IGNORED

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

iacas

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Wow, @Greg 504, that was great to read. I shared what you wrote with Dave, and I'm glad we could overcome your distaste for reading! 😄

Seriously, though, thanks. That was very nice.

Ha! Glad someone and some topic could finally get it done! 

Edited by Greg 504
Incorrect spelling

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/7/2020 at 2:57 AM, Rippy_72 said:

Hitting a wedge from the right side of the fairway gives you a completely different chance at birdie or bogie compared to an approach from the left rough or left fairway edge where one can target 10-20 foot short of the pin with almost no risk.  If it comes out hot, you are stiff.  It comes out normal, you have a nice chance a birdie.  If it comes out heavy, it will land in the middle of the green and probably release still giving a birdie chance.  Those two misses (hot or heavy) from the right side of the fairway or rough are going to make par tough.  

This is the sort of information that is really valuable and that most players rarely think about.

At my course, there is a par 4 with a really long and narrow green with a mound to the right. If you drive into the trees and have no clear shot, you're better off being 30 yards short of the green than being 20 feet to the right of the green and pin high. 

Sensible course management can never be under-rated!

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the book, great info and would highly recommend it. Really dispels a lot of the commmonly heard "tips" you hear weekly at your local course. 

Tons of superb info that will definitely lower your score👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Thanks, @Nail. Glad you enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
45 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Are there any resellers of LSW in Canada, preferably BC ?

You can contact Graham Gunn in Kanata, Ontario.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just rec'd my copy of LSW yesterday and loving the read. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Is this something a complete newbie should read?  Should I wait to learn some things first?  My concern is confusing myself. I need to start at the beginning, like "This is how to hit a golf ball."

18 hours ago, BigHE said:

Is this something a complete newbie should read?  Should I wait to learn some things first?  My concern is confusing myself. I need to start at the beginning, like "This is how to hit a golf ball."

I read this as a long-time player, but I think it has a ton of value for players at any experience level.  Some of it presented completely new thought processes, completely different from what I had done before, but completely logical.  Other parts explained things that I'd learned over the decades I've been playing, but presented them in a more orderly and logical way than I'd ever seen before.  I honestly wish I had read this starting out.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

23 hours ago, WillieT said:

Just rec'd my copy of LSW yesterday and loving the read. 

Epitome of the day from the read....end of Chapter 8, pg 47 closing comments "In other words, if it's even remotely possible (there's no sprinkler head directly in your line, there's no strip of rough between your ball and the hole, etc.) always putt."  Why an epitome?  My son has recently adopted this process when optioning whether to chip the green or putt on.  He can chip all day in the back yard with the 60, but around the green he tenses up for fear of sending it flying and winds up hitting it very fat....he has found that if the grass is good, the coast clear he is much more consistent on getting on and close to the pin.  Now to turn him on to the 30 day Practice Plan drills. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

On 5/6/2020 at 9:48 PM, BigHE said:

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I read this as a long-time player, but I think it has a ton of value for players at any experience level.  Some of it presented completely new thought processes, completely different from what I had done before, but completely logical.  Other parts explained things that I'd learned over the decades I've been playing, but presented them in a more orderly and logical way than I'd ever seen before.  I honestly wish I had read this starting out.

I land somewhere between you guys on the time in the saddle spectrum of golf.  This book will lay out what is important and what is not.  I've read other books, some good and others well lets just say a new box of ProV1's would have served me better....I should've picked it up when I first came to this group, would have saved me a ton of frustrating moments on the course.  This site is loaded with instructional information, just do a search and you will find help in any area of the game.  I would suggest getting the book and reading is slowly, while at the same time looking into the instructional content here to get you headed in the right direction.  As the book says, "Golf is hard", but it offers a sense of reward that few other sports can!   

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 8:29 PM, WillieT said:

Epitome of the day from the read....end of Chapter 8, pg 47 closing comments "In other words, if it's even remotely possible (there's no sprinkler head directly in your line, there's no strip of rough between your ball and the hole, etc.) always putt."  Why an epitome?  My son has recently adopted this process when optioning whether to chip the green or putt on.  He can chip all day in the back yard with the 60, but around the green he tenses up for fear of sending it flying and winds up hitting it very fat....he has found that if the grass is good, the coast clear he is much more consistent on getting on and close to the pin.  Now to turn him on to the 30 day Practice Plan drills. 

Just finished LSW  - book is a great revelation on game of golf.  Going to start re-reading it as I believe in letting things marinate (whether a great steak or a good read, or maybe having a great steak while having a great read!).  Thanks Erik and Dave for writing this book.  Better days ahead w/lowest scores ever, for me, on the horizon! 

• Like 3

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Quick note - got to play a round at a local course yesterday that was a true challenge in course strategy/management.  Our area had been deluged with rain for the past week to the point the course was cart paths only.  The fairways were wet to say the least, the bunker were hard packed (some even hand pools of water standing), and the greens had more hip-hop than any rap artist ever thought about having!  So what was the verdict - still shot an even 100 (50 on the front/50 on the back).  The great thing was I had 5 legit opportunities for birdie - which I failed to capitalize.  What I was most excited about was how often I was nGIR.  Knowing that I was going to legitimately putt for par on most holes is a game changer.  Knowing that planning to aim for the middle of the green on approaches is a game changer.  Knowing that greens typically break certain ways even with hip-hop surfaces is a game changer.  I really believe this change in perspective was a direct result of my time reading LSW.  Big question of the day - do soggy fairways really affect ball striking?  I know they affect roll-out as more than once any ball with any backspin plugged  or stuck and rolled about 1 foot.      

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, WillieT said:

Big question of the day - do soggy fairways really affect ball striking?

Wet turf is easier to hit fat.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 5/23/2020 at 6:53 PM, billchao said:

Wet turf is easier to hit fat.

Thanks Bill - that's sort of what I thought.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• 3 weeks later...

Spending a good amount of time working on the first 3 keys - Steady Head, Proper Weight Transfer and Inline Swing.  My biggest issue centers on getting a proper weight shift as I have to deal with a left foot that was partially amputated in 2016 due to a motorcycle wreck.  Grafted skin does not like a lot of pressure placed on it - breaks down quickly.  As I noted during the COVID-19 30 Challenge, this has been my nemesis as I want to favor the back foot in terms of weight (body protecting the front (left) foot).  Been working with foot placement as outlined, i.e. how much toe out do I do to help assist with weight shift.  One thing I have seen - more consistent ground impact with the irons (hitting in the same general spot, at or just past the ball; drivers - more consistent strikes on the face (thanks foot spray)).  Still have a long way to go, but I can see good things like fewer shots in the weeds, trees, creeks happening.  As I said before, this book is one of the best investments I've made in addition to being part of this site.  

• Like 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star