a stud by all accounts and should help Manuel develop.  They have a good running game, and an good defense, adding a stud WR makes sense.
Unless they ditch Stevie Johnson.  ****.  That's what they're doing.  Classic Bills move.  I should have seen this coming.  Use the draft to replace good players, not to fill in holes or build a wider base of talent.  never get better.  Just hover at 6 wins.  So basically they give up 2 first round picks and Stevie Johnson for Sammy Watkins and whatever they'd get in return for him.   Ugh.  That's what they're doing.  I know it.
The more I think about it, the more I hate it.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

First of all, Chip Kelly does not call the shots on how gets drafted. That's the GM's job. Chip Kelly only makes recommendations on who he wants.

They got a value pick by trading the 22nd pick to CLE by getting an early 3rd (pick 36) and only moving down 4 spots while still taking the guy they believed to be their most needed. And guess what, it's the right pick. You have all those offensive weapons and a really strong offensive line. Name me one good player who can get after the QB on defense.

Offensive weapons?  I wouldn't consider any WR on this roster a weapon;

16 Smith, Brad WR ACT 6'2" 213 12/12/1983 9 Missouri
14 Cooper, Riley WR ACT 6'3" 222 9/9/1987 5 Florida
89 Cunningham, B.J. WR ACT 6'1" 215 5/29/1989 1 Michigan State
13 Johnson, Damaris WR ACT 5'8" 175 11/22/1989 3 Tulsa
18 Maclin, Jeremy WR ACT 6'0" 198 5/11/1988 6 Missouri
88 Maehl, Jeff WR ACT 6'0" 185 3/16/1989 2 Oregon
Momah, Ifeanyi WR ACT 6'7" 239 10/23/1989 0 Boston College

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

First of all, Chip Kelly does not call the shots on who gets drafted. That's the GM's job. Chip Kelly only makes recommendations on who he wants.

That's not true. Kelly calls the shots. This is pretty widely known. The GM, Howie Roseman is more of an advisor to Kelly.

Constantine

I wasn't happy about the Bills' trade at first, mostly because they gave up so much.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Watkins is a stud by all accounts and should help Manuel develop.  They have a good running game, and an good defense, adding a stud WR makes sense.

Unless they ditch Stevie Johnson.  ****.  That's what they're doing.  Classic Bills move.  I should have seen this coming.  Use the draft to replace good players, not to fill in holes or build a wider base of talent.  never get better.  Just hover at 6 wins.  So basically they give up 2 first round picks and Stevie Johnson for Sammy Watkins and whatever they'd get in return for him.   Ugh.  That's what they're doing.  I know it.

The more I think about it, the more I hate it.

Best trade of the night. BUF needs WR so bad it isn't funny. Sammy Watkins will be a star. They only have 1 WR, Steve Johnson. How are there no holes? That was an awesome trade up, and I think in 5 months, you are really going to love it.

Dylan

That's not true. Kelly calls the shots. This is pretty widely known. The GM, Howie Roseman is more of an advisor to Kelly.

Well, I disagree. Chip Kelly knows as much about defense as Tiger Woods knows about having a faithful marriage. That call came from somewhere else to fill a desperate need at LB. Did the DC, GM, LB Coach make that call? PHI will get what they need eventually.

Dylan

Offensive weapons?  I wouldn't consider any WR on this roster a weapon;

Smith, Brad

WR

ACT

6'2"

12/12/1983

Missouri

Cooper, Riley

WR

ACT

6'3"

9/9/1987

Florida

Cunningham, B.J.

WR

ACT

6'1"

5/29/1989

Michigan State

Johnson, Damaris

WR

ACT

5'8"

11/22/1989

Tulsa

Maclin, Jeremy

WR

ACT

6'0"

5/11/1988

Missouri

Maehl, Jeff

WR

ACT

6'0"

3/16/1989

Oregon

Momah, Ifeanyi

WR

ACT

6'7"

10/23/1989

Boston College

Jeremy Maclin had a rough year, but he is still a good WR. Riley Cooper showed he can be pretty good. They will take a WR in the 2nd I believe. I didn't say they didn't have other needs. I said they had no one to rush the passer. You have to remember supply and demand here. LB were flying off the board. 3 WR 0 RB 3 QB 2 TE 3 OT were taken in the 1st round.

Dylan

No Mallett trade, but I can live with Easley. Seems like kind of a reach at 29 though, and the injury history is scary.

Allegedly, the Seahawks' coaching staff packed up shop and prepared to trade their 1st rounder after Easley was picked. If that's true, I'd say it's a great endorsement of Easley. [quote name="dbrock504" url="/t/74420/2014-nfl-draft-tonight/18#post_987931"]Best trade of the night. BUF needs WR so bad it isn't funny. Sammy Watkins will be a star. They only have 1 WR, Steve Johnson. How are there no holes? That was an awesome trade up, and I think in 5 months, you are really going to love it. [/quote] What happened to Woods?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Well, I disagree. Chip Kelly knows as much about defense as Tiger Woods knows about having a faithful marriage. That call came from somewhere else to fill a desperate need at LB. Did the DC, GM, LB Coach make that call? PHI will get what they need eventually.

Please use multi-quotes when posting.

It's not something you can agree or disagree with. Kelly calls the shots for Philly.

Constantine

What happened to Woods?

Nothing happened to him, he just isn't great talent. Decent, ya ok, but not Sammy Watkins talent. BUF has not had a true #1 WR

Dylan

Jeremy Maclin had a rough year, but he is still a good WR. Riley Cooper showed he can be pretty good. They will take a WR in the 2nd I believe. I didn't say they didn't have other needs. I said they had no one to rush the passer. You have to remember supply and demand here. LB were flying off the board. 3 WR 0 RB 3 QB 2 TE 3 OT were taken in the 1st round.

Agree if Maclin can stay healthy he has potential to be a good #2 WR.  Cooper benefitted from Jackson getting double teamed a lot, I'd want to see how he does post-Jackson before calling him a weapon.   Jet's are also going to be looking for a WR and CB's, should be an interesting 2nd round.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!