IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does Jordan Spieth bitch after every bad shot? His attitude reminds me of Bubba, which is kind of annoying.

Is he? Dang, that's not a good sign for him. He usually becomes animated like that on the weekends, when in contention. If he's doing it already, he might be in for a short week.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is he? Dang, that's not a good sign for him. He usually becomes animated like that on the weekends, when in contention. If he's doing it already, he might be in for a short week.

I disagree. I think he's through with being overly humble. Some players hold back so much emotion that they appear to be cool and calm and collected, but inside they're raging. Hell, it's harder to keep emotions in check than it is to let loose on occasion and get over a shot/situation. There's nothing wrong with a short mutter after a shot. Seems to work pretty well for Bubba, right?

Besides, I think after his stint at Augusta, he's simply going to be more fired up and as a result he'll show a little more of his raw edge. That can be a good thing as well. I don't take his body language to be him beating himself up already by any means. It's way too early to think a player is on their way out because they're slightly more animated.

I think he will be right in it, he's a great player. I don't mind if you get mad at yourself and move on to your next shot, but I heard him complain about the camera man, the wind and the natural areas on 3 bad shots. He's young, and I like him, but I wish he wasn't such a whiner.

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

Has anyone else noticed the general lack of golf knowledge by a few of the ESPN commentators. I just heard them saying that you "can't move sand and loose soil through the green", which I'm pretty sure counts as just moving a loose impediment. I've also noticed them mixing up eagle putts with birdie putts. It may just be that I sort of prefer to watch the golf myself rather than hear people talking all over it, especially when the talk just seems off.

Who has the best name at the Open, Smylie Kaufman or Maverick McNealy?

It's hard to beat the name Maverick

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

It's hard to beat the name Maverick

Yeah but his brain might be making out checks his body can't cash. :-O

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Only complaint I would have with the setup is the waste areas are too playable. Not really much of a penalty for missing the fairway. Guys are getting great lies for missing the fairway by 30 yards. Of course, the hard conditions this week should still be enough to keep this course brutally tough. But I think if if we had rain combined with no penalties off the fairway, the guys would be tearing this course apart.

Other than that, the course is great. I love the brown areas off the side of the fairways and what they've done around the greens.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I just pulled up the live stream.How old is that Fitzpatrick? He looks like about 15?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I just pulled up the live stream.How old is that Fitzpatrick? He looks like about 15?

That's one baby-faced 19 year old.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Only complaint I would have with the setup is the waste areas are too playable. Not really much of a penalty for missing the fairway. Guys are getting great lies for missing the fairway by 30 yards. Of course, the hard conditions this week should still be enough to keep this course brutally tough. But I think if if we had rain combined with no penalties off the fairway, the guys would be tearing this course apart. Other than that, the course is great. I love the brown areas off the side of the fairways and what they've done around the greens.

When the greens firm up it should make the waste areas play a little tougher. I'm not sure how much spin they can get out of there.

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

When the greens firm up it should make the waste areas play a little tougher. I'm not sure how much spin they can get out of there.

Oh yeah, this is still going to be an Even Par or over par winning score despite the waste areas being playable. Imagine how tough this course might play, though, with Merion-style rough from last year. But it's only going to get tougher. I actually think the course is playing easier than the players think this morning and the guys are being overly cautious with their shots.

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

Has anyone else noticed the general lack of golf knowledge by a few of the ESPN commentators. I just heard them saying that you "can't move sand and loose soil through the green", which I'm pretty sure counts as just moving a loose impediment. I've also noticed them mixing up eagle putts with birdie putts.

Sand is a loose impediment only on the green. From the Definitions:

Quote:
Sand and loose soil are loose impediments on the putting green , but not elsewhere.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is this thing really a par 70 at that length, lol. I will never be on tour. :surrender: . Reminds me of the first time I watched the NFL draft and people being drafted were younger than me. Dreams killed.

James

McDowell is becoming one of the better US Open-caliber players of this generation. T-16 in 2009, Won in 2010, T-10 in '11, 2nd in 2012.....no surprise he's on top early this year.

I disagree. I think he's through with being overly humble. Some players hold back so much emotion that they appear to be cool and calm and collected, but inside they're raging. Hell, it's harder to keep emotions in check than it is to let loose on occasion and get over a shot/situation. There's nothing wrong with a short mutter after a shot. Seems to work pretty well for Bubba, right? Besides, I think after his stint at Augusta, he's simply going to be more fired up and as a result he'll show a little more of his raw edge. That can be a good thing as well. I don't take his body language to be him beating himself up already by any means. It's way too early to think a player is on their way out because they're slightly more animated.

Sure hope you're right. As it relates to today, you're definitely right, just now got to look, tied for the lead, yes!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Woah, super chunk by Rose.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Rose just made me feel 1000% better about my game...

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!