IGNORED

TST Newport Cup 2015 Brainstorming Thread

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 3334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Would you rather see…

• Each match contested for a single point (match play)?
    • Each match contested as a Nassau, with points available for the front, back, and total (all match play)?

• Administrator

For the discussion of a renewal of the Newport Cup to take place in 2015. The first year's event will take place in southern California, most likely in late September or early October.

This thread is for the pre-discussion of it. Obviously nobody can commit at this point, and around March of next year we'll create a second, new thread for the actual discussion.

This is a brainstorming thread.

* WhatΒ this event can NOT be is a SoCal outing with a few other guys sprinkled in. That would defeat the purpose. So it'd likely be something like "east of the Mississippi versus west of the Mississippi." Or "California versus everyone else." Or something like that.

I think shooting for 8 vs. 8 is a good measure. I know three of my team members already: me, @cipher , and @saevel25 .

Mike's team will have @mvmac , @Golfingdad , and @tristanhilton85 at the very least.

Then two years after that, we'll have it in our neck of the woods (the Erie/Cleveland/Columbus/Pittsburgh area).

Brainstorm away!

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the discussion of a renewal of the Newport Cup to take place in 2015. The first year's event will take place in southern California, most likely in late September or early October.

This thread is for the pre-discussion of it. Obviously nobody can commit at this point, and around March of next year we'll create a second, new thread for the actual discussion.

This is a brainstorming thread.

* WhatΒ this event can NOT be is a SoCal outing with a few other guys sprinkled in. That would defeat the purpose. So it'd likely be something like "east of the Mississippi versus west of the Mississippi." Or "California versus everyone else." Or something like that.

I think shooting for 8 vs. 8 is a good measure. I know three of my team members already: me, @cipher, and @saevel25.

Mike's team will have @mvmac, @Golfingdad, and @tristanhilton85Β at the very least.

Then two years after that, we'll have it in our neck of the woods (the Erie/Cleveland/Columbus/Pittsburgh area).

Brainstorm away!

Would be neat to be a part of this but I'm pretty sure you are only looking at lower handicap players right? Other than that will you be videoing the match in any way so that those of us who aren't able to attend can watch the action?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

• Administrator
Would be neat to be a part of this but I'm pretty sure you are only looking at lower handicap players right? Other than that will you be videoing the match in any way so that those of us who aren't able to attend can watch the action?

No, not really. That might be the preference, but:

• I doubt we'll fill all eight spots with "low handicappers."
  • You'll be a low handicapper by next fall. ;-)

It's not going to be THAT serious a competition. Even if you're an 18, there could easily be a place for you. We're going to have to do some version of "first come first served" with a small bias towards balanced teams (i.e. it's tough on both players for a 4 to play an 18, and in the team competitions handicapping would get awkward).

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, we're brainstorming, and we're ruling nothing at all out.

I don't think we're going to video tape the matches. We'll be too busy playing in them. :)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I should be fine to do this.Β  Especially with this much advance notice.Β  I am not sure exactly about the format of this but I see there are a bunch of past threads about it so I will look through those.Β  Sounds like fun!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

• Administrator

I should be fine to do this.Β  Especially with this much advance notice.Β  I am not sure exactly about the format of this but I see there are a bunch of past threads about it so I will look through those.Β  Sounds like fun!

I don't think the past threads will be informative. We'll just do whatever makes the most sense this time around.

I don't think the past threads will be informative. We'll just do whatever makes the most sense this time around.

Okay, that sounds great.Β  I look forward to it.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

@Ernest Jones , @David in FL , @JetFan1983 , and @jamo would all be good choices for the "East" team if they can make it. (EJ counts even though he's in Canada, right?)

Obviously the "west" team will be easier to assemble since it's in our neck of the woods.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

@Ernest Jones , @David in FL , @JetFan1983 , and @jamo would all be good choices for the "East" team if they can make it. (EJ counts even though he's in Canada, right?) Obviously the "west" team will be easier to assemble since it's in our neck of the woods.

All depends on my financial situation, which could change a whole heck of a lot in a year and a half. But I'll do what I can to try to be there.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

If you'll have me, I'll be in. Depending on when, I might even be able plan around it (as opposed to just planning for it). I also hope to get under 18 hcp again by then, what with the book coming in and my first evolvr follow-up having gone well.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

You could also do: - a theme like 'only irons' (Iron man) - matchplay knock-out (winners play winners, loosers against each other) - matchplay fourball competition (all teams play each other) It is possible to combine this with west east, or California against te rest. Obviously I would prefer California against the rest of the world! Would this be a one day event? Maybe two days......

• Administrator
Three days probably.

Oooh, multiday golfing event, I am in!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Now you're talking. Would like that very much. Do'nt know if you guys are into sidegames like: - most fairway's hit - most greens hit - neary, tweary, quiry - etc Maybe thats a bit too touristic/funny? We could also do a pre or after round sidegame like: - nearest to the pin in x shots - know your distances in x shots - chipping contest - putting contest - combined chipping and putting contest (up-and-down) Afterwards we could discuss techniques (eufemism for drink a couple of beers and talk golf)

Intriguing... very intriguing. I love Ryder Cup format matches. I like the east vs west but feel sorry for the westerners. It just isn't fair to them. :-D

- Shane

Intriguing... very intriguing. I love Ryder Cup format matches. I like the east vs west but feel sorry for the westerners. It just isn't fair to them.

BOOM!! :dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

• 2 weeks later...
We could also make a theme-day like: - what happens when teeing it forward - what happens if you play like advised in 'lowest score wins' - etc

• Administrator

We could also make a theme-day like:

- what happens when teeing it forward

- what happens if you play like advised in 'lowest score wins'

- etc

Hi,

I like brainstorming. Keep the ideas coming. Even a bad or average idea could spur someone to come up with a great idea.

Note:Β This thread is 3334 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!