IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
S.I stands for stroke index, it's usually numbered 1 - 18, 1 being the hardest hole, 18 being the easiest, I'm guessing the si and the yardages have been misprinted on this card?

It is not the hardest hole, it is the hole on which the higher handicapper is more likely to need strokes.

Small but important distinction.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is not the hardest hole, it is the hole on which the higher handicapper is more likely to need strokes. Small but important distinction.

Why in your opinion does the high handicapper more likely need strokes on the #1 index hole instead compares with the #18 hole? Is it trickier? OB in certain strategic placement? Or what ever other reason that makes the hole harder than the other.. I'm sorry, don't see the distinction or why it is important to know it. Willing to learn though.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Why in your opinion does the high handicapper more likely need strokes on the #1 index hole instead compares with the #18 hole? Is it trickier? OB in certain strategic placement? Or what ever other reason that makes the hole harder than the other.. I'm sorry, don't see the distinction or why it is important to know it. Willing to learn though.

I think it's that you have to think of the hole for different levels of golfer. A hole may be relatively straightforward for a scratch or low handicapper but may be trouble for a high handicap golfer. I'm picturing an instance of a big forced carry to a massive green with lots of room to bail without being too penalized once you're over the carry. A higher handicap player has bigger trouble with distance control and has more likihood of making a terrible shot that he could at least recover from under normal circumstances. While the better player wouldn't have as much variation on the low end so the carry might be irrelevant to their play of the hole on all but their absolute worst strikes. The reason it's an important distinction is because the better player is giving help to the worse player, so you look at the holes the worse player needs help on, not the better player.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator

Why in your opinion does the high handicapper more likely need strokes on the #1 index hole instead compares with the #18 hole?

It's not an opinion. It's literally how the system was designed.

It may have changed, but it used to be that courses are supposed to submit hundreds of scorecards and the numbers were calculated. The hole where the higher handicapper would need a stroke most was given #1, and aside from balancing the nines (i.e. trying to put odd handicap hole #s on one side and evens on the other), the results were what they were.

A scratch player averages under par on most par fives (the three shots gives them a chance to recover from a mistake and to make use of their ballstriking to get on in regulation or less) while a high handicapper simply has more chances to screw up.

Par threes are tough for everyone. Look at scoring averages on the PGA Tour. Higher handicappers often make 4 or 5 on them, but so do 2 handicappers.

Is it trickier? OB in certain strategic placement? Or what ever other reason that makes the hole harder than the other.. I'm sorry, don't see the distinction or why it is important to know it. Willing to learn though.

Because it has nothing to do with the "difficulty" of the hole.

A course's "par fives" are often the most difficult holes on the course if you don't consider par, yes, but nobody doesn't consider par. Scratch golfers lick their lips at par fives - they're looking to make eagle or birdie or have a tap-in par (which may disappoint them), while to a bogey golfer, covering 580 yards in only three strokes plus two putts can seem like fantasyland.

I've known courses where a par three is the #6 handicap hole, and a par four is the #1. I know a course with a 240-yard par three that plays as the #17 or #18 handicap hole… despite almost nobody making par (the green is severely tilted as well, and there are two bunkers around it that you do NOT want to be in, as well as a tree on the left side of the green).

I did say "small but important distinction."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As I am getting ready to dust off my clubs for the year I was looking at last years scores...what a roller coaster ride.  I had a few near misses 1 100, 3 101s, 2 103s and 104.  Then several >= 110.  Hopefully this is the year I can push those scores just a little lower.  :)

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Played my first round in years due to a really poor golf swing. After 3 months of range and evolvr work I shot a 96! I used irons for the whole round, did not lose a ball and had 1 dropped shot due to a water hazard. 3 putted a few but overall the difference was keeping the woods in the bag and maintaining a centered pivot with a controlled backswing. Good luck to everyone else and if I can break 100.....anyone can.....I'm a chronic over the topper!

Matt

Played my first round in years due to a really poor golf swing. After 3 months of range and evolvr work I shot a 96! I used irons for the whole round, did not lose a ball and had 1 dropped shot due to a water hazard. 3 putted a few but overall the difference was keeping the woods in the bag and maintaining a centered pivot with a controlled backswing. Good luck to everyone else and if I can break 100.....anyone can.....I'm a chronic over the topper!

That is a great way to start out the year.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

That is a great way to start out the year.

Thanks, I certainly hope the year gets better from here........I'm going again on Sunday to make sure it wasn't a total fluke! I had the Golf bug and now I'm hooked, still loads of work to do on my swing and game but at least it's a start.  Cheers

Matt

• Administrator

Congratulations! You'll be able to use your woods again soon and drop even more strokes.

Congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit a really rough bucket at the course where nothing felt right.  I will be walking 18 on Wednesday and will have an update.  I am going to try to get my wife to video tape my swing and get everyones feedback on that.  I am excited for the year to begin but a little frustrated at today's bucket.  It felt like I had never swung a club before.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Just hit a really rough bucket at the course where nothing felt right.  I will be walking 18 on Wednesday and will have an update.  I am going to try to get my wife to video tape my swing and get everyones feedback on that.  I am excited for the year to begin but a little frustrated at today's bucket.  It felt like I had never swung a club before.

Gipper,

I know you are probably getting way too much info, but here's my 2 cents and check my handicap so take it FWIW.

Buy a cheap practice mat. If you can afford it, get a weighted club - the type that has the grip already set to put your hands in the correct grip. Now swing every day and make as good a swing as you can - always taking the time to sweep the mat. Do not use a ball. Just work on a smooth swing and to always sweep the mat.

The keys are to swing smoothly and to always sweep the mat. Try this every day at home and then go out and play. When you swing on the course, remember to swing smoothly and to "sweep the mat".

Tell me what happens.

I think the swing advice is fantastic. But, here is some fundamental advice that I received as a young golfer. 1. Play with people that are better than you and ask for feedback. The operative word is PLAY. To get better at this game, you must try to play on some kind of consistent basis. Many times your shots aren’t as long or straight, but playing with better golfers, especially those who understand course management, can save you a couple of strokes per nine holes just by helping you make better decisions. We have a buddy process at our club and this works really well. In addition, playing with better golfers also helps you to learn the rules and maintain a pace of play. 2. Don’t rush your putts. So many times I see higher handicappers do a good job of making to the green, only to rush the putts, slam the flag in the hole and move on. I’m not saying to plumb bob and look at each putt from 4 sides, but try to get the ball near the cup and leave yourself nothing for a second putt. 3. Shoot for fives. If you score a 5 on every hole, you will shoot a 90. Play against par, not your playing partners. 4. Practice on a regular basis and your luck will improve. *** *** “It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get” - Arnold Palmer
  • Upvote 3

I think the swing advice is fantastic. But, here is some fundamental advice that I received as a young golfer. 1. Play with people that are better than you and ask for feedback. The operative word is PLAY. To get better at this game, you must try to play on some kind of consistent basis. Many times your shots aren’t as long or straight, but playing with better golfers, especially those who understand course management, can save you a couple of strokes per nine holes just by helping you make better decisions. We have a buddy process at our club and this works really well. In addition, playing with better golfers also helps you to learn the rules and maintain a pace of play. 2. Don’t rush your putts. So many times I see higher handicappers do a good job of making to the green, only to rush the putts, slam the flag in the hole and move on. I’m not saying to plumb bob and look at each putt from 4 sides, but try to get the ball near the cup and leave yourself nothing for a second putt. 3. Shoot for fives. If you score a 5 on every hole, you will shoot a 90. Play against par, not your playing partners. 4. Practice on a regular basis and your luck will improve. *** *** “It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get” - Arnold Palmer

That is some of the best advice I've ever heard. And I had never actually thought that only shooting fives would get me a score of 90.

That is some of the best advice I've ever heard. And I had never actually thought that only shooting fives would get me a score of 90.

To break it down even more when "shooting for fives." Look at every three holes as a mini round. In other words, play 6 mini rounds of three holes each and try to shoot 15 six times. It will help you stay in the moment, prevent a bad hole from spoiling the entire round. One more thing: If you have a bad hole move on and put it behind you. We all have bad holes. I keep this adage printed on a card in my bag, “What Lies Behind Us and What Lies Before Us are Tiny Matters Compared to What Lies Within Us” It helps me to stay in the moment. YOU GET FROM GOLF WHAT YOU PUT INTO GOLF. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

I think the swing advice is fantastic.

But, here is some fundamental advice that I received as a young golfer.

1. Play with people that are better than you and ask for feedback. The operative word is PLAY. To get better at this game, you must try to play on some kind of consistent basis. Many times your shots aren’t as long or straight, but playing with better golfers, especially those who understand course management, can save you a couple of strokes per nine holes just by helping you make better decisions. We have a buddy process at our club and this works really well. In addition, playing with better golfers also helps you to learn the rules and maintain a pace of play.

2. Don’t rush your putts. So many times I see higher handicappers do a good job of making to the green, only to rush the putts, slam the flag in the hole and move on. I’m not saying to plumb bob and look at each putt from 4 sides, but try to get the ball near the cup and leave yourself nothing for a second putt.

3. Shoot for fives. If you score a 5 on every hole, you will shoot a 90. Play against par, not your playing partners.

4. Practice on a regular basis and your luck will improve. ***

*** “It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get” - Arnold Palmer

I actually agree with the shooting for 5s thing. I started doing that when I was shooting low 90s and it helped me break 90 because I mind tricked myself into being more positive about my results. A bogey on a par 4 was exactly what I needed to do. Par 5s were survival and I looked at par 3s the way tour pros view par 5s. If I made par or birdie, they were like eagles for my score.

That said, if you're using the 5s method for breaking 90, remember you need to shoot one under. I forgot that and thought I had a two putt for 89 my first time. I casually lagged it up and it went in, but I actually needed it, so I'm glad it did fall or I'd have never forgiven myself. But yeah, it's easier on the mind as a bogey golfer to think of how much over or under bogey you are for the day than it is to think you're 10 over par after the front 9. That's despiriting.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 1367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!