IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I feel like my distances are starting to pop in my head a little better even tho' they are way shorter than most peoples.  I seem to be a club or two/three shorter and my ball goes really high...

Make this your starting point... figure out what your 150 club is (150 after the ball stops, not how far you fly it) and work from there.

If it is your 7 iron, start there and go 1 club up/down for every 10 yards.  So if you are 160 out you would use a 6 iron, 170 out a 5 iron, so on and so forth.

Also, any time you are playing an uphill shot, choose 1 more club than the distance.  Anytime playing downhill, choose 1 less than the actual distance.  If severely up/downhill... play 2 clubs more/less.  Same for strong head/tail winds.

Lastly, always figure out the distance to the middle of the green and aim only for the middle no matter where the pin is (when using your irons).  Do this until you break 100 consistently and then you can start aiming for the quadrants nearer the pin.

If you feel like you are getting consistent ball striking and distances, you are almost there!

• Upvote 1

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Make this your starting point... figure out what your 150 club is (150 after the ball stops, not how far you fly it) and work from there.

If it is your 7 iron, start there and go 1 club up/down for every 10 yards.  So if you are 160 out you would use a 6 iron, 170 out a 5 iron, so on and so forth.

Also, any time you are playing an uphill shot, choose 1 more club than the distance.  Anytime playing downhill, choose 1 less than the actual distance.  If severely up/downhill... play 2 clubs more/less.  Same for strong head/tail winds.

Lastly, always figure out the distance to the middle of the green and aim only for the middle no matter where the pin is (when using your irons).  Do this until you break 100 consistently and then you can start aiming for the quadrants nearer the pin.

If you feel like you are getting consistent ball striking and distances, you are almost there!

After I did my first nine holes yesterday, I drove a little ways to a nine hole par 3 course.  I sat in the parking lot for a bit but decided to head back to the home course 25 miles down the road.  I figured the weekend tournament would be over so I could play.  I might just do the par 3 course to really dial in some distances.  It is all flat land and a few rounds doing that should get a real good picture on what my numbers are without adding in the major elevation shifts.  I have no clue on the condition of the greens but they can't be as bad as yesterdays.  I just looked at the yardages and 5 of them are from 124 to 137 yards, 2 in the 150's, and the others are 188 and 225.  That should give me something to work on.  I can take the driver out of the bag and put a 60 degree in.

I bought Lowest Score Wins last winter.  I try to aim for the middle of the greens with my irons.  I do go for a pin with the wedges but only if they are 75 yards or less and I have a good angle at them.  Middle it is if there is danger in the way.  Still playing around with the distances for 7:30, 9:00, and 10:30 swings with wedges.  I'm in need for a re-read now that the season is in full swing.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I had leftover tokens and time to kill. And irons only is good because it forces me to work on my iron game rather than just get ok and reach for the driver and whack the bejeesus out of 30 balls

Eh, I still like the option of incorporating good practice with the driver, too.

Now, if I decide to whack the bejeesus out of 30 balls like a knucklehead, that's on me. O:):whistle:

103 yesterday.  Pretty disheartening round, especially the 17th hole which I go into in my thread here .

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try this the next time. Make practice swings and do not swing any faster than you can balance. I mean really pay attention to how fast you can swing in complete balance. Do this while sweeping the ground with your club. When it's time to hit, do not swing any faster. It will feel slower but you will probably make better contact and you will have more time to square the club face. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip-changed my set up to this suggestion-shot my first sub 90. 41+46. Seemed to make the real swing real comfortable-not so many miss hits, and those got me a straight 75 yards

Thanks man. I think the putter just followed suit. It was effortless today. Got a week off and three more 18's planned. Trust it will cement the muscle memory

D'oh! Parred the first hole, a par four, then proceeded over the next 8 to shoot a 62!  I putted fine. One three putt. But between one overshot green into a steep uphill bank that led to a disaster than lasted into the next hole where it took three shots to get past the red tees I flushed six shots down the crapper.

Still, I have some stuff to take to the range tomorrow to work on. 108 in my last 18 holes. I can break a hundred, I know it.

Well ... play the league last night, and shot out of my freaking mind ... a 43 only because I doubled the last two holes (both the par 5's) ... just controlled my misses better, and putted well. The driver was in or close to the fairway on every drive ... par 3's on or close to the green ... what was odd, was my warmup before the round SO bad, I just went and sat in the cart with a F' this attitude ... lets just go out on the course and play ... no expectations. Will see what the weekend brings ... no expectations (OK maybe some expectations)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I had a rotten day on the course this afternoon. I sprayed 90, no 95% of my shots right. Couldn't make a putt to save bogey, and left nearly all of my pitch shots well short of the marker. But, I did manage to bogey two of the par fives. And I hit two straight, albeit not super long, drives. IN A ROW. :~( I think I'm my own worst enemy out there sometimes. I know I'm capable of draining putts and making shots, but I overthink stuff so badly it near drives me insane. Tomorrow will be a rest day from golf, maybe a practice swing or dozen on the front lawn. Then hopefully Friday I can play gain, and try not to think too much.

Corey

Well after my 89, last weekend I shot a 102.  This week has been a mixed bag, somedays hit the driver well, others chipped well (irons never good).  But I have managed to keep my 9 holes under 50 all week.

I alternate playing the front and back nine each morning.

Monday - 47

Tuesday - 49

Wednesday - 49

Thursday - 46

Friday - 48

So I think I am getting to the point were I can break a hundred but not being able to play 18 on a single day I just don't know.  Maybe next week I can find time to play a full round.

Played 9 holes yesterday.  Lots of double bogeys.  But there were 2 total blowouts.  Lost one ball on a sliced drive out of bounds and another lost to a water hazard.  I don't know if it was frustration on those two particular holes, but my putting was especially bad for the same holes.  Shot a 64 total for 9.  I usually don't keep score, but I would say, embarrassingly, this was one of my better scores.

@PeteK I have had some days where things went really bad, but hopefully you still enjoyed your round.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I enjoyed it quite a bit actually.  Beautiful day.  Played solo and pretty much had the entire course to myself. I'm not too worried about my horrible scores.  I see improvements the more I play.  I hit enough good shots to keep me addicted.

I enjoyed it quite a bit actually.  Beautiful day.  Played solo and pretty much had the entire course to myself. I'm not too worried about my horrible scores.  I see improvements the more I play.  I hit enough good shots to keep me addicted.

@PeteK a day like that is the absolute best ... really does not matter what the score cards is!

100 on Saturday

92 yesterday.

After 6 rounds of 100 or more, it's nice to get a sub 100 in again.

Nice Christian.

I had plans on playing over the weekend but my son brought the flu home last week. I missed league last week and didn't feel much like playing over the weekend. I'll have to make up for it over the next couple weeks. :-)

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Hi everyone,

Played a couple rounds every year or two for the past 20 years. Last year I started playing with a friend and got hooked. Played around 25 times and we really sucked. Best score was 115, but usually much higher.

I am determined to get better this year. Took a group clinic a few weeks ago and bought a range membership. I've been hitting the range a few times a week and played the par 3 a couple time. Played my first regular course on Sunday and shot 108. Was really happy with a lot of my shots, but my putting was atrocious. I did drain a 25 footer with a big break, but also 3 and 4 putted quite a few holes. Taking a lesson this week or next.

I will break 100 this year!

Nice Christian.

I had plans on playing over the weekend but my son brought the flu home last week. I missed league last week and didn't feel much like playing over the weekend. I'll have to make up for it over the next couple weeks.

Thanks, Bill.

Hope you and your son are feeling better.

That 92 is my best round ever so I'm itching to get back out there.  Just sad I have to wait until Saturday to play again. :(

Hi everyone,

Played a couple rounds every year or two for the past 20 years. Last year I started playing with a friend and got hooked. Played around 25 times and we really sucked. Best score was 115, but usually much higher.

I am determined to get better this year. Took a group clinic a few weeks ago and bought a range membership. I've been hitting the range a few times a week and played the par 3 a couple time. Played my first regular course on Sunday and shot 108. Was really happy with a lot of my shots, but my putting was atrocious. I did drain a 25 footer with a big break, but also 3 and 4 putted quite a few holes. Taking a lesson this week or next.

I will break 100 this year!

Welcome and good luck!  If you haven't done so yet, post your own my swing thread in this forum .  Lots of good people around here that can give you some good advice.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 1363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!