IGNORED

Persimmon vs Metal

TheGolfer
Note: This thread is 4219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Persimmon or Metal

• I perfer Persimmon
    • I prefer metal

I started out playing persimmon. Metal woods were out (original Big Bertha was just released) but I was playing with my dad's old Wilson clubs. They were blades with persimmon woods and an old titleist putter. I actually wish I still had those old clubs but I definitely prefer my newer clubs. There's nothing like hitting a pure shot with a persimmon driver though.
  • Upvote 1

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

I still have my Louisville Persimmon 1-3-5 woods in a closet around here somewhere. The sweet spot was no bigger than a gnats butt on those but oh, when you hit that spot it was pure joy.

• 2 years later...

I have a Ping Zing maple wood driver and I can hit it in the fairway 80% of the time. I have tried 4 different metal drivers and I haven't gotten one in the fairway yet. Other fairway metals seem to be ok and a more durable. I have a 2, 3, 5, & 7 as I can't hit long irons anymore. My longest iron is a 5.

I have a Ram Investor II 4 wood (laminated maple) that is older than me that has been in my bag since I played high school golf 15+ years ago. It is my most reliable club and any time I try to add another modern fairway to the bag, this club always wins out. If I were smart, I would use it exclusively off the tee (like I did for 2 years in high school). 220-235 straight down the middle is generally a good place to be-though not as fun as hitting the occasional long ball.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played persimmon some early this year and will play again.  I enjoy it even though I don't hit it as well as metal.  I like both, just depends on what mood I am in.  I have metal in the walking bag right now because it stays in the trunk a lot.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I take my 'old school' bag out 2-3 times a year. Wilson Staff Tour blades and Tour Block persimmon woods.

I lose about 20-30 yds  with the persimmons, and the blades only function well with a near perfect swing, but it's like going back 30 years to being a kid again. That and I like the challenge.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Just bought an old Hogan 5-wood. Took it to the range and surprised myself by hitting it well. I don't get it - good contact, and it seems to hide my swing flaws.  I didn't lose much (if any) distance, and hit it straight....  Why can't I hit my metal 3 and 5 woods!?

When Gary Adams brought his" metal" wood driver to our shop  in 1979,the head pro and I thought he was crazy. He had quit his job as PGA Golf
Co. Rep for Wisconsin and Illinois and started Taylor Made.  We took the driver to the range,hit it and immediately orderded personal use drivers and a bunch for trhe shop.  I sold all the MacGregor Persimmon woods I had and have never played a "wood" wood again!!

• Upvote 1

The last time I saw my Ram Persimmon Driver head, it was sailing in a beautiful arc at a driving range.  I let my 6'4" friend hit it.  The head snapped off.  I did not retrieve.  For some stupid reason, I then let him hit my 5w.  Same beautiful arc.  Those heads flew really well.  I still have the 3w.  No one is hitting it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

PING never made "persimmon" woods.

If someone has a photo proving otherwise, please post it.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

He said maple, did he not?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I have a beautiful Spalding persimmon 3 wood. I got it at a yard sale. It was brand new when I got it.

The guy said he bought it after the season had ended one year but his wife got him a metal one for christmas that year and he never used it. I think I paid maybe 15 bucks for it. I never used it It just sits in an umbrella thing at my parent's country house and looks pretty.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

As usual, some people hava  a little bit of knowledge and they use that to show how little they know.

"Persimmon" is not a generic term to describe a wooden driver.

Many of the best wooden drivers were made of persimmon.

The vast majority of wooden drivers, and I'd wager the ones that most golfers who used wood have experience with were laminated maple. Essentially PLYWOOD.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

As usual, some people hava  a little bit of knowledge and they use that to show how little they know.

"Persimmon" is not a generic term to describe a wooden driver.

Many of the best wooden drivers were made of persimmon.

The vast majority of wooden drivers, and I'd wager the ones that most golfers who used wood have experience with were laminated maple.

Indeed this is true. Persimmon is notoriously hard to cure and real persimmon woods are rather expensive. The use of persimmon wood for the highest quality clubs started before inserts were used so contact was ball on wood and persimmon was very good for that. As inserts became better and better most companies produced laminated maple versions that were nearly as good and cost a lot less. If you ever find a persimmon wood where the actual wood has black parts in the grain and where the grain is very tight, you should probably hold onto it. Persimmon is a form of ebony and under the right conditions and if allowed to age becomes extremely dark and hard however trees these days are harvested before they get to this stage.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Makes me want to track down a Persimmon and try it out at the range for fun.

• Upvote 1

910D2 9.5°
 Baffler Rail Fairway 3F 15.5°
IDEA Tech V3 3i 19°

G20 Hybrid  23°
JPX800PRO 5-GW

SM 56°, 64°
  KOMBI-S Mid 43"

I still have a persimmon driver from Lousiville Golf, and I would agree there is nothing more satisfying than hitting a balata ball on the screws of a persimmon driver, but metal drivers are so much easier to hit I would never want to go back to the "old" days.  I can honestly say my longest, non wind aided drive, was with that persimmon driver, but you could not count on that kind of performance on every swing.  The metal drivers of today allow for a much more consistent ball flight/distance than any persimmon driver.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

• 10 months later...

I bought a full set at a rummage sale for the old irons and decided to hit the course with all of them including the old nothing putter. I rediscovered the persimmons. MacGregor Tourney (G2H2 or something - in the garage as I type)  I fully intend to replace all my metal woods except the Callaway Hyper X driver for a fair test drivce this summer  The persimmon driver will be given a fair shot at being a 3wood in the bag. I just love them. I remember years ago shattering some drivers because I hit them so hard and thus buying into the metal is better scene. Time will tell if my new discovery lasts but they are effortless. I never swung that 4 wood in my life but I deliberately drew it around the fairway guarding the green ending up dead center with the first hit ever. I am also going to anaylize the specs to see why, length, swing wt, total weight, shaft flex everything to see why they are so effortless.

• 3 months later...
Note: This thread is 4219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!