IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there a break 45 thread anywhere? I only play nine at a time and playing 9 versus 18 makes a difference. Right? Fatigue on the back. Maybe loss of focus on the back. Or does it work the other way. On the back 9 you[quote name="Warren Zevon" url="/t/74913/breaking-bad-club-a-thread-for-golfers-trying-to-break-100/882#post_1190181"]Oh man after taking a few steps forward in the past six weeks or so I took a giant leap backwards today. Topped balls, three putts, OBs and quads all around. After losing a half dozen balls in the past month I think I lost eight with errant tee shots, water hazards and just plain piss poor aiming. I just could not get my head in the game or keep my head down during my shots. I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I know I can golf better than that if I can keep my shit together. Hopefully I'll be back on track tomorrow morning.[/quote] Hey Warren. Check out my signature. :)
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

the top part of my last post needs to be edited out. unable to edit.

----

I have been trying to break 45 all year. seems im in the range of 46 to 53 no matter what course, what conditions, what slope, etc.  i am starting to see more consistency so i think its just a matter of time. switched sides putting and feel more comfortable and more accurate. distance control was my problem in my last round. 4 4 putt greens on nine. ouch.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Is there a break 45 thread anywhere?

Breaking 90 thread...

http://thesandtrap.com/t/70872/bogey-golfers-only-hi-from-16-22-breaking-90-thread

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Question for everyone:  on the 10th hole, I hit a drive over a pond and it struck a power line and I heard it hit into some trees down the right side of the fairway.  I played it from where I found it and managed to salvage a double bogey on the hole.  Not sure why power lines are in the field of play ahead of a tee box, but if I couldn't find the ball, or it ricocheted into the pond,  do I take a penalty on that and just rehit?

Sounds like a lost ball to me.  Just like OB, stroke and distance.

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

...Question for everyone:  on the 10th hole, I hit a drive over a pond and it struck a power line and I heard it hit into some trees down the right side of the fairway.  I played it from where I found it and managed to salvage a double bogey on the hole.  Not sure why power lines are in the field of play ahead of a tee box, but if I couldn't find the ball, or it ricocheted into the pond,  do I take a penalty on that and just rehit?

First thing I'd do is check the scorecard and/or ask in the pro shop if they have a local rule about balls hitting powerlines.  On some courses, if your ball hits a powerline you get to replay the shot with no penalty.  It's always good to read the scorecard on a new course to see what (if any) local rules they have - powerlines, free drops out of tree wells, etc.

Absent a local rule, if you couldn't find it it would be treated as a lost ball, stroke and distance.  If it ricocheted into the pond, you'd play it like a water hazard - one stroke penalty and the appropriate drop.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Question for everyone:  on the 10th hole, I hit a drive over a pond and it struck a power line and I heard it hit into some trees down the right side of the fairway.  I played it from where I found it and managed to salvage a double bogey on the hole.  Not sure why power lines are in the field of play ahead of a tee box, but if I couldn't find the ball, or it ricocheted into the pond,  do I take a penalty on that and just rehit?

I have never played a course that didn't have a local rule that all power line shots are replayed.  Check the scorecard for local rules, you'd be surprised what you can get away with.  At one of my local course slices into the range net on the first hole are replayed!

Otherwise as others have said, it's in the water which if marked with yellow or red stakes is a hazard and standard hazard penalties take effect.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

Is there a break 45 thread anywhere? I only play nine at a time and playing 9 versus 18 makes a difference. Right? Fatigue on the back. Maybe loss of focus on the back. Or does it work the other way. On the back 9 you Hey Warren. Check out my signature. :)

Touchè! Things went moderately better today. My tee shot slice came back, which I'll almost take after not being able to hit the damn ball yesterday. Everything is still all out of whack, tho. I'll skip playing tomorrow and hit the range for a while instead. Maybe some of this practice stuff I've been hearing all the kids talk about might help.

Corey

• Administrator
Check the scorecard for local rules, you'd be surprised what you can get away with.  At one of my local course slices into the range net on the first hole are replayed!

Local Rules cannot supersede or over-write a Rule of Golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Shot a 49 yesterday for my 1st sub 50 nine hole round out of the last 3.  And my first sub 50 round on the back 9 at my home course all year.  Happy with the score but left a bunch of strokes out there.  Three putted a couple holes, including the easiest hole.  Struggled with my ball striking but that is nothing new.  No penalty strokes and I tried to stay out of trouble.

I know we are not supposed to look at the score but as I walked up to the last tee box I saw I had a 44 and needed a bogey to get my 49.  I think it actually helped for once, I think I focused a little better. On my second shot I was 160 out, with bunkers on the left, right and back of the green I elected to lay up instead of challenging the bunkers.  Then I did a bump and run which ran off the green on to the fringe. Putted to within 3-4 feet, then knowing I had to sink that putt to get my 49, took my time aiming and hit it firm to take some of the break out and sunk it for my bogey.

Now if I could just hit my driver further, improve my ball striking with my irons, eliminate 3 putts, etc... :whistle:

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Shot a 94! 49/45 today, that's my best round and differential ever.  I was feeling a bit down as I went out on Monday with my regular group and shot a 108 54/54 that was just terrible, I couldn't control the driver again and I was slicing so far it was not only to the opposite fairway, but past it.  Had some good milestones on Monday though, my first 300+ yard drive in the fairway, and an intentional 6 iron hook shot around a tree that actually worked.

The front 9 today was OK, I bogeyed the first six, and then lost a ball on 7 and pushed my next shot right of the green for a triple.  I also tripled 9, with a bad first drive that landed way fat and duck hooked the ball OB.  An 8 on the 9th hole is still actually the best score I've ever had there, usually get a 9, I hate it.  I scored a 5 on every hole of the back 9, Par on both 5's, Bogey on all the 4's, and Doubles on both 3's for a 45.  The 3's should have been pars, but I had to tee off twice on both as my first shots went in the water.  My putting is all of a sudden kinda decent after being really terrible for so long... I'm actually making 5 footers now.

After much work since Monday, I've got my driver on a nice little fade instead of the major slice, I tried switching to a draw instead but it's too easy to turn the draw into a big low hook, so I'm pretty happy with a repeatable fade.

Game Golf Round:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Cupcakus/round/551260

This makes 4 of my last 5 rounds < 100 so I think I might be leaving this thread soon, we'll see in a week when the indexes refresh where I am.

S-Flex

A 98 today, 48/50 which is surprising because I thought I played pretty well, only 32 putts, 6 pars or better, 20% Scramble.  But I guess it doesn't matter when there are 8 +2 or worse scores on the card. (2 +2, 5 +3, 1 +4), 7 strokes of which are lost ball or water hazard penalties... I think I am an 80s low 90s golfer if I can keep the stupid ball in play, but if I didn't lose a ball OB today, I was in the trees with no shot to the green, and I either hit a tree trying to get it there, or lost a stroke punching it back in to the fairway.  I think it's time to hit the range and only hit driver for a while.

S-Flex

Great job cupcakis!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Great job cupcakis!

What he said! :dance:

Bill Z.

DLR Hog 1005D Putter

One of the ways I was able to get under 90 was by not taking those risky shots which I use to take back when I was shooting over 100. Now days I play the smart shot which in turn saves strokes. You can score better with a safe lay-up than by taking a chance at risky shots that aren't likely to produce the results you had hoped for.

Just saying

One of the ways I was able to get under 90 was by not taking those risky shots which I use to take back when I was shooting over 100. Now days I play the smart shot which in turn saves strokes. You can score better with a safe lay-up than by taking a chance at risky shots that aren't likely to produce the results you had hoped for.  Just saying

This great advice. I now have the attitude that I do not want any strokes on my score where I did not get to swing.

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

This great advice. I now have the attitude that I do not want any strokes on my score where I did not get to swing.

That never works for me no matter how hard I try. It all just depends on whether I'm striking the ball well or not, honestly. Sometimes OB or an unplayable is unavoidable unless you are truly a great golfer....and even then.

Yah, so like I said in my post yesterday, if I can just keep my ball in play I would probably be in the 80s, and sure enough, I only lost 3 balls today, 2 into lateral hazards and 1 just disappeared? I saw it bounce went to go get it and it was no where to be found... so I took a 2 shot penalty and played a new ball from where I saw it bounce.

Well today was an 87! 42/45 that's a new record for me, it's so low in-fact that I had to rethink the whole round to make sure I didn't cheat somewhere.  Other than the two stroke penalty mentioned above I should have re-teed, I didn't cheat at all, I even missed a couple gimme putts when rushing and counted them as misses.

38 Putts, 56% GIR, 25% Scramble, 6 Par, 1 Birdie

Things are really coming along, I'm pretty sure I'm out of the triple digits for a while now, good luck to those still struggling you'll make it!

Game Golf Round

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Cupcakus/round/554772

• Upvote 2

S-Flex

Yah, so like I said in my post yesterday, if I can just keep my ball in play I would probably be in the 80s, and sure enough, I only lost 3 balls today, 2 into lateral hazards and 1 just disappeared? I saw it bounce went to go get it and it was no where to be found... so I took a 2 shot penalty and played a new ball from where I saw it bounce. Well today was an 87! 42/45 that's a new record for me, it's so low in-fact that I had to rethink the whole round to make sure I didn't cheat somewhere.  Other than the two stroke penalty mentioned above I should have re-teed, I didn't cheat at all, I even missed a couple gimme putts when rushing and counted them as misses. 38 Putts, 56% GIR, 25% Scramble, 6 Par, 1 Birdie Things are really coming along, I'm pretty sure I'm out of the triple digits for a while now, good luck to those still struggling you'll make it! Game Golf Round [URL=http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Cupcakus/round/554772]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Cupcakus/round/554772[/URL]

Well yeah, if I never had to take any penalty strokes I would always shoot low 80's or less. Congrats on your best round ever

Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!