IGNORED

The Flat-Stick And You

Royster1984
Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

What do you do if you find that you're hitting them backwards?

Quit.

LOL, "quit" was all I saw in the preview on the "new posts" page and I thought, "Yes! Erik's finally gone off the deep end!" Then I clicked on it and saw it was a reply to @Golfingdad .... Damn it. Disappointed now.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LOL, "quit" was all I saw in the preview on the "new posts" page and I thought, "Yes! Erik's finally gone off the deep end!" Then I clicked on it and saw it was a reply to @Golfingdad .... Damn it. Disappointed now.

When I saw "Quit" I just figured that was pretty good advice. I've thought about taking that advice several times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

LOL, "quit" was all I saw in the preview on the "new posts" page and I thought, "Yes! Erik's finally gone off the deep end!" Then I clicked on it and saw it was a reply to @Golfingdad .... Damn it. Disappointed now.

When I saw "Quit" I just figured that was pretty good advice. I've thought about taking that advice several times.

Haha, bite your tongue! :-D

Constantine

Okay so let's not overthink this too much. You're having trouble starting putts on-line. Get two knitting needles and some elastic string. Make a line over your ball on the putting green. Hit balls that start straight up under the string. If you notice that you're pushing the ball try to hit them up the string. If you notice that you're pulling the ball, try to hit them up the string.

Thanks Erik.. Pretty simple way for start line testing/practice.. Do you have any quick and dirty advice for the other two keys? The new guy I'm introducing to golf is really struggling with his putting!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Personally, I found that people who "look up" to see where the ball is going usually do NOT start the putt on the intended line.  I used to be the same, until I concentrated on looking at the ball as I putt and keep my head down until well after I have putted.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

Thanks Erik.. Pretty simple way for start line testing/practice.. Do you have any quick and dirty advice for the other two keys? The new guy I'm introducing to golf is really struggling with his putting!

Putt to stop the ball at precise distances.

Take an AimPoint class.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not sure if this is relevant to this thread but here goes. I took a putting lesson last summer. The instructor had me go through my routine and watched a few putts. He walked to his bag of gizmos and pulled out an alignment stick. He asked me to setup hold it for a minute and just watch a couple of things. He put the rod against my shoulders first and then my hips noting the direction it pointed.  I was setting up open, really open. He grabbed me and basically turned me to close a bit and had me hit more putts, problem solved. I've read some famous instructors say a little open is okay but for me it meant making a stroke along my body lines and trying to square the face had the ball going all over the place. From there is was getting back to basics. I do distance control drills all the time rather than putt to holes. If I have a 3 putt it's more about the previous bad shot and the long difficult I left myself than anything.

Dave :-)

you said you have a "standard putter 35" long. blade style. is it centre shafted plumber neck heel hossle slightly toe weighted heavy toe hang? do you swing straight back and straight through or slight arc in your swing? all these can factor into missed putts more often then not. it could be that you just have a habit of breaking your wrists without you even knowing and thats causing the push/pull effect. bigger grips might help but not if your stroke doest fit your putter. all things to consider. sometimes its just a simple alignment you may think youre square to the ball but youre off a degree or 2 or 3. hope this helps

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

I'm a big proponent of left hand low.  I feel it helps get your shoulders lined up with the intended line better.  Than a simple rocking of the shoulders gets the putter back and forth on line.  For me, convention right hand low putting would tend to make me open up my stance and I would pull putts.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!