IGNORED

My first US Open Qualifier experience

phillyk
Note: This thread is 2688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I personally don't know any golfers +2 or better, but I know one who is a +1.  He basically plays the same 2 courses all of the time.  Just the other day he shot an 88 on one of those 2 courses in perfect weather, normal course conditions, and with nothing on the line.  Just a round with buddy's. How is it so impossible to believe that a +2 cant shoot 90 on a course that has tough scoring conditions and that he is unfamiliar with?

Thanks phillyk for posting your experience, even though it was a bad one.

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just the other day he shot an 88 on one of those 2 courses in perfect weather, normal course conditions, and with nothing on the line.  Just a round with buddy's.

ANSWER:

Because he isn't a + 1 handicap. Again DIY BS.  (Insert broken record emoticon here. Sorry)

You don't post those scores in perfect conditions on a familiar course.  And the course familiarity thing is usually overstated anyway.

A +1 could certainly do that on a tough course in tough conditions.  It does happen.

Once again we have this issue where people on this site have very little comprehension of how good a player has to be to maintain a GENUINE low handicap.

Yes, it is possible for a + handicapper to have a bad day, it happens all the time. But there is some sort of limit, don't you think.

The issue with the OP was that there were accompanying  issues such as non conforming wedges where he apparently didn't even know there was such a thing.

+ handicappers aren't all equipment freaks, but they certainly knew that they had to change their wedges a few years back.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I have played with him more than 10 times.

So he:

Mostly hits fairways,

Has a controlled baby draw or power fade that he hits at will and makes it look easy

Makes a genuine 10 marker look like  a rank beginner

Has a brilliant short game,

Basically makes very few mistakes and recovers almost every time when he does,

For any chip from within a few yards of the green ends up with  a tap in in 80% of the time and

Would consider a score of two over par a bad day on a reasonable course with a fair rating where 72 equates to 72?

Occasionally has a round of 4 or 5 under and

On his day has 6  or 7 birdies and just does everything perfectly and

Always seems to be in total control of the ball.......................................... Because that's what a +1 does

Yet shoots 88 in great conditions with his buddys? Nah.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The issue with the OP was that there were accompanying  issues such as non conforming wedges where he apparently didn't even know there was such a thing.

+ handicappers aren't all equipment freaks, but they certainly knew that they had to change their wedges a few years back.

You didn't have to change the wedges, what you're on right now is the internet.  I know how to use it to see whether my wedges were conforming or not through the USGA's conforming site.  You can also ask for the wedges to be tested, and guess what?  Mine conformed.  Maybe they shouldn't have conformed so I could've bought new wedges a while ago.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

@shorty is the only one on this site that knows what a +2 can do obviously.

Obviously. What is this "golf" you speak of?

That's not what I see. Looks like a couple low handicap members are looking for validation of their own games by running someone else down. People with legit reputations and experience in the golf industry have refuted everything you said. Only two people are in denial here.

Dave :-)

So he:

Mostly hits fairways,

Has a controlled baby draw or power fade that he hits at will and makes it look easy

For any chip from within a few yards of the green ends up with  a tap in in 80% of the time and

Would consider a score of two over par a bad day on a reasonable course with a fair rating where 72 equates to 72?

Always seems to be in total control of the ball.......................................... Because that's what a +1 does

Last time I played with him he hit every green, and shot a -6, 66, that day.  He missed quite a few birdie putts that were very make-able.  He also didn't make a bogey.  I don't know how he managed 88, but we do live in cold weather climate were we are lucky to play 6 months a year and we did have a long cold winter were he probably touched a club less than 6 times.  I'm not going to argue with you about it, but just out of curiosity, what is your worst score in the last 6 months?

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Yes, obviously because everyone else only thinks pros are with worshipping! I stand corrected, there are people who want to worship + handicaps too.. Hey I have a question, what about a +1.9, an forget it. What about a +1.8, oh wait I meant what about a +....... +.01 ? At what moment so they stop being the perfect neon that shorty mentioned above and turn to the normal human that can have a blow up round from hell?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

So he:

Mostly hits fairways,

Don't rag on @GHIN0011458 and @Shorty for this. Even I am starting to learn how to make these shots (as a 17 handicap) with some limited progress in that direction.

I figured most people playing golf need to start to learn to shape the ball below a 14 handicap. At least that's what everyone I meet tells me. Makes sense.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well first you have to learn them.. then you have to be able to do it 50 percent of the time.. then 75.. then 90.. then 95.. then 96... then you might be a +2.5

• Administrator
I figured most people playing golf need to start to learn to shape the ball below a 14 handicap. At least that's what everyone I meet tells me. Makes sense.

And depending on what you mean by that, you'd be wrong.

"Learning" HOW to shape the ball is easy.

But if you think most players shape the ball different ways all the time, you'd be wrong. Most good players hit their stock shot 95% of the time or more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And depending on what you mean by that, you'd be wrong. "Learning" HOW to shape the ball is easy. But if you think most players shape the ball different ways all the time, you'd be wrong. Most good players hit their stock shot 95% of the time or more.

QFT. I'm not all that good, but while I can make the ball go in either direction, if I'm choosing to hit something other than my stock shot shape, I probably did something dumb to put myself into a position to need to do so in the first place.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

QFT.

I'm not all that good, but while I can make the ball go in either direction, if I'm choosing to hit something other than my stock shot shape, I probably did something dumb to put myself into a position to need to do so in the first place.

First of all this does happen, but I have also been in many situations where it is questionable what to do off the tee.

Of course, I don't mean that people use shaped shots all the time, but they do come in handy. The way I currently extract myself I lose a shot.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

QFT.

I'm not all that good, but while I can make the ball go in either direction, if I'm choosing to hit something other than my stock shot shape, I probably did something dumb to put myself into a position to need to do so in the first place.

Yep more often than not I'm just trying to get the thing on the right line with good contact the shot shape is just there when I hit it well. Shaping the ball is for players below scratch for the most part not saying scratch players can't shape it cause they do but not nearly as proficient as guys in the + ranges.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Yep more often than not I'm just trying to get the thing on the right line with good contact the shot shape is just there when I hit it well. Shaping the ball is for players below scratch for the most part not saying scratch players can't shape it cause they do but not nearly as proficient as guys in the + ranges.

So, I guess the consensus is to lose a shot getting onto the fairway rather than attempt to go around trees? Unless, I'm a plus handicap?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2688 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!