IGNORED

56* Sandwedge distance

BallMarker
Note: This thread is 3588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use a Cleveland 56* sand wedge.

When I catch it clean with this club I can get 90 - 95 yards on a calm day.

Is this about right for this club?

My driver club head swing is about 105.

Any thoughts?

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Sounds about right. My 57 is good for 85 yards. My driver speed is only about 100.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a Cleveland 56* sand wedge.

When I catch it clean with this club I can get 90 - 95 yards on a calm day.

Is this about right for this club?

My driver club head swing is about 105.

Any thoughts?

As I'm sure plenty of people will soon say, I don't think there is an "about right" for anyone.  It's pretty personal.  You and I could have the exact same swing speed, but you transfer the energy to the ball more efficiently, hit the center of the clubface, etc., and thus you get more distance. But, I get what you're asking.  I'm an 11 hdcp, driver swing speed pretty close to yours, and I carry a 54* sw.  On a full swing I probably carry it about 108-110, so take off the appropriate yardage for 2* of loft, and it's close.  That being said, I have a buddy who hits his 54* 120+.

Thanks y'all.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

Sounds about right. My 57 is good for 85 yards. My driver speed is only about 100.

Thanks.

You got one of those odd numbered wedge.  :-)

Thanks. You got one of those odd numbered wedge.  :-)

Yeah I have a couple of them. :)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

As I'm sure plenty of people will soon say, I don't think there is an "about right" for anyone.  It's pretty personal.  You and I could have the exact same swing speed, but you transfer the energy to the ball more efficiently, hit the center of the clubface, etc., and thus you get more distance. But, I get what you're asking.  I'm an 11 hdcp, driver swing speed pretty close to yours, and I carry a 54* sw.  On a full swing I probably carry it about 108-110, so take off the appropriate yardage for 2* of loft, and it's close.  That being said, I have a buddy who hits his 54* 120+.

Thanks.

I tried really hard to get it to go 100 yards, but I can't do it....unless a blade it....then it goes 130.....lol

Thanks.

I tried really hard to get it to go 100 yards, but I can't do it....unless a blade it....then it goes 130.....lol

I hear you.  A couple months ago my 54* maxed out at 100, and my 58* at 85ish.  Never actually tried to get more distance out of my wedges, it was just sort of a natural progression as I worked on weight transfer.  Didn't even know I'd gotten longer until I flew three straight ball over an elevated green from about 90ish out (used to always leave me about 5-10' under the pin).  Threw down 3 balls and tried with my lob wedge and all of a sudden it was clear that was now my 95-100 yard club.  I'm not a low single digit so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I will say I never, ever felt like I was swinging harder.  I improved my weight transfer.

Sounds about right to me I hit my 56 about 80 to 90 yd my swing speed is a little slower the your with driver

Thanks.

My problem is if I have 100, 105 or 110 to the hole, I don't have a club to hit comfortably. And I don't carry a 54*. And my 50* is usually too much.

So, I guess I need to throw down $120.00 and get a 54*. But I don't want to give up my trusty 56* to get out of the sand.

There's only so much room in my bag for wedges. :-\

My driver SS is 103 and my stock, full 56* is 85 yards. I seldom hit it full though.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My driver SS is 103 and my stock, full 56* is 85 yards. I seldom hit it full though.....

Yep all that matters is that you know the distance and you can count on it when needed.

Nate

I agree with some of the comments....the distance is irrelevant so long as you know how far you hit each of your wedges.   A full 56 flies about 100 for me, but more often than not, I'll play a gap wedge and take a little off depending on the shot at hand.  I get better overall results when accounting for the spin factor by playing less than full wedges.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

The distance for each club depends on the player.

My wedge distances are:

52* - 120-125

56* - 110-115

60* - 95

NOTE:  this is in Colorado

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My 56* gives 95-105 yards depending on how cleanly I strike it. My 52* is around 110-115. My 60* only goes about 80-85. If I try to hit it harder it just goes higher and more often than not, shorter.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It doesn't matter what's "right", as far as I can see. All that matters is that you know how far you hit each club and play accordingly.
  • Upvote 1

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

It doesn't matter what's "right", as far as I can see. All that matters is that you know how far you hit each club and play accordingly.

Yup. Don't worry about how your distance compares to other people's. Find your distance, then dial it in and make it consistent. If you need to hit it longer, just grab another club.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!