IGNORED

Rotator Cuff Questions

caniac6

I am starting to have some rotator cuff problems. It hurts when lifting my arm past, or equal to shoulder high and behind my back. It does not hurt while playing golf. I am thinking of not doing anything until it bothers me while playing. I know there are other golfers with similar issue, and I would like your opinions and advice. Thanks.

Go see a doctor. I injured my right RC long time ago lifting weights, I got some not so smart intern who put my arm in a sling for 2 weeks, then called it good. Well 30 yrs later it still hurts, and my range of motion is very limited. Get it fixed while you still can..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You may need a Dr's referral to do it, but go to a good physical therapist. I have been to a physical therapist for my shoulders and it made a big difference. Make sure they give you stretching, and exercises. Also see if they will do soft tissue mobilization (something like ASTYM). Treat shoulder surgery as a last resort.

+1 on both the above recommendations.  There are stretches and exercises you can do to help heel the rotator cuff.  But you need to be evaluated first in case you have a tear.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

As what the rest already told you. Go see a dr or a pt the shoulder is a pretty complex joint. I am neither a dr or a pt but I am recovering from a shoulder injury. It's no joke.

I went to the Doc this morning, and he confirmed tha I had some problems with tendons in my rotator cuff. He said a partial tear was possible, and recommended physical therapy. He said that the possibility of surgery was way down the road, and that shoulder sugery and recovery was no fun.He also did not restrict my activity, so I can keep playing. Thanks for all the advice.

+1 on both the above recommendations.  There are stretches and exercises you can do to help heel the rotator cuff.  But you need to be evaluated first in case you have a tear.

This ^

then once cleared for either PT, or regular exercise - "The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution" is a great reference - though hard to find, it's out of it's copyright window so likely can find scanned on line.....  Though I do believe a couple of the exercises can be replaced with more recent techniques.  In particular, the standing "L"'s can be replaced with a lying "L" which requires a lot less weight for the muscles it's targeting and get more focused results with less strain.  Especially if tendonitis is the diagnosis....

it not only gives a series of workouts, but it spends time discussing the anatomy of the joint.

the authors focus on reduction of impingement and the idea that stabilizer type muscles need targeted work.

Bill - 

Good luck with the recovery. Didn't you doctor say nothing about keeping your activities within pain limits? It's great to hear good news but keep a good eye on it. Listen to your body and make sure you don't make it worse. When do you have an appointment with the PT?

I haven't been called yet about the referral, but I imagine I will hear in the next day or so. Thanks for the concern. My doctor filled me in on the surgery, and how long the recovery period would be, so I will be very careful, and try not to over do it.

I haven't been called yet about the referral, but I imagine I will hear in the next day or so. Thanks for the concern. My doctor filled me in on the surgery, and how long the recovery period would be, so I will be very careful, and try not to over do it.

Remember ice is your best friend.  Ice the shoulder after therapy, working out and golf.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I messed up my left shoulder while working out at the gym last year, did not hurt when I was golfing though.  Had xray that showed among other things a bone spur.  Did the MRI, it also showed a "small" tear.  Had surgery in October   last year.  The "small" tear turned out to be a tendon that completely separated and had folded back on itself, which is what I think caused the pain.  Bone spur removed, tendon reattached.  My orthopedist was pretty aggressive with treatment.  He had me doing pendulum swings the evening of the day of my surgery and every day after.  Saw him the day after surgery, bandages removed.  PT started 2 weeks after surgery, and after 3 weeks he wanted me to swing a putter gently.  Week 4 I was to gently do a chipping motion with a club for weight, in addition to the therapy exercises.  After 6 weeks, he told me to swing a club slowly, to get range of motion.  In February, I was done with therapy, cleared to go to the gym, cleared to hit balls and play, the only stipulation was to hit the range at least twice before playing.  It is now June, I have zero issues with the shoulder other than I am still strengthening it.  I have almost full range of motion, being limited only to when I move my hand/arm up my back, it does not go as high as my other one, not a big deal to me.

Still working on getting distance back but am hitting more fairways than I was before.

After surgery, I had a cuff on my shoulder that circulated ice water.  Used it extensively, it was a big help pain-wise.  In PT, session started with warm compress, then therapy, ended with ice.  I had two excellent sports therapists.  One was a golfer, my ortho is a big time golfer, so that all helped.

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

• 2 months later...

A PT cannot heal a tear. There isn't any magic that will heal it. If you have a tear, PT can strengthen muscles in your shoulder that will support movement, but the tear will still be there. Many people, especially athletes, have small tears in the RC, and can get along without surgery. Usually, though, the tear will get worse, either by tearing more or arthritis setting in. I injured my suprasinatus RC (tear) about 10 years ago and golf finally made it bad enough to have to have RC surgery. I had about 1/2" of the tendon reattached to the bone. Hopefully, it will heal strong.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I have had both of my shoulders worked on,  both for rotater cuff,  and one for a biceps rupture.  Strangely,  playing golf didn't really bother me playing,  just was sore afterwards.  Doing everyday activities bothered me more.  Now,  I have good range of movement,  but there not the same.  I need to be strengthening them regularly,  which I am lax to do.  But,  playing golf is not a problem,  except that my swing speed is not very good.  Thinking about going to graphite soon.  Good luck to you.

I've torn cartilage in shoulder before and thankfully some physical therapy, and healing time, was all that was needed.

I remember not being able to lift my arm above my shoulder and even getting it there was an issue. But I'm glad that I realized that something was really wrong and went to a doc right away which then sent me to physical therapy. I had two months of that and I was good after that. No surgery required thankfully.

Hope your shoulder is a bit better by now.

• 3 years later...

Yeah I know it's old but bumping this thread because it seems like one of the better ones focused on this exact issue: Rotator Cuff Issues

I haven't been to the doctor yet - going  next week - but I'm hoping he'll say I can keep playing like the guy in this thread: caniac6

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

On 6/11/2014 at 10:28 AM, caniac6 said:

I went to the Doc this morning, and he confirmed tha I had some problems with tendons in my rotator cuff. He said a partial tear was possible, and recommended physical therapy. He said that the possibility of surgery was way down the road, and that shoulder sugery and recovery was no fun.He also did not restrict my activity, so I can keep playing. Thanks for all the advice.

YES! I worked/work with an orthopedic doc. My RC impingements (both shoulders) are complicated by rheum arthritis. Phys therapy + injections + resistance band exersises work wonders even in old bones! Best of luck with this. Take it seriously and avoid surgery. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 4 years later...

I'm now dealing with a partial tear and tendonitis in my left shoulder according to MRI's results. Doctor gave me cortisone in my shoulder and seems to have given some relief, I start PT tomorrow does anyone have any advice?

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition