IGNORED

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

iacas

• Administrator
On 3/2/2021 at 11:05 PM, StuM said:

One thing caught me by surprise, I’ve read many comments about shot cones and expected to read about them in LSW, but I did not.  I’ll look back on Threads to see where I saw that and what they are.

The word "cone" does not appear in LSW, no. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered LSW about a week ago and am really looking forward to diving in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have GC so don't have complete context, maybe he was just saying this in jest? He says unless you're scratch you can't use dispersion cones.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is best place to ask this or not, but here goes.  When counting nGIR for stats how do you count Par-3s?  My understanding of nGIR is that it helps understand how good/bad your approach shots may be by taking near misses into account.  On one of the Par-3 holes today I missed the green by 10 paces.  If I were on a Par-4 I would consider that an nGIR but I was unsure if the same would be true on a Par-3.  Thoughts?

I will tell you that today I feel I saw proof that nGIR is valuable.  I had two nGIR on Par 4 & 5 holes and got par on both of them.  I also got par on the Par-3 that I missed by 10 paces (@ 10 yards) so I feel that nGIR is as important as GIR.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, StuM said:

Not sure if this is best place to ask this or not, but here goes.  When counting nGIR for stats how do you count Par-3s?  My understanding of nGIR is that it helps understand how good/bad your approach shots may be by taking near misses into account.  On one of the Par-3 holes today I missed the green by 10 paces.  If I were on a Par-4 I would consider that an nGIR but I was unsure if the same would be true on a Par-3.  Thoughts?

What do you think?

(edited)
2 minutes ago, iacas said:

What do you think?

I am thinking it was a nGIR since it allowed for a relatively short easy chip.

edit; my concern was it was a tee shot, not an approach shot

Edited by StuM

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, StuM said:

I am thinking it was a nGIR since it allowed for a relatively short easy chip.

edit; my concern was it was a tee shot, not an approach shot

It's an approach shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

My copy of LSW arrived yesterday afternoon and I started to dig in right away! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob M said:

My copy of LSW arrived yesterday afternoon and I started to dig in right away! 

It’s good. You should check out the videos too. I’ve only watched the first video and some of the second. They’re good too so far. You can get a discount on the videos for having purchased the book. There’s a code somewhere. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Although I have not read "Every Shot Counts", I have read several articles by Mark Broadie on the topic, so the concept of "Separation Value" was not a completely new one to me. However, I'm finding its implications for how to focus practice time, as articulated in LSW, fascinating.  I'll spend some time on these concepts later today at the range!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished reading LSW this morning...what a great and comprehensive book! I'll be reading it again, starting with the "Decision Mapping" and "Game Planning" sections. Frankly, before I spend much time on Shot Mapping, however, my swing has to get more consistent than it is now, or it will be a challenge to find much meaningful information, LOL.

Regarding the latter point, using SVs has definitely lead me to focus on what skills are most important to practice. Specifically, I am focusing on Full Swing Motion shots (after spending the early part of 2021 focused on Short Game Motions shots and "Bead" putting drills) with Driver (get the ball in play as far as I can), Hybrids and irons (improve accuracy of approach shots) and Speed control for putts >= 25'. I will also be taking an AimPoint lesson in the near future. 

Great stuff! 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi I'm keen to buy this book after reading about all the good things people have said about it. However I live in Hong Kong, so am not sure how i can buy it. The ebay link on the LSW website doesn't seem to work. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

• Administrator
16 hours ago, subhro said:

Hi I'm keen to buy this book after reading about all the good things people have said about it. However I live in Hong Kong, so am not sure how i can buy it. The ebay link on the LSW website doesn't seem to work. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

If you can't get it delivered to you in Hong Kong via the eBay store, then… either eBay's worldwide shipping options don't ship to Hong Kong^ or you don't have an eBay in Hong Kong?

^ We ship our books for international shipping to an eBay place in Erlanger, Kentucky. They re-package them and ship them to their final destination.

Do you visit another country or have a friend in another country who can order for you?

ok there was some issue in the link to ebay, sorted that and have ordered. Shipping to Hong Kong is 18 dollars, but what the heck 😬 . Now the wait!

11 minutes ago, subhro said:

ok there was some issue in the link to ebay, sorted that and have ordered. Shipping to Hong Kong is 18 dollars, but what the heck 😬 . Now the wait!

The wait is the only bad part ;-) 

Good choice by getting the book;  you're going to enjoy it and learn a lot.  I hope you'll also stick around the site;  there's plenty of great instructional content here, too;  a large collection of it is gathered here: 

Thanks @Shindig I have actually been a relatively silent lurker on the site for a year now, and have learnt a lot reading up the threads.

Trying to put them into practice... journey from range to course is decidedly harder than I had anticipated!

• 2 weeks later...