IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shot a 103 today (after 94 on my last round at a different course). Only 1 penalty and 1 par. 4 triples, including 2 on par 3s, killed any chance of breaking 100. Only 4 fairways hit, but 4 others were playable from the first cut, so reasonably satisfied with my driver. Part the blame is on me. Went for the hero shot on at least 2 holes, which left me in trouble. On 2 other holes I laid up nicely, but skulled my AW through the green (unusual for me.) Definitely 6 or 7 strokes I could make back that would have put me under the "magic number". All in all still a good day!

...Anyway, I got to the turn during my last round and realised I had shot 47 (Never before been lower than 50!) and proceeded to shoot 9, 9 and 8 through the next three. managed to get it together a little and shot 105 - included a birdie on the SI 1 par 5! Almost as if, once I'd realised I had no chance of breaking 100 I completely relaxed again and my game came back!

If i just shot double bogey on those three nightmare holes i would have shot below 100.

Anyone else have this issue??

Welcome to The Sand Trap!

I think you'll find you're far from alone with that issue, plenty of golfers have experienced it!  I find the best thing to do is just write the scores down and do your best not to do any math in your head or keep track of where you are score-wise.  As you approach every shot, say to yourself "this is the only shot that matters right now" - it helps you stay in the moment.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I really need a par on this hole!" or any such thought.

One friend I sometimes golf with has the bad habit of keeping a running total and saying things like "If you par the next two holes you'll break 90!".  I've managed to avoid wrapping a 9-iron around his neck and told him NOT to tell me anything about the score until after the round is done, so the problem is pretty much taken care of. :-)

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to The Sand Trap!

I think you'll find you're far from alone with that issue, plenty of golfers have experienced it!  I find the best thing to do is just write the scores down and do your best not to do any math in your head or keep track of where you are score-wise.  As you approach every shot, say to yourself "this is the only shot that matters right now" - it helps you stay in the moment.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I really need a par on this hole!" or any such thought.

One friend I sometimes golf with has the bad habit of keeping a running total and saying things like "If you par the next two holes you'll break 90!".  I've managed to avoid wrapping a 9-iron around his neck and told him NOT to tell me anything about the score until after the round is done, so the problem is pretty much taken care of.

Thanks Mac,

Think that's the way to go. However I can't help but be conscious of when I'm playing well and scores are relatively low! And yes that would irritate me too!!

I'll look into recording my swing and uploading to the site. Would really appreciate any advice any one has!

Thanks Mac,

Think that's the way to go. However I can't help but be conscious of when I'm playing well and scores are relatively low! And yes that would irritate me too!!

I'll look into recording my swing and uploading to the site. Would really appreciate any advice any one has!

I think you'll find that if you post a my swing thread that people who have a better understanding of the golf swing than I will be willing to give you some advice. :-)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

It's a bit funny how a tougher course can remind you how far you have to go. I shoot 90s at home most of the time. On vacation, we played Curituck Club in OBX twice. Two of the most horrific scores since the year I started. In short, OB everywhere. I hit nothing straight. Ready to get back to Ohio.

Played 18 yesterday as a guest on an associates home course. Didn't listen to my inner voice and sand trap golf wisdom and tried hero shots on three holes. Managed to achieve three double pars Still managed 53 , 53. Last year that was 59, 61

So I am working my way down as I do every year in the May timeframe ... shot 100 today ... why I will not trust what I practice I have no idea ... feel like I need help the ball or look up ... when I do trust my practice with hips forward and steady head ... it goes like the wind ... but I guess years of bad habits take over. Sad part is I know by June I will be high to mid-90's ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Shot a 46. The lowest score I have ever shot for 9 was 54. I knew something was up because my range sessions have been consistently better. My distances have improved with all of my clubs, and my slice is under control for the moment.I hit one duck hook into the woods, and still shot a 46 giving up the two stroke penalty. I reached the green once from 164, and once from 112. That is better than I did all last year, when I was shooting in the 120s. I came down two clubs on the par threes and still managed to get pin high, if not on the greens.Still I bogied both of them.

I am thinking I can break 90 this year because I am not yet used to my new distances so I over club sometimes, and my putting should improve as I get used to the greens. Last year greens were completely mysterious to me, this year, reading them seemed pretty straightforward and I may have missed putts, but I didn't get completely fooled on the breaks. Last year I would sometimes get breaks completely backwards.

Thought I had turned a corner but if it's not one thing, it's another.

Last 5 rounds: 105, 100, 100, 111, 104. :no:

This just in:

Christian

@Moppy Congrats on the 46, that is fantastic!! @RFKFREAK A couple of close calls with 100.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Thought I had turned a corner but if it's not one thing, it's another.   Last 5 rounds: 105, 100, 100, 111, 104. :no: This just in: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/121768/] [/URL]

You had a couple of good pokes out there the last two rounds though.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

@RFKFREAK A couple of close calls with 100.

Yeah.  Tomorrow's going to be a good day.  I can feel it!

You had a couple of good pokes out there the last two rounds though.

Yeah, swing's getting better so I think it's just a matter of putting it all together.  Part of the learning process.

Christian

Yeah.  Tomorrow's going to be a good day.  I can feel it Yeah, swing's getting better so I think it's just a matter of putting it all together.  Part of the learning process.

Same here, haha. Went through about 3 buckets today, one very angrily, but I think I found something. Time to bring the ruckus to the Meadow tomorrow.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Same here, haha. Went through about 3 buckets today, one very angrily, but I think I found something. Time to bring the ruckus to the Meadow tomorrow.

How's that " power fade " coming along? :-$

Christian

How's that " power fade " coming along? :-$

Couldn't tell you. It was an irons only range (ugh).

Dom's Sticks:

Couldn't tell you. It was an irons only range (ugh).

ROFL, not sure I'd consider going to such a place.

Christian

ROFL, not sure I'd consider going to such a place.

I had leftover tokens and time to kill. And irons only is good because it forces me to work on my iron game rather than just get ok and reach for the driver and whack the bejeesus out of 30 balls

Dom's Sticks:

I had a (45 +9) and a (47 +12) at two different courses today.  That 47 includes a 4 putt debacle from 3 feet out. :censored: I did not top one ball or hit them real fat.  I played some smart shots to get back in the fairway.  I feel like my distances are starting to pop in my head a little better even tho' they are way shorter than most peoples.  I seem to be a club or two/three shorter and my ball goes really high.  When they hit the green, they pretty much drop and stop.  The local course is hilly so that screws around with judging distances and standing above or below the ball too many times to count.  I'm not really worried about it too much right now because the ball strikes are pretty solid and the ball is advancing towards the hole.  I still can't move the weight forward without having some major pain in the left leg.  That is killing my driver distances on the holes that allow you to wail away.  I gave myself a week away from golf to rest up for my two weeks off from work.  I hoping to get out at least once a day for nine holes.  I plan on walking to get my leg back and it doesn't hurt that it's free to hoof it.  If it bothers me too much, I'll spring for a cart and do 18.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Note: This thread is 1363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!