IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

58 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

I've rejoined the Breaking Bad club. I haven't broke 100 this year. I've been on the 44, 45 + 56, 58 plan. Ball striking has been horrid. Short game has been very good. At the range I can hit pretty much anything. But on the course, I don't know what happens. I mix up the clubs at the range hitting different targets with different clubs, but on the course.... if I can't get off the tee well, it's all over. If I slice my tee shot into the trees, the hole is done. 

If I could play the course from 150 yds and in I'd be happy. The problem is the tee shots. They're eating up two and three strokes per hole.

Sounds like punching is something you could improve on (assuming the trees are not deep woods, but just trees on the course (or even off of pine needles, etc.).  When I started about 2 years ago, every drive was a slice.  I got real good at punching the ball.  What I did was get buckets at the range and instead of hitting the ball normally, I'd punch every single club about 5-8 times.  I'd do this every third day or so.  Now, if I'm in a bad situation, I can shape my punches (something I still can't do with a normal shot).  Saves me so many shots on the course not having to just punch 90* to the fairway, especially considering the distance lost with a slice.  The other day I actually had a punch in for eagle (I should have just quit golf while I was on top there) from like 130.  Freak incident, but it's a useful skill to have no matter what.  Heck, if it gets too windy sometimes I'll just punch all day.  Think that instead of two-three strokes per hole, it may be under 1 wasted each time.  At least you could put yourself where your short game seems to work (mine falls apart).

As for the ball debate, I've wondered how much it really affects it until today.  I've been using Nike Superfars (found a great deal, $16 for 24), but can't get them anymore.  So today I bought some Nike PD Longs before my round, but found that I actually lost distance off the tee, and spin around the greens.  Instead of my shorter shots stopping in a few feet, it ended up being like a 10-15 foot roll out.  That being said, does anybody have any good suggestions for buying cheapish (I Tin Cup it sometimes) balls that are good off the tee for distance but also around the green?  I've thought about buying mint-condition shag balls using like Pro V1s or something, but I'm just not sure if I really should.  If there's a cheaper ball I can get in a store new, I think I'd prefer that.

16 minutes ago, EMC2144 said:

Sounds like punching is something you could improve on (assuming the trees are not deep woods, but just trees on the course (or even off of pine needles, etc.).  When I started about 2 years ago, every drive was a slice.  I got real good at punching the ball.  What I did was get buckets at the range and instead of hitting the ball normally, I'd punch every single club about 5-8 times.  I'd do this every third day or so.  Now, if I'm in a bad situation, I can shape my punches (something I still can't do with a normal shot).  Saves me so many shots on the course not having to just punch 90* to the fairway, especially considering the distance lost with a slice.  The other day I actually had a punch in for eagle (I should have just quit golf while I was on top there) from like 130.  Freak incident, but it's a useful skill to have no matter what.  Heck, if it gets too windy sometimes I'll just punch all day.  Think that instead of two-three strokes per hole, it may be under 1 wasted each time.  At least you could put yourself where your short game seems to work (mine falls apart).

As for the ball debate, I've wondered how much it really affects it until today.  I've been using Nike Superfars (found a great deal, $16 for 24), but can't get them anymore.  So today I bought some Nike PD Longs before my round, but found that I actually lost distance off the tee, and spin around the greens.  Instead of my shorter shots stopping in a few feet, it ended up being like a 10-15 foot roll out.  That being said, does anybody have any good suggestions for buying cheapish (I Tin Cup it sometimes) balls that are good off the tee for distance but also around the green?  I've thought about buying mint-condition shag balls using like Pro V1s or something, but I'm just not sure if I really should.  If there's a cheaper ball I can get in a store new, I think I'd prefer that.

Oh, I can hit a punch shot. I try to advance the ball from my lie when possible. The problem I had today was my drive was ending up in a position sometimes where the only out was to go backward a couple times - i.e. right smack up against the tree. Knocking the ball out was preferable to taking an unplayable lie. At least I'd get it in better shape. 

My problem was the "power fade" off the fairway into the woods. Basically I need to practice hitting my driver and hitting long irons off the tee.

Other "winners" today were shots that would have been perfect but they happened to barely clip the tip of an overhanging pine branch and drop straight down onto the fairway.

If I could get into a position where I could hit anything from a PW to my 64 wedge I was deadly. I can get a 55 degree SW to stop dead from 65 yds. My best shot of the round was an 80 yd GW (my 105 yd club) I stuck 3 feet from the hole on #4. I play "hit the target" with one of the pros at the driving range with wedge shots. He beats me most of the time, but sometimes I get him.

I've been using Callaway SR1s. I have three dozen of them. They're not distance balls,They don't make them anymore. I think they cost me some yds. in exchange for a lot of control around the green. I'd say they cost me about 15 yds carry with my driver, but I couldn't stop the ball like this before.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, DrvFrShow said:

My problem was the "power fade" off the fairway into the woods. Basically I need to practice hitting my driver and hitting long irons off the tee.

Other "winners" today were shots that would have been perfect but they happened to barely clip the tip of an overhanging pine branch and drop straight down onto the fairway.

Gotta love the "power fade".  Got ride of any semblance of a fade today, at a course with 3 dogleg rights on the front nine alone.  That didn't help my game, especially trying to cut a very ambitious dogleg.  And I still can't hit irons off a tee with any consistency.  Generally push them or hook them.

Ah, the good ole trees.  As if golf wasn't hard enough (let's put this tiny ball in that tiny cup ~400 yards away), they just had to go and add trees and sand and water, lovely.  I had that problem today too, with just clipping a branch enough to ruin the shot.  But hey, at least you were on the fairway right?

14 hours ago, krupa said:

I've been quiet because I haven't wanted to complain about my apparent lack of progress.  Although I'm hitting the ball better, my scores haven't shown it.  However, it's early yet, and I totally expect to break 100 before the season is done.

I avoided the Sand Trap completely the last couple of weeks for just this reason.  Depressing to talk about golf when your game is not improving or in my case going backwards.

13 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

I've rejoined the Breaking Bad club. I haven't broke 100 this year. I've been on the 44, 45 + 56, 58 plan. Ball striking has been horrid. Short game has been very good. At the range I can hit pretty much anything. But on the course, I don't know what happens. I mix up the clubs at the range hitting different targets with different clubs, but on the course.... if I can't get off the tee well, it's all over. If I slice my tee shot into the trees, the hole is done. 

If I could play the course from 150 yds and in I'd be happy. The problem is the tee shots. They're eating up two and three strokes per hole.

I am still working on those tee shots as well.  For the most part they have been better this season but the last couple of rounds at league I have had some issues with pushes and slices.  I cleaned up most of it this past Wednesday but I still had a couple holes where I got in trouble off the tee.

12 hours ago, EMC2144 said:

I would like to find that cheaper spin ball as well.  I wish I had an answer for you.   I had been playing recycled Pro Vs for that reason but I honestly didn't really like the recycled ball.  So I started playing the Calloway Hex Control ball from Costco, but they don't seem to hold the green like the Pro Vs do. I lose too many balls to pay $48 dozen.  :)  I am kind of a < $20 a dozen guy.

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

57 minutes ago, pecos24 said:

Depressing to talk about golf when your game is not improving or in my case going backwards.

When I play like crap, that's the time I want to post here!  Lots of folks willing to commiserate and remind me that I'm not the only one struggling.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

The thing is that i wouldn't mind hitting a fade off the tee if it was a controlled fade. It's just a matter of being consistent with it. 

If anyone wants a good inexpensive ball, check the Callaway Supersofts or Titleist Velocity. Usually $21 a dozen. 

I just like the control I get with a urethane cover. Stopping wedge shots dead is important

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Just played 9 holes for a 51!  Beats the hell out of my last round 62/61.  I have putting issues but had 2 GIRs, my longest drive ever (251yds), and a few holes where my first putt was for par. 

I think I also had a legitimate Maltese Falcon 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

17 hours ago, krupa said:

Just played 9 holes for a 51!  Beats the hell out of my last round 62/61.  I have putting issues but had 2 GIRs, my longest drive ever (251yds), and a few holes where my first putt was for par. 

I think I also had a legitimate Maltese Falcon 

Great Job!

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

1 hour ago, pecos24 said:

Great Job!

Thanks!  I just hope I can reproduce it next time I get out! 

I need to look in here more often. It's been a struggle this year. Had a couple of borderline decent rounds, but way off last year's better moments. Threw up on my shoes last time out.

Oddly, doing ok off the tee. It's everything on the floor that's caused my grief.

First time, long time.

Got my first true handicap this year. I've shot under 100 twice this year 99 and 95 (best round ever), but that's only 2 out of 12 rounds this year. I started to hit it longer off the tee, but lost my accuracy. What's weird is my game is playing generally like a sub 100s, but typically one aspect is off each round. When the tee is going well, the irons quit. When the irons work, the putter goes away. 

I've been working on the pitch shot and it's been a godsend around the green. High handicappers, try that out. It seems so much more foolproof. I occasionally have a bad pitch, but it's easier to control and works in all situations around the green.

I use the Srixon Q-star ball. Not too expensive, seems to work and comes in yellow.

99!  99!  99!  The Giants win the pennant!  The Giants win the pennant!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/krupa/round/912392

I'm in shock!  5 pars a good birdie and another record drive!

3 minutes ago, krupa said:

99!  99!  99!  The Giants win the pennant!  The Giants win the pennant!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/krupa/round/912392

I'm in shock!  5 pars a good birdie and another record drive!

Nice. Congrats! Claim the achievement!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

2 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Nice. Congrats! Claim the achievement!

Oh, I most certainly did. :-D

Played last week at The Oaks in Pass Christian, MS.  Shot 51 on front and 46 on back...finished with 97...very excited as I really struggled on the front 9 just to save a score of 51...Playing again on Friday next week...hope to break 100 two rounds in a row at The Oaks for the first time...

30 minutes ago, Osnola said:

Played last week at The Oaks in Pass Christian, MS.  Shot 51 on front and 46 on back...finished with 97...very excited as I really struggled on the front 9 just to save a score of 51...Playing again on Friday next week...hope to break 100 two rounds in a row at The Oaks for the first time...

Good luck!

I am glad to see some of the guys are progressing..I am new to the Topic, and can attest to the Full swing being my biggest issue in breaking 90/100 areas...My short game is reasonably good, but it gets quite frustrating having to use the small clubs to salvage a double or worse hole thanks to my wonderful waste of a swing...and unfortunately I dont have fun hitting lousy golf shots with bigger clubs...so usually after 4 or 5 lousy holes, my round is done...maybe some day a swing will show up...

The funny thing is that once you get closer to the 99 mark and start getting better to the poing where you have the skills to be below there regularly, then you start to get new shots you have to do well.  Once you start hitting GIR you start having more long putts. Once you start getting close to GIR you start hitting it into those greensite bunkers. Once you can hit the ball off the tee, then those fairway bunkers are in play. Part of the fun, part of the frustration.

Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!